PDA

View Full Version : Not real happy with my first attempt

munruben
14th October 2009, 05:29 PM
Okay, so I tried. Didn't work out too good so I didn't bother to finish it other than just rubbed it over with Tung oil to liven it up a bit. I wanted the grain on the draw front to run the other way so I gave up on it but, it has given me the inspiration to do better and I will try to make sure I don't make the same mistake again when I do the next one.
I wasn't going to show it on here but I showed it to another forum member and he reckoned I should finish it but I think I will just use this example as a learning curve. It was fun to do and I will do better next time. At least it has given me an insight as to the making of a simple box so I guess I can only move forward from here.
Don't be too hard on me guys after all it is my first attempt. :)

wheelinround
14th October 2009, 05:49 PM
John better than me I haven't got a bandsaw to even try one.

I like it grain run and all.:2tsup:

whats the size:?

clogger
14th October 2009, 07:45 PM
Good effort. I've yet to attempt a bandsawn box; got the bandsaw, got the instructions (courtesy of this forum) but haven't yet got the time (or the wood).

Sir Stinkalot
14th October 2009, 08:00 PM
John .... there is nothing wrong with that for a first effort and you should be quite proud.

If I could be so bold to offer a few suggestions for MKII ....

On the drawer in your image you can clearly see the line where you cut off the front of the drawer before cutting out the middle. This has resulted in a thick front of lets say 10mm. I find that in this case if you aim to give a generous round over from the drawer front in a wide sweeping curve up to this line it will almost disappear. When you open the drawer you will also only see a thin section at the top (not the entire 10mm) as it too has been formed into the drawer front. If you have been generous enough on your rounding over there should be very little, if any at all, flat area left on the front of the box ..... if possible just leave enough to attach the handle.

I also take the same approach to the back of the drawer, and also the back of the box. Anywhere you have cut off a section and re-glued give a very generous sweeping round over up to the line and it will almost disappear.

Similarly with the front of the box if you take out the drawer you will be left with the outer frame. You will end up with a pleasing result if you draw a line around half way around and aim at rolling over the outer edge to the middle and then the draw void edge back out to the centre line. With any luck you will end up with a rounded front edge with now flat spot in the middle.

In my eye this will leave a very free flowing form which will match the overall flowing shape. It might just be me but I find if this rounding over isn't done the outside shape of the box looks very fluid with some very harsh shapes cut into it. The box will look so smooth it will just cry out to be handled.

As for finishing you cant go past danish oil, buffed with Ubeaut EEE and then Ubeaut traditional wax ..... the key here is to buff with the Ubeaut swansdown mop to get a great shine and easy finish.

Again it was a very good first attempt and I hope my comments will be viewed with the intention of perhaps assisting with the second.

Cheers

Stinky.

munruben
14th October 2009, 08:13 PM
Thanks SS appreciate the comments and I welcome your advice. I have printed out your post so I can re-read it over and over and I may even try to practice on the box already made. :) Thanks for taking the time to help me out here. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
14th October 2009, 08:17 PM
I like it grain run and all.:2tsup:
whats the size:?Thanks Ray for your kind words. The box measures 11cm x 6cm x 6 cm. I will try what SS suggested next time.:)

Sir Stinkalot
14th October 2009, 08:32 PM
Thanks SS appreciate the comments and I welcome your advice. I have printed out your post so I can re-read it over and over and I may even try to practice on the box already made. :) Thanks for taking the time to help me out here. :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

John .... its sounds complex so perhaps some images will help.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f60/first-run-band-saw-boxes-40118/ contains my first run of boxes. The first image is my first ever box .... as you can see quite thick in the drawer front and quite flat. Image three ..... the same shape box has more rounding like what I was trying to explain in the lengthy post ....

AUSSIE
14th October 2009, 09:20 PM
Looks OK to me John.I must give this a go myself shortly.Been looking at them.Just never got around to trying yet:2tsup:

Touchwood
15th October 2009, 12:28 AM
But did you have fun? Surely that is as important as the end product. If you had fun you are very likely to try again and again, learning as you go.

I will also try SS's finishing idea - thanks for that.

keep playing and show us some more
JD
:2tsup:

artme
15th October 2009, 01:13 AM
Looks OK to me old mate!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Only problem you really had was the lack of my supervision!!:q:q:q

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th October 2009, 02:14 AM
Looks OK to me old mate!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

To me, too. :yes:

Still, as it's a first I'll bet you learned a lot. :)

munruben
18th October 2009, 09:56 AM
Thanks aain for your comments guys, Yes I have learned a lot from the first attempt and I will definitely be making more. Evereyon here have been very encouraging and I have taken all your advice on board. Will be posting pics as soon as I make another attempt. Several projects going at the moment so not sure when it will be but I find it challenging and fun.

munruben
18th October 2009, 10:00 AM
John .... its sounds complex so perhaps some images will help.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f60/first-run-band-saw-boxes-40118/ contains my first run of boxes. The first image is my first ever box .... as you can see quite thick in the drawer front and quite flat. Image three ..... the same shape box has more rounding like what I was trying to explain in the lengthy post ....
Thanks for that SS Great looking boxes for your first attempt. :2tsup:

munruben
18th October 2009, 10:15 AM
You guys have been so encouraging I played around with the box a bit. I think it looks better and I see where I can make improvements on my next one. So like someone once said in a famous movie..."I'll be back"\

P.S. I still didn't put a finish on it but I may get around to it.

skot
19th October 2009, 07:45 PM
Munruben,

That is a great 1st effort. My first attempt was a "DOG" of bandsaw box that I think I gave to the dog to chew.....Keep going on them.

munruben
19th October 2009, 08:22 PM
Munruben,

That is a great 1st effort. My first attempt was a "DOG" of bandsaw box that I think I gave to the dog to chew.....Keep going on them.Thanks, I appreciate your comments.:2tsup:

Sir Stinkalot
24th October 2009, 09:32 AM
Hi John ...... I think that the profile has come along well and is starting to look like a fluid flowing form now and more natural. The rounding over of the front of the drawer, particularly when closed creates depth and interesting shadows when closed. In my view it now looks like something that has been crafted beyond cutting out the basic shape on the bandsaw.

I am just finishing up another batch this weekend. On one box during the week I spent 4hrs just shaping and sanding the final form with another 1 or 2 hours to go. This is in addition to the time to prepare the timber and actually cut it all out on the bandsaw. They should be called sanding and shaping boxes ..... as it is 90% of the time and the bandsaw is only 10%.

It will be a shame not to see a finish put on it ..... when finished with an oil the grain will jump out and you will see grain patterns which are not visible at the moment .... you will be rewarded for the additional sanding and shaping time that you put in. Just make sure that you sand up to at least 400 grit min to get the best results.

Look forward to MKII.

Cheers

Stinky.

munruben
24th October 2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks SS. I hope you post pics of your new project when finished. :2tsup:

hungry
17th November 2009, 10:00 PM
I think you have done a good job and it looks great