PDA

View Full Version : Melbourne $&#%$ Showgrounds??!?

John G
16th October 2009, 01:03 PM
I had it all so beatifully planned...
Didn't go last year because we were renting and all the WW gear was in storage. Keen to go this year because I have a beautiful new house with an empty shed crying out for new stuff...

So I organise for the afternoon off work because we know it's much less busy on Friday than it is on the weekend.
Got my list of things to get because I "only" have 3-4 hours? Check.
Got my woodwork forum id card printed? Check.
Got my $10 special entry price form printed? Check.

Finish work for the day, then leave my CBD office and walk across the river to Jeff's shed...
Walk past the baby expo... walk past the green building expo... walk past other expos... hang on, ?
Check the entry form: October 16? Yep that's right.
Then as I read on, a horrible feeling comes over me...
Melbourne friggin showgrounds...

Devastated, I trudge back to work...

chrisb691
16th October 2009, 01:27 PM
So the weekend is now looking good. :D

tea lady
16th October 2009, 02:17 PM
:doh:

arose62
16th October 2009, 03:39 PM
Please explain??

As a non-Melbournian, I am frothing at the mouth ready to sympathise with you, but I don't understand what went wrong....

Ozkaban
16th October 2009, 03:45 PM
I imagine it would be as fun as mixing up Sydney Showgrounds in moore park and Homebush bay... (for Non-syd people, they're about 30km apart)

You have my sincere sympathies! I'd be gutted :no:

Cheers,
Dave

Sturdee
16th October 2009, 03:49 PM
Then as I read on, a horrible feeling comes over me...
Melbourne friggin showgrounds...

Devastated, I trudge back to work...

It was there last year as well. :D

Peter.

jmk89
16th October 2009, 03:56 PM
Please explain??

As a non-Melbournian, I am frothing at the mouth ready to sympathise with you, but I don't understand what went wrong....

This might explain:

John G
16th October 2009, 04:15 PM
Please explain??
Up until last year the show was always in the city, so you could get there via train (or walk from work).
This year and last, it's at the Melbourne showgrounds, which basically you have to drive to. And if you work in the city, unless you took the day off, it basically means you have to go on the weekend with all the other riff-raff, um, I mean, fellow wonderful woodies.

By all accounts, the showgrounds are a better venue (if you don't work in the city, or are coming from the country, not sure it is better if you live in the south east), but not a better venue if you work 100m from the exhibition centre!

Lignum
16th October 2009, 04:51 PM
Please explain??

It would be like a Melbournian getting on a flight to Paris only to wake up and realise you ended up in Sydney. You would be devastated:rolleyes:

Ozkaban
16th October 2009, 05:58 PM
It would be like a Melbournian getting on a flight to Paris only to wake up and realise you ended up in Sydney. You would be devastated:rolleyes:

And yet, you'd be left wondering what that lovely, warm bright yellow thing in the sky was, seeing it for the first time :q

Lignum
16th October 2009, 06:07 PM
And yet, you'd be left wondering what that lovely, warm bright yellow thing in the sky was, seeing it for the first time :q

That would be the sight of the face of the off duty nurse, who was also on the same flight resuscitating me.:D

Expat
19th October 2009, 04:22 AM
Imagine being from Brisbane and winding in either Melbourne or Sydney! The horror! The horror!:p

Kev Y.
19th October 2009, 09:14 AM
. And if you work in the city, unless you took the day off, it basically means you have to go on the weekend with all the other riff-raff, um, I mean, fellow wonderful woodies.

By all accounts, the showgrounds are a better venue (if you don't work in the city, or are coming from the country, not sure it is better if you live in the south east), but not a better venue if you work 100m from the exhibition centre!

John, I came in from the country, caught the train in to Flinders Street, crossed into Elizabeth Street, and stepped straight onto the Number 57 Tram, stepped of at stop 33 right in front of the venue.. sorry dont see a problem here

Kev

Waldo
19th October 2009, 09:49 AM
Done a similar thing before. There was an Adobe Roadshow on at the Etihad stadium. I got up early on a Winter day to freeze on the platform in the rain to catch the train into town.

Get there with time to spare and walk casually to the room it's always held in and nobody was there. Asked the girl at the information desk outside the stadium and checks, "It's on tomorrow."

:doh: I had an inkling it was on a Thursday but not the Wednesday as I had turned up for, but my watch a day ahead of itself says it's on today.

So I trudge back to the station in the rain and go home. I couldn't be bothered turning up for it the next day after the grief of the mornings events. :no:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th October 2009, 05:56 PM
:rolleyes:

On another forum I'd bought something off a bloke in Croydon. Henry Rd, from memory.

Bank xfer wen through, so we arranged a day for me to pick it up. I printed out his address on a bit of paper and lobbed on his doorstep, where a little old italian woman answers the door. I say I'm here to pick up the item and she gives me a blank look. I ask is such'n'such a bloke there and she gives me another blank look, tells me I have the wrong address and shuts the door in my face.

I knocked again, but she didn't answer.

Going back to the street, I checked the house number. Yep, the right one. I'm feeling both puzzled and peeved about now, when I notice that at the end of the address on my scrap of paper is SA... and I'm in VIC.

I went home and arranged for alternate transport. :B