PDA

View Full Version : Crossbows

Dr. Waffles
18th October 2009, 06:27 PM
Hey, just had an idea to make a medium sized crossbow. What wood should i use for the limbs? Cheep and easily accessible would be nice. Any ideas on a trigger mechanism? I tried a few on a test piece but they didn't turn out very well.

Anyway, could you suggest a particular wood, or plastic. A suitable design and a trigger mechanism. I have time to waste. Oh and if it helps, i might just be shooting pens but i might fire ball bearings. :U

BobL
18th October 2009, 06:56 PM
Before you get too excited do you know about legality of owning a crossbows?

China
18th October 2009, 09:36 PM
If you do some Googling you will find all you need, legaly you shoild not have any problem, only a couple of states have draconian laws that apply to crossbow's.

Old-Biker-UK
18th October 2009, 09:42 PM
I could do you scans of the trigger mechanism from an article on medieval crossbows if that's any use.
email if you are interested.
Mark

China
18th October 2009, 09:48 PM
Dr Waffles, have a look here I have no idea if this sit is still active IntegerSpin.com (http://www.integerspin.co.uk/crossbow.htm)

munruben
18th October 2009, 11:01 PM
I thought they were classified as a weapon in Australia. Worth checking out.

BobL
18th October 2009, 11:07 PM
You need paperwork and a lawful purpose in most states - Hunting is not a lawful purpose in all states.

Here is an extract from ausbow.com.au

IMPORTANT CROSSBOW INFORMATION FOR AUSTRALIANS
Legislation concerning crossbows is being proposed and introduced in most Australian States. In most eastern Australian states, crossbows have been moved from being CONTROLLED WEAPONS to now being PROHIBITED WEAPONS. THIS DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY HAVE BEEN BANNED! This means that you now need a permit or a licence.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA
From 1 June 2006 crossbows are classified as "dangerous articles". While there is no requirement for a licence, the manufacture, sale, distribution, supply or possession of crossbows requires "lawful purpose". Dealers are now required to determine whether a prospective customer has lawful excuse. The regulations do not define what constitutes lawful excuse, however membership of an archery or shooting organisation is acceptable as is legitimate hunting. Ausbow Industries will maintain a voluntary sales register and will include the stated purpose as indicated by customers.

QUEENSLAND
Legislation was introduced in QUEENSLAND on 1 November 2004. Please note that Ausbow Industries can no longer supply crossbows to Queensland customers directly, except via a licenced Queensland-based firearms dealer. However we can still help you with the selection of our equipment, assistance with arranging your purchase and other important advice.

TASMANIA
Crossbows are now prohited in TASMANIA. You need to apply to the Police Commissioner for permission to own and use a crossbow.

VICTORIA
The new VICTORIAN Legislation regarding crossbows came into effect on 1 July 2004. This requires all crossbow owners/shooters to apply for permission and pay a fee. MEMBERS OF APPROVED SPORTING BODIES WILL BE EXEMPT FROM FEES BUT YOU MUST APPLY FOR EXEMPTION.

NEW SOUTH WALES and ACT
NSW and ACT customers are advised that crossbows are prohibited in both jurisdictions, except that it is possible to obtain a permit for bona fide target shooting at recognised archery clubs. Please consult respective authorities.

CHECK OUT THE ARCHERY NSW WEBSITE FOR UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION - Archery NSW - Home (http://www.archerynsw.com/)

WESTERN AUSTRALIA
Currently, crossbows are a controlled weapon in WA. No licence or permit is required, however, lawful excuse is necessary. Both the Firearms and Weapons acts are under review.

Sebastiaan56
19th October 2009, 06:36 AM
Laminated bone and bamboo would make great arms and probably duplicate the 150+ lbs of pull that historic cross bows had. I know steel was also extensively used. Check out medieval societies pages, there are plenty of people experimenting with them. eg [gurps] Question about crossbows & longbows (http://mail.sjgames.com/pipermail/gurpsnet-l/2003-November/004522.html)

GraemeCook
19th October 2009, 01:49 PM
Hey, just had an idea to make a medium sized crossbow. :U

Hi

I note that you are in Tassie and unfortunately crossbows are basically banned here. Permits are only reluctantly issued, quite rare and mainly to bona fides museums.

Have a look at:

http://www.police.tas.gov.au/matrix310/permits/?a=30382 Crossbows

A person must not use, carry or have possession of a crossbow unless he or she is authorised in writing by the Commissioner to do so.
The application form for an Authority to Possess a Crossbow is available below:
Authority to Possess a Crossbow (pdf Format, 32 KB) (http://www.police.tas.gov.au/matrix310/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/27858/Authority_to_Possess_A_Crossbow.pdf)
For further information, please contact:
Firearms Services
Phone (03) 6230 2720
GPO Box 1264
Hobart
TAS 7001.

Good luck

Graeme

orraloon
19th October 2009, 02:19 PM
As has been pointed out you need to clear the legal angle first. If you join an archery club then you should get permission.
The easiest trigger for a home made job will be the notch and peg as in medieval crossbows. In fact a medieval designed bow is the way to go for ease of construction. Google will be your guide as there is lots of info out there. As for the prod (bow) laminate strips of wood and fiberglass. Check out the Ausbow site for glass and wood lams. To build a solid wood prod will take a fair degree of knowhow and skill. You then have to make a string so check out some of the archery sites for bow building info. As the song says ''I tell you folks it's harder than it looks". I am not trying to put you off but you have a fair learning curve to climb first. If you are intent on it then it can be done and there is the info on the net to do it.
Regards
John

Dr. Waffles
22nd October 2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the help. I am just thinking of a design for a home made type one. Not anything powerful, just something to have fun with. I found a video for a folding crossbow made out of house hold items. Any design like that would be fine.

