PDA

View Full Version : Segmented oak oval box with lid

Ad de Crom
11th October 2009, 01:48 AM
Got a while ago oak shelfs which is nice stuff for segmented work.
Made a few weeks ago a jewelry box for my grand-daughter, and got the request from my youngest daughter if she could get such a box too.
So I came on the idea to make this box segmented.
The axis dimensions 180x145mm, total height 90mm.
Finished with Acrylic transparent stain.
Made a few WIP pictures.
First of the box:
Second of the lid:
At last the finished box:
Thanks for looking.
Ad

artme
11th October 2009, 02:44 AM
OK Ad, that's enough practice now give us something really fancy!!!:D:D:q

Good work BTW>:2tsup::2tsup:

Texian
11th October 2009, 04:02 AM
Nice work Ad. And the plastic shield is a really smart idea.

Ed Reiss
11th October 2009, 12:04 PM
Ad, your doing great with the ovals :2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
12th October 2009, 07:47 AM
Your best oval turning yet, Ad! I like this one a lot. The segmenting looks great :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

munruben
12th October 2009, 08:59 AM
Love it.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
12th October 2009, 09:08 AM
Ad thats been a work of love from the Oval middle base you have worked around to cutting and final finish of the whole thing.

Thought you might like this as a teaser

http://drechslershop.de/drechselbank/steinert-picoval/oval-drechselbank-steinert-picoval.html

Sorry still haven't taken photo's of the one the Ornamental turners use here.:doh:

ElizaLeahy
12th October 2009, 10:11 AM
It looks almost like woven cane pattern! Very kewl Ad :)

Ad de Crom
12th October 2009, 05:58 PM
Ad thats been a work of love from the Oval middle base you have worked around to cutting and final finish of the whole thing.

Thought you might like this as a teaser

http://drechslershop.de/drechselbank/steinert-picoval/oval-drechselbank-steinert-picoval.html

Sorry still haven't taken photo's of the one the Ornamental turners use here.:doh:
Ray, this link is the Steiner oval turning lathe, simular with the Vicmarc, still to expensive with a price of about 4800 Euro, too much for a hobby turner like me. My wife kills me if I had the thought to buy it :o.
But I know this Steiner oval machine works very well.

Ad de Crom
12th October 2009, 06:14 PM
Thank you all very much for the comments.
Had to cut a lot of wood away before the oval shape appeared, on the round outside as well as on the inside. The difficult trick was to get it properly centered, did it almost for 90%. But after turning of 5 objects, my conclusion is, everything works well.
Ad