PDA

View Full Version : NSW:Swap Swap small bits of mulberry for you tell me

Eldanos of KDM
15th October 2009, 08:37 AM
Can make some mulberry pen blanks out of the heaps of offcuts I'm getting. (I have been cutting it up at about 40x40x140mm for myself (chisel handles) so if you want them slightly bigger than pen blanks let me know) It's a lovely orange timber.

I don't really turn up pens or anything, but if you have anything at all interesting maybe you could send it? like little strips for inlays or offcuts from something. I don't really care too much:)

By the way, the mulberry is quite green but VERY stable. it's amazing stuff.:cool:

Bitslong
16th October 2009, 10:15 PM
I shall google it myself soon, but if it's not too hard would you show us some pics? I'm only curious - I don't have any timber but have several old mulberry trees on the farm (No way I'd cut them down - the fruit are worth so much more IMO!)

:D

Sawdust Maker
17th October 2009, 10:54 PM
Give me some and I'll make you a pen or two

Eldanos of KDM
18th October 2009, 09:31 PM
I shall google it myself soon, but if it's not too hard would you show us some pics? I'm only curious - I don't have any timber but have several old mulberry trees on the farm (No way I'd cut them down - the fruit are worth so much more IMO!)

:D
I agree, I've spent days eating the fruit and dirtying up my hands and clothes:) My Mum told me that the best way to get a mulberry stain out is by rubbing more of the fruit over the stain just prior to washing. Just thought I'd throw a little fact in there:2tsup: Heard a few complain about birds crapping on their cars and clotheslines after eating them. Here's that photo.
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/EldanosofKDM/Timber%20Identification/Photo393.jpg

Give me some and I'll make you a pen or two
Sounds like a bit of an unfair deal mate, How about I send you some for free and pay you to make me a pen. I'm sure there's a bit of work in it:) PM me if you want :cool:

pjt
27th October 2009, 11:53 PM
Hi Eldanos,
We have a mulberry tree in our backyard, unfortunatley the birds get most of the fruit
I have cut the odd branch off and have noticed a dark heartwood in ours, Im not sure if that is true heartwood (the dark center section) with a wide sapwood or whether it is some sort of fungas/colouring like Black Heart Sassafrass gets
I have to take a pic. your pics don't show it. Does any of yours have a dark center?
Peter

Brigalow
13th December 2009, 09:48 PM
I agree, I've spent days eating the fruit and dirtying up my hands and clothes:) My Mum told me that the best way to get a mulberry stain out is by rubbing more of the fruit over the stain just prior to washing. Just thought I'd throw a little fact in there:2tsup: Heard a few complain about birds crapping on their cars and clotheslines after eating them. Here's that photo.
http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/EldanosofKDM/Timber%20Identification/Photo393.jpg

Sounds like a bit of an unfair deal mate, How about I send you some for free and pay you to make me a pen. I'm sure there's a bit of work in it:) PM me if you want :cool:

Not just cars and clotheslines you've got to worry about, mate.
A few years back when I was still living in Gods own country (Queensland for you outa staters) my father-in-law had four or five mulberry trees behind the tractor shed. The flying foxes absolutely loved them.
My father-in-law not being too fussed on flying foxes went out one evening with the shottie to give them a bit of a rattle on.
First and last time he ever did that.
Dunno if you've ever scared a flying fox, but the first thing they do is....how do I put this politely?
Well let's just say he came back to the house with his previously shiney bald head stained purple and a bit unpleasant to be downwind of. :-

Geraint