PDA

View Full Version : Hobbies, of Dereham, 1935 pattern

hawkinob
12th October 2009, 02:55 PM
Hi,
Was sent a copy of a Hobbies clock pattern (Fairy Clock No. 2059 dated 6 Apl 1935), I guess part of the 'Art Deco' time(?).Not impressed with the design at first but it has grown on me, also I seem to enjoy these patterns from the past, especially this one as I was about nine months old when it was published. The instructions suggested 3/16 ply with a dark wood for the overlays (around the clock) but I'm not a fan of ply - perhaps because decent ply is hard to get here in Oz - so it is in pine, roofing timber offcuts that I joined for width and then thinned. Finished with Danish Oil. Clock of course is a quartz insert and not the windup which would have been original. It measures nine and a half ins. by eight and a half
It went well and I'm smitten especially as with my level of expertise it stands up as intended!!
Regards,
Bob H.

wombatie
12th October 2009, 04:48 PM
Hi Bob. I love the clock. I'm not a fan of the big elaborate clocks, but this is great. Its not too big either. You did a marvelous job. By the way I like your kitchen too......

:; Marg

wheelinround
12th October 2009, 04:50 PM
VERY IMPRESSIVE:2tsup:

Gunado
12th October 2009, 04:54 PM
Hi Bob,
The clock looks great, I am into this type of scroll sawing and I am busy making jewerly boxes as well as music. How high does the clock stand, I would like to make one for my grand daughter. Can you point me in the dirtection I where I can get a copy of the pattern.

Keep up the scroll sawing good to see others in the forum.

Phill

hawkinob
12th October 2009, 05:47 PM
Thank you for the responses and Marg - not my kitchen!! Not interested as I'm not allowed to saw in there only for pictures.
Bob H.

keju
12th October 2009, 09:04 PM
lol.. I was about to comment on that VERY neat and clean kitchen..... don;'t know about you , Marge... but I'm too busy making sawdust in one of our bedrooms to ever even dream of having a kitchen that neat! lol

Juvy

wombatie
13th October 2009, 04:06 PM
Neat kitchen what's one of those????????? I don't even like cooking in one. :U

Marg

keju
13th October 2009, 04:40 PM
Kitchen is where you sit around the table with your fellow woodies, have coffee and talk about all things wood related.... :)
When it's time to actually eat you have to push all the magazines , books and plans aside or move them to some other flat surface.... ... then you have to also pic up the placemats, take them outside to shake the sawdust off.... because during all that talking you sat there sanding some pieces...... :)

Juvy