PDA

View Full Version : Rosette Cutter

Termite
9th August 2004, 01:35 PM
Any idea where I can get a Rosette cutter no bigger than 50mm, prefer less.
Carbatec - both types too big. Carbitool don't make them.
Any advice appreciated
Termite

Barry_White
9th August 2004, 05:15 PM
You could try here. Their smallest though is 21/8"

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=5434&objectgroup_id=439&catid=7&filter=Rosette%20Cutter

bitingmidge
9th August 2004, 06:07 PM
woodcraft.com (http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=903&gift=False&mscssid=031BA94A8AFD84EDC922AC1A4DBF1415) have wheelcutters down to 1 3/8 which will do a fair Rosette impersonation.

Cheers,

P

Termite
10th August 2004, 11:00 AM
Thanks folks. Finally found 1 1/2" & 1 3/4" at McJing.
regards
Termite

Peter R
30th September 2004, 09:57 PM
Have purchased a Carbatec Rosette Cutter and two different blades. Tried it out today and was not happy with the way it roughed the across grain beyond recovery.
I use a fair bit of recycled timber and I don't think that I will have any success in that regard unless I come across some tight grain stuff.
Does anyone have suggestions regards types of softwood timber that would be suitable?
It is also suggested that the tool can be used for panel cutting - don't know about that one, yet.

Any comments?

Peter R.

rodm
1st October 2004, 12:47 AM
Peter,
I am assuming you are using it in a drill press with the material clamped firmly to the table. Try increasing the speed of the drill press and decreasing your feed rate. If you get burning then the opposite applies.

Termite
1st October 2004, 08:58 AM
Rosette cutters are usually run at between 300-500rpm. with the timber firmly clamped. It also helps if the quill in your drill press has no end play.

Peter R
1st October 2004, 04:33 PM
Peter,
I am assuming you are using it in a drill press with the material clamped firmly to the table. Try increasing the speed of the drill press and decreasing your feed rate. If you get burning then the opposite applies.Thanks Rod and (forgot) I ran the cutter at 240 after the recommendation of 250 as the next speed up is around 500, I think, I am not at the shed, but I will look at the speed aspect next time.

I did use a piece of timber that was cut to an almost perfect rosette, that is why I was thinking about timber types. I am not sure what typle of timber it is, I know it is not pine. It is a soft wood.

I used an engineers vice with a clamp that I constructed to hold the work and I did try different feeds.

I'll keep at it.

Peter R.

Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Peter R
5th October 2004, 06:03 PM
I have tried several different speeds and I still think it has a lot to do with the timber, and, probably, the quality of the tool.
The drill press is only a couple of weeks old so there is no problems there and I did clamp the work securely. I managed 800rmp with no problems.
I may have been looking for perfection, which happened with one type of timber which I can not identify - I do have a bit of an idea of timbers but not this one yet. When they come from a scrap bin or from packing materiial it is not always easy to identify.
If anyone has used a rosette cutter and could suggest different timbers that would not feather I would appreciate it muchly.

Peter R.

If at first you don't succeed try, try and try again. Then quit. No sense in being a damn fool about it.