PDA

View Full Version : trolling

lubbing5cherubs
16th October 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi Can anyone tell me how do you set up a line to troll?? Do you use a lure and what kind? Live bait?? Best tips so maybe we will catch a fish instead of going boating. My husband and I love fishing we know nothing about it, We moved from the outback to the city and found a new hobby that the whole family love
so i thought I get brave and ask some questions. We got a pedal kayak now that they said travels at the perfect speed for trolling hence the question?
thanks Toni

bsrlee
18th October 2009, 02:18 AM
I used to go fishing with my late father a lot when I was younger. I never had much luck with lures despite trying with several different varieties - other keen fishermen swear by them. If you can catch your own bait you are well ahead money wise, rather than buying lures for $5 > $20+ each. Of course if lures work for you then you can make your own.

My general advice: look around the environment - what sorts of baits are there that occur naturally? Case: for several years we hollidayed at 'Boambee Creek' near Sawtell, NSW. The local creek had lots of oysters on rocks and 'nippers' - a sort of many legged thing with a huge claw that lived in the sand banks. All the local fish would bite on was 'nippers' or bits of fish if they were big (like 3-4 foot flatheads). Prawns were absolutely useless, you couldn't force the local fish to eat them - as they didn't occur in the creek for some reason. Even on the surf beach they ignored prawns & only took nippers. All you did was go out with a 'yabbie pump' & bucket at low tide and 'pump' sand & nippers out of the banks until you though you had enough for a day's fishing.

Look at what the locals are using as a rig. One hook or multiple hooks, generally big hooks will only catch big fish, small hooks can catch anything.
Big sinker or little sinker, what shape sinker, is it running on the main line above a swivel or is it on its own line ( a 'Y' shaped rig) from a ring? People usually use slightly different rigs for fishing from a wall or wharf, from a row boat, in rivers or shallow harbours, deep harbours & 'outside'.

Depending on where you want to go fishing you may also find it a lot less tiring to just drift along the channels with a couple of lines over the side & see what has a nibble rather than thrashing away dragging a lump of plastic for miles.

The local library should be worth a look for some ideas, just try to get books written for Australia rather than the stuff written for the US & UK market which is flogged to unsuspecting libraries.

Ad de Crom
18th October 2009, 04:53 AM
Hi Can anyone tell me how do you set up a line to troll?? Do you use a lure and what kind? Live bait?? Best tips so maybe we will catch a fish instead of going boating. My husband and I love fishing we know nothing about it, We moved from the outback to the city and found a new hobby that the whole family love
so i thought I get brave and ask some questions. We got a pedal kayak now that they said travels at the perfect speed for trolling hence the question?
thanks Toni
Hoi Toni, I'm a fisherman too (only when te weather is fine)
Have a fishing paradise in my backyard, the river ''the Eastern Schelde''.
A couple of years ago I watched always to the fishing adventures of Rex Hunt, and his companions. Think you know him as well as I do, because he's from Down Under. Easy for you to contact him for a couple of questions.
Ad