I recently came up with the idea of getting the bow parts of the crossbow from a small child's recurve bow. Would that work? but i still have no idea on how to make a trigger, even after google-ing.

Chris Parks
22nd October 2009, 10:15 AM
A crossbow story, a bit off topic but shows what can happen. When I was a teenager a few of us found an old car spring so we made a crossbow using one leaf and proceeded to test shoot it. We aimed it at the nearest paling fence and the bolt went through that across the next yard and through that fence as well. We all thought that this thing had potential, for what I had no idea but anything this good was definitely a goer, that is until the parents found out. The crossbow got confiscated and we never made another. We made a rocket as well but that is another story, frightened buggery out of all the fisho's on Botany Bay though.

Dr. Waffles
22nd October 2009, 11:59 AM
Oh. Well i am in an archery club. I might test it there. But i get your point. I just want to try something like this.

orraloon
23rd October 2009, 04:32 PM
Might not be quite what you are looking for but would be an intresting project. The other bits on general bow construction will give you some idea of the basic bow building methods.
Regards
John

orraloon
24th October 2009, 07:05 PM
Sorry the link did not attach when I sent it yesterday from work. I am probably in the sights of the IT department too.Build Your Own Bow Plans For Archers (http://www.vintageprojects.com/archery-plans.html)

Regards
John

NCArcher
6th November 2009, 11:44 AM
I am just thinking of a design for a home made type one. Not anything powerful, just something to have fun with.

Oh. Well i am in an archery club. I might test it there. But i get your point. I just want to try something like this.

Whether it is a home made thing just for fun or a commercially made item it is a prohibited weapon and is illegal.
You need to check with your archery club because most will not allow you to shoot a crossbow on the grounds, unless it is a purpose built, registered, target crossbow. Legal and insurance reasons. :no:
Don't want to spoil your fun but you could be charged and prosecuted. It only takes a phone call from a nosy neighbour.

BobL
6th November 2009, 11:56 AM
Whether it is a home made thing just for fun or a commercially made item it is a prohibited weapon and is illegal.
You need to check with your archery club because most will not allow you to shoot a crossbow on the grounds, unless it is a purpose built, registered, target crossbow. Legal and insurance reasons. :no:
Don't want to spoil your fun but you could be charged and prosecuted. It only takes a phone call from a nosy neighbour.

Hang on - you're in NSW and he's in Tassie. Different states, different rules. Although crossbows are "prohibited in Tassie" it doesn't mean he cannot own one, he just needs a permit, which requires a lawful purpose.

It would be helpful if responders checked locations and the relevant laws to that location before telling people what they should and shouldn't do.

Sebastiaan56
6th November 2009, 12:43 PM
Great link John!

NCArcher
13th November 2009, 11:01 AM
Hang on - you're in NSW and he's in Tassie. Different states, different rules. Although crossbows are "prohibited in Tassie" it doesn't mean he cannot own one, he just needs a permit, which requires a lawful purpose.

It would be helpful if responders checked locations and the relevant laws to that location before telling people what they should and shouldn't do.

Sorry Bob but what does me being in NSW have to do with anything. I am aware he is in Tasmania. Crossbows are a Prohibited Weapon in Tasmania and he cannot have one in his possesion, whether it is home made or purchased unless he has the appropriate licences and permits.
The reference to legal and insurance reasons was to the archery club allowing him to shoot on their grounds (with or without a permit) . The target crossbow shooters I know, from many different states, have to jump through hoops just to own and shoot a crossbow in Archery Australia sanctioned tournaments. They are not allowed to leave it unattended and must secure it to a fixed object if leaving it for any length of time. So turning up at your archery club with a home made crossbow is not a good idea.

BobL
13th November 2009, 06:03 PM
Sorry Bob but what does me being in NSW have to do with anything. I am aware he is in Tasmania. Crossbows are a Prohibited Weapon in Tasmania and he cannot have one in his possesion, whether it is home made or purchased unless he has the appropriate licences and permits.

At no stage did I say he should not get a permit. If you read my first response about this it was to encourage the initiator of this thread to make sure they knew the legal implications.

Even so, the legislation as I understand it is slightly different between NSW and Tassie.

In NSW a crossbow owner must belong to a archery club to get a permit.

In Tasmania there are no "licences" but the owner does requires a "permit" signed by the Tasmanian Commissioner of Police. The owner has to show lawful purpose, and they are required to carry the permit while transporting or using the crossbow, but they do not need to belong to to a club.
See: POLICE OFFENCES ACT 1935 - SECT 15D 15D.#Use, carriage and possession of crossbows (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/tas/consol_act/poa1935140/s15d.html)

Lawful purpose includes, " for the purpose of conducting research, hunting vermin or another purpose the Commissioner considers appropriate."

I never said it was easy and neither do I condone not getting a permit, or firing it in a back yard.

Maybe this legislation has been recently been updated - if so it would be worth knowing.