PDA

View Full Version : warts 'n' all

corbs
14th October 2009, 07:34 PM
Hey all,
Here are a few bowls that I have been working on lately. I experimented with the first camphor bowl to see how thin I could get it. I got it to 5mm and had a catch trying for 4:-. Glued the bits that I could find back in and finished it off:2tsup:. The second camphor one is about 6-7mm thick (didn't measure) but feels chunky compared to the first one). The last one was a play with some wood the parents sent me. Its either spalted beech or birch? Finish on the first two is scandanavian oil, small one is shellawax glow.

Corbs

Sawdust Maker
14th October 2009, 09:20 PM
The CL looks good, nice grain and quilting
wouldn't worry too much about the first one, will still hold fruit :D

you can send me the little spalted bowl if you like

artme
14th October 2009, 10:12 PM
I will give you a pass for each Corbs!!:D:D:D

Spalted bowl is worth a bit more.:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
14th October 2009, 10:14 PM
I like the form of the first shallow bowl, but I've always liked that profile. It looks more... elegant. :2tsup:

Pity about the dig-in, but them's the breaks. :;

corbs
14th October 2009, 10:30 PM
Thanks guys... the one with the catch was a bit heartbreaking as I was really enjoying turning it and the wood is a really nice piece

Rum Pig
15th October 2009, 08:45 AM
Pitty about the catch but I think they are all OK. Well done:2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
15th October 2009, 09:16 AM
Nice pieces of wood and nice bowls. At least you get to keep the first one. :cool: (Its always the "Just a bit more" run that gets it. :doh:Were you sheer scrapping? )

corbs
15th October 2009, 09:46 AM
...Were you sheer scrapping? )

Should have been, but don't have a handle on my scraper yet... so no:doh:

Mulgabill
15th October 2009, 04:51 PM
Hey all,
,,,Finish on the first two is scandanavian oil...

Corbs
Hey Corbs! we'll have to have a discussion on the Scandinavian oil finish some time! They came up well.

jefferson
15th October 2009, 05:02 PM
Corbs, at great first effort. :2tsup: (How did you go with the fumes? Did the camphor clear the sinuses?)

Now.... if you had read the 100 Turning Tips thread......

If you put decorative rings on the base, you put only two. Any more and then you must measure. So when the anal turners flip the bowl or platter over, all is in proportion.

corbs
15th October 2009, 05:57 PM
Russell,
If I get the time off and head down to my parents for the Melbourne Cup weekend a few of the bowls will be coming with me for family/friends. I have a White Cedar one on the go at the moment which I am finishing with hard burninshing oil. Its finished, just have to wait 24-48 hours before buffing. Should give a satin finish and I will probably put some traditional wax over the top. As I said earlier, still experimenting with finishes.

Jefferson,
I read the thread after I had put the lines in the base:wink:... but as these are among my first 5 bowls, I am happy to have a few mistakes in them.

Mulgabill
15th October 2009, 06:16 PM
Thank Corbs, I hope I get the chance to see the pieces. I will contact you later. Keep up the good work.:2tsup:

artme
16th October 2009, 12:22 AM
Should have been, but don't have a handle on my scraper yet... so no:doh:

Silly boy!!!!:q:q:q

munruben
16th October 2009, 01:46 PM
Nice work, shame about the catch but all in the process of learning. Nice figured CL and nicely finished. Looks great. :2tsup: