PDA

View Full Version : Dome Construction

station-rat
8th August 2004, 07:30 PM
Hi Guys
Does anybody have any expierience building wooden framed domes?
Thanks
Ken :)

Robert WA
8th August 2004, 07:43 PM
Hi Guys
Does anybody have any expierience building wooden framed domes?
Thanks

What sort of dome?

The June 04 issue The Australian Woodworker has an article, page 78, on building a geodesic cubby house. The principal could be used to build a frameless dome of sorts.

Rob

station-rat
8th August 2004, 08:23 PM
Hi Robert
This is the dome that I am interested in buildinghttp://www.gardendome.com/octa_xt/octa_dome_4_xt.html
Thanks

ozwinner
8th August 2004, 09:51 PM
WHY????

Al

Robert WA
8th August 2004, 11:11 PM
As Al says, Why?

If you happen to be passing through Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the near future, go see the Domes. They are part of a botanical gardens and allow for climate control so that flors, and fauna, from different climates can be displayed.

As to constructing a dome of the type you want, that is beyond me. The sizes and angles of each section are, no doubt, calculable, but I don't know how you would do it. One of the computer boffins on here can probably do that for you.

bitingmidge
8th August 2004, 11:23 PM
WHY????Al

Ohhhh sigh!!!! Al, Robert, .... the JOURNEY remember!
...all this time I thought you guys were lovers not fighters....peace man...

It's all about the concentration of energy........ or something more cosmic, man.

When my hair was MUCH longer (and more prolific) I confess I did build a couple on various properties... used a couple of different techniques. I still have a copy of "Domebook" which will have the answers to all your questions including a connector which is probably the one these guys based their patented one on.

We used to use 2" pipe, and a 1/2" hole through the end of the frame, twitched tightly with heavy baling wire.

Any questions just ask!

Cheers,

hipPy.

Robert WA
8th August 2004, 11:32 PM
LOL BM.
I remember those days too, but I was more interested in the free love bit than the "cosmic" living thing.
Regardless of that, I had the long hair, to my shoulders, and the flares. They were good days, man.
Rob

bsrlee
9th August 2004, 04:22 AM
Try 'Google-ing' for - Geodesic Dome. There are several sites of varying use on DIY domes, ranging from plastic conduit & plastic sheet duct taped on up to serious major construction projects.

You can always try out a conduit & plastic one to see if you like it & want to outlay the big bikkies for am Arcology. ;)

seriph1
21st August 2004, 07:46 PM
dear old buckie fuller - I remember him fondly - bloody genius

bitingmidge
21st August 2004, 10:21 PM
Steve,.

How right you are! I keep a regular eye on The Buckminster Fuller Institute (http://www.bfi.org/) website (his 109th birthday was celebrated last month with a commemorative stamp in his honour).

Station Rat,
Have you gotten over your dome-thing yet..or did you just want to see a bunch of old hippies go misty eyed for a bit?

P
:D :D :D