PDA

View Full Version : new to pine flooring

ivydale
17th October 2009, 02:55 AM
G'day everybody from here in West Virginia,USA.I am building a new house after our last house burnt down and I am installing 2x6 T&G heart pine flooring and was wondering if anybody could give me the heads up if they fill between the boards b4 sanding?I kinda like the old look but i want the floor to last.Any feedback at all would be appreciated.,just a shoe-be here.

artme
17th October 2009, 03:46 AM
G'day ivydale and welcome to the workshop.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sorry to hear of your woes with the house burning down. Just trust everyone is OK and that you were insured.

Not sure about American pines but I think the same general rules apply to T&G flooring everywhere.

Even if the timber is seasoned or kiln dried I would lay it in the room or rooms to be floored without nailing it permanently in place. Let it sit for at least a week, This allows for some acclimatization Then set to work with the permanent nailing, making sure to cramp it up with floor cramps as you go. Punch and putty all nails

One in place, sand seal, coat and forget.

Fillig gaps should not be needed.

Papa
17th October 2009, 04:10 AM
T&G should be nailed in the tongue and there should be no nail holes.

I would recommend renting or finding a nailer at a pawn shop. You
really don't need an air one, the manuals work fine.

Manual and air powered hardwood flooring nailers at Nail Gun Depot 888-720-7892. (http://www.nailgundepot.com/shop/catalog/Nailers_Flooring_Nailers-p-1-c-591.html)

ivydale
17th October 2009, 04:26 AM
thank you for the quick replies!will take every ones recommendations .

munruben
17th October 2009, 11:29 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the fire but as long as everyone is ok thats what matters.

artme
17th October 2009, 10:50 PM
T&G should be nailed in the tongue and there should be no nail holes.

I would recommend renting or finding a nailer at a pawn shop. You
really don't need an air one, the manuals work fine.

Manual and air powered hardwood flooring nailers at Nail Gun Depot 888-720-7892. (http://www.nailgundepot.com/shop/catalog/Nailers_Flooring_Nailers-p-1-c-591.html)

Papa,do you think ONE nail per joist per board on 6" boards is enough??

The old style secret nailed boards were 0nly 3" wide ( from memory.

shanetorque
20th October 2009, 08:55 AM
Here in Australia boards over 86mm require two methods of fixing; Top Nailing or secret nailing or Glueing (to acheive a 90% coverage of adhesive)

In Short to your original question... NO do not fill between the boards. If the boards expand in the future the filler will pop out and take the coating with it.