PDA

View Full Version : Table Top Width vs Weight it can hold

silas
13th October 2009, 11:56 AM
Is there a simple chart for working out how much weight varying lengths of wood can hold? I am designing a table and need to know how wide it can go before I need to fit middle legs. I know this can depend on a huge number of factors!

I was looking online for guides but found nothing.

Eldanos of KDM
13th October 2009, 11:27 PM
Well I suppose you first would need to figure out how long and wide you want the table to be, what timber you'd use and its quality, the thickness of that timber and what you'd want to sit on it. Is it a dining table? Coffee table? Try to make the question a little easier to answer and this site can be a goldmine of excellent and wise information.

Since noone excellent and/or wise has replied I'll have a go.

With limited information at hand I'll have to make a few assumptions if I may:)
Assuming the thickness of the top is 1 1/2" and the timber is of a medium density/hardness, I reckon maybe 3 1/2 to 4'(1050-1200mm) between legs would be a safe option along the length of the grain; and a bit less across (maybe 800mm, you do the conversion).
Oh and if this is your first go, make sure do a bit of research on how to glue up the boards you'll use to make up the top so that each board is cut in an opposite direction to each one next to it for added strength and to stop it from warping unevenly?. ( I'm really tired sorry and I can't explain it right now).

Any better ideas lads and ladettes?

By the way we're not racists over here:) Just if you were wondering.

silas
14th October 2009, 12:53 AM
Many thanks for the advice; I will take it all on board. :U I can tell you that I was aiming for a table length (or width, however you prefer) of 78 “which is 6.5’, so my hope of using only one set of legs at each end have been dashed if I go by your calculation. You think changing the thickness and type of wood could get me to a point where only one set of legs at either end would be safe?

silas
14th October 2009, 03:22 AM
ok, daunted by carpentry i've thought about ordering a block of wood,

2" thick x 24" x 78" Edge Grain Maple, Ash, or
Red Oak. I'd like to know if I could simply buy legs that I could attach to this and have a table, or is there more to it than sticking legs on it :rolleyes:

78" is long, again i'd like to know if this would sustain any significant weight using just sets of legs at either end.

Pat
14th October 2009, 07:18 AM
78" = 1981.2mm

The attached pic will explain the anatomy of a table (http://www.motherearthnews.com/uploadedFiles/articles/issues/2008-10-01/pg54.pdf).

artme
14th October 2009, 07:30 AM
G'day Silas and welcome to the forums.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Mate, you simply can't just "stick a set of legs either end" of a board and hope you have a table. The reference given by pat hows a very basic table but it is the principal of construction that is important.

Rails do tw things:

#They provide anchorage points for legs and

#They add load bearing strength without significantly increasing weight.

If you are going to spend money on good timber then do the job as well as possible, even if the design is basic.

silas
14th October 2009, 07:46 AM
The reference given by pat is a big help but it looks to be beyond my skill level. I was naive thinking I could coble something together and hope for the best.

I wonder, do you guys know of sites online that can take a customers brief and turn it into something? I'd love to leave it to the experts, does anyone on here do bespoke work?

Eldanos of KDM
14th October 2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah sure, I'd gladly do it for you! I'm reasonable priced, but I'm not sure how much freight'd be:)

There is a lot to think about. Don't give up it's not too hard.
It's basically just four legs, four rails and a top.
Good luck!

artme
15th October 2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah sure, I'd gladly do it for you! I'm reasonable priced, but I'm not sure how much freight'd be:)

Good luck!

Nah! Wrong approach Eldanos. If Silas pays the fare you could go over there and make it for him.:D:D:p:p

silas
15th October 2009, 04:06 AM

Good luck!

have you got any examples of your work? i'd be interested, if you create contemporary stuff :2tsup:

Eldanos of KDM
16th October 2009, 02:55 PM
Hi!
I have a few pics up in my album located in my profile Silas, with more to come soon. I would love to do the work (I could even use some lovely local timbers from here) but we'd have to find a way to get the completed work to you. I'm in Sydney Australia :)

I could flatpack and you'd just need to glue it up?
It might be easiest to find a local cabinetmaker or furniture maker/designe in your local area, though. I'm sure there are many.
Kind regards, Dane