PDA

View Full Version : for the jaded turner who has everything

hughie
11th October 2009, 08:06 PM
For those who have a spare $16,000 odd lying around. Oh by the way don't forget to add the shipping and GST etc
. :U

Drechselbank steinert maximo - Drechselzentrum Erzgebirge - steinert (http://drechslershop.de/drechselbank/steinert-maximo/grundmodelle-maximo/drechselbank-steinert-maximo2.html)

I reckon at 600kg or so it would set you back $1000 shipping+ Custom agent fees + cartage from the wharf + GST, $20,000 should about cover it. :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
11th October 2009, 08:17 PM
I'd hope they throw in the engine hoist in that pricing :p:p

China
11th October 2009, 08:27 PM
Pity I 'll have to pass on this no more room

Ozkaban
12th October 2009, 07:46 AM
Shall we organise a group buy? :;

wheelinround
12th October 2009, 08:00 AM
Like their Oval turning machine Ovaldrehmaschine - Drechselzentrum Erzgebirge (http://www.drechselzentrum.de/ovaldrehn.html)
http://drechslershop.de/drechselbank/steinert-picoval/oval-drechselbank-steinert-picoval.html

Rum Pig
12th October 2009, 08:44 AM
One day:rolleyes: but only if it comes with English instructions:D:D

Paul39
12th October 2009, 10:36 AM
Here is the web site in English. Really a nice lathe, but a lot of money.

Welcome! - DRECHSELZENTRUM ERZGEBIRGE - steinert (http://www.steinert.eu/maximo_en/index.html)

petersemple
12th October 2009, 11:03 AM
Looks like a nice pen lathe.

Peter

Broda
12th October 2009, 11:07 AM
How much shellawax would it take to finish that!?!?:doh:

Ed Reiss
12th October 2009, 12:26 PM
hmmmm...wonder if they'll take my Carbatec mini in trade?:no::no::no::no:

Jim Carroll
12th October 2009, 12:44 PM
Love the bowl saver.

And he did wear his chaps.

Daddy3x
15th October 2009, 12:22 PM
Wifey must have walked by without stopping to see what lathe vid I was looking at now.

Without even stopping or hesitating I heard, "Don't even." One of those tones you just know not to even joke :no:

That is beastly. What is the largest lathe out there? Custom or factory?

Texian
15th October 2009, 01:03 PM
I definitely want the pneumatic tailstock with mine.

Paul39
15th October 2009, 02:08 PM
[QUOTE=Daddy3x;

That is beastly. What is the largest lathe out there? Custom or factory?[/QUOTE]

Biggest swing wood lathe I know of was built for the 2008 Prosperpine Turnout "Big Bowl" in Australia.

See: <cite>www.proserpinewoodturners.com/</cite>

Google "biggest wood turning lathe" for others. There is a guy in California who turns redwood stumps on a custom lathe. He swings stuff around 6 -7 feet in diameter.

, of this forum has a lathe with more than 32 ft. between centers.

Below is from the Schwamb Mill elliptical lathe, I think still in business, see:

The Old Schwamb Mill: Preservation (http://www.oldschwambmill.org/preservation/preservation.html)

http://www.oldschwambmill.org/research/images/Schwamb1905a.jpg
In the photo above, Clinton is on the left and Louis is on the right. The date "1905" was written by pencil on the print that was scanned. It was not written on the actual wooden frame.

I am sure others will chime in with ones they know of.

Texian
15th October 2009, 02:42 PM
Paul, Interesting site about the Schwamb Mill. Thanks for posting that.

munruben
15th October 2009, 05:24 PM
For those who have a spare $16,000 odd lying around. Oh by the way don't forget to add the shipping and GST etc
. :U

Drechselbank steinert maximo - Drechselzentrum Erzgebirge - steinert (http://drechslershop.de/drechselbank/steinert-maximo/grundmodelle-maximo/drechselbank-steinert-maximo2.html)

I reckon at 600kg or so it would set you back $1000 shipping+ Custom agent fees + cartage from the wharf + GST, $20,000 should about cover it. :2tsup:You mean some people haven't got one of those. :rolleyes:

joe greiner
15th October 2009, 07:52 PM
Paul, Interesting site about the Schwamb Mill. Thanks for posting that.

Forum search [schwamb] finds 5 more entries.

Cheers,
Joe

Wilco Flier
15th October 2009, 10:52 PM
I saw a movie on youtube, they mount a 250 kg log on the lathe, no problems! Beautifull machine, but to costly for me. Im very happy with my Nova 1624 i bought this week.

YouTube - Drechseln mit der steinert® maximo - Teil 2

artme
16th October 2009, 12:21 AM
:o:o:o Holy schitt!!

Mein vut luf for der fingeren to getten at der knobs und do sum gerfidlin mitt dat baby.:D:D:D

Grumpy John
16th October 2009, 07:27 AM
That's the lathe would have if he was into bowls, as it as he's only into finials, bloody big ones :p.

That guy could do with a bowl saver, he'd prolly get 42 bowls out of the blank :rolleyes:.

wheelinround
16th October 2009, 08:01 AM
Having watched a big Durden at Blue Mountains Club Open day it was awesome

Texian
16th October 2009, 02:16 PM
Good point Grumpy. Damn shame to waste all that good wood.

Manuka Jock
16th October 2009, 02:27 PM
That guy could do with a bowl saver, he'd prolly get 42 bowls out of the blank :rolleyes:.

He did , thats the last of them .
He's using the first one as a hot tub :2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
16th October 2009, 09:52 PM
That's the lathe would have if he was into bowls, as it as he's only into finials, bloody big ones :p.

He had a bowl saver, made by Husqvarna I think :p

NeilS
17th October 2009, 12:19 PM
I saw a movie on youtube, they mount a 250 kg log on the lathe, no problems! Beautifull machine......

Not sure I would ever get enough use from a lathe like that to justify the $s, BUT sure would love one of those 'bowl gouges' that was being used to turn the inside of that bowl...:U

And, yet another use for my Husky!

Manuka Jock
17th October 2009, 12:40 PM
Not sure I would ever get enough use from a lathe like that to justify the , BUT sure would love one of those 'bowl gouges' that was being used to turn the inside of that bowl...:U

And, yet another use for my Husky!

Mounted safely etc , it should be ok for the big jobs .

A 4ft bar and a decent chain :D

NeilS
18th October 2009, 08:41 AM
A 4ft bar and a decent chain :D

Drat... caught short again, only got a 28" bar....:-

Manuka Jock
18th October 2009, 09:05 AM
Drat... caught short again, only got a 28" bar....:-

No hot tub for you then eh , you only get a wee basin :p
and so do I :doh:

NeilS
19th October 2009, 10:06 AM
no hot tub for you then eh , you only get a wee basin :p
and so do i :doh:

:)

rsser
21st October 2009, 08:29 PM
Back OT, it's good to see the Germans give you options for trashing workpieces as well:

Website quote: Depending on the weight of the work piece you can choose between three acceleration and three breaking times.

Paul39
22nd October 2009, 03:36 AM
Nice to know when the bowl is going to explode so that you can be out of the way.

If you schedule a catch with the bowl being flung out of the chuck at 3 minutes and 43 seconds after starting, you could just not be cutting at that time and avoid the problem.