PDA

View Full Version : Looking for .............

Woodlee
17th October 2009, 01:06 AM
A friend of mine has just acquired a Hercus lathe ,not sure what model it is but is the same as this one in post No 58 in this thread link ,
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f189/show-us-your-hercus-84308/index4.html

I had a quick look at it this morning and it looks to be in excellent condition, even the original paint (pale green) is hardly chipped or scratched.It has a McPhersons plate on the tailstock end front foot .

The three jaw chuck that came with it is missing one jaw from the normal jaw set and two from the outside jaws .
The chuck is a Bernerd N30-MC 4 " and is in good condition apart from the missing jaws .
I'll be stripping it down and giving it a good clean next week end .

I was wondering if anyone has a set/sets of jaws that would fit this chuck .
I know there is a member on this forum who breaks these lathes down for spares and was hoping I could pick up ( buy, ) some replacement jaws to get him started.

Cheers
Kev.

steran50
17th October 2009, 10:38 AM
HI Woodlee,
To Me that Hercus in Post No. 58 looks like a Model 'AR' Hercus Lathe. Which means a Model A with (R) Roller Bearings in it. Sorry can't help with Chuck Jaws.
All The Best:) steran50 Stewart

Woodlee
18th October 2009, 10:10 PM
Not sure about roller bearings .My friends lathe has small oil cups on the spindle bearings .
Think I may have sorted the chuck jaw problem with a contact in he Uk.

Kev.

steran50
21st October 2009, 09:07 PM
HI Woodlee,
Both the Plain and Roller Bearing (Spindle Bearings) Hercus Lathes have Oil Cups on them. The Plain Bearing Headstock Hercus type has them on the front and on the top of the Headstock for the Plain Spindle Bearings. The Roller Bearing Headstock Hercus type has them only the front of the Headstock for the Roller Spindle Bearings. The Headstock types are Physically different from one another. The Roller Bearing type Bells out at the front between the Spindle Bearings. The Plain Bearing type is flat at the front and is lower between the Spindle Beaings. In the same Link Your Post sent Me to - No. 4 and No.61 are both the Plain Bearing Type Headstocks, And No. 14 and No. 58 are the Roller Bearing Type Headstocks. Also just coincidently both No.14 and No. 58 are Model 'A' Hercus Lathes. If You go to this Link the Pictures are easier to see Page Title (http://www.lathes.co.uk/hercus/index.html) . The Lathe at the Top is a Plain Bearing Type.The Lathe at the Bottom is a Roller Bearing Type. There is also other Info and Pics if You click on the other Links on that Page.
All The Best:) steran50 Stewart