PDA

View Full Version : how about these prices..

hughie
18th October 2009, 11:05 PM
If you think that your paying too much for your blanks, spare a thought for the guys who pay these prices. :o

AustralianBurls.com of Chesapeake, VA (http://www.australianburls.com/index.html)

Broda
20th October 2009, 09:43 PM
hahaha, yep

I have paid 3 bucks for stuff thier paying 80 for

wheelinround
21st October 2009, 06:14 AM
Yes and some us get them for FREE

Not to worry the Yanks have heaps of $$$$$

keithkarl2007
21st October 2009, 07:29 AM
Are you serious??? I don't know the value of Australian Burls and i'd love to try some of them. Looking through the gallery in the site I'm envious of the beautiful wood you guys can get. My particular favourite is Horistes Mallee, at least thats what i think its called. I know there are a few different species

keithkarl2007
21st October 2009, 09:28 AM
Should've asked before, where or who could i get burls from on the forum? Even small offcuts, about 10mm thick and at least 60mm x 60mm. I'd like to get some larger pieces for winged bowls also. I had visited the above site many times and drooled all over my laptop. I didn't realise that the prices he was quoting are very expensive as i haven't purchased australian burls before

Ed Reiss
21st October 2009, 12:21 PM
Yes and some us get them for FREE

Not to worry the Yanks have heaps of $$$$$

...and here I thought it was you guys with all the moola...Stubby's, Vicmarks, VB36's, every gouge ever made, Ci Roughers, etc, etc :o:roll::D:D

hughie
21st October 2009, 12:39 PM
Should've asked before, where or who could i get burls from on the forum? Even small offcuts, about 10mm thick and at least 60mm x 60mm. I'd like to get some larger pieces for winged bowls also. I had visited the above site many times and drooled all over my laptop. I didn't realise that the prices he was quoting are very expensive as i haven't purchased australian burls before
[/QUOTE]

Hi Keith,

The best way is to do a trade or swap. Hunt around for some timber thats unique to Ireland etc and post it up with a pic or two and see how you go. :2tsup:

keithkarl2007
22nd October 2009, 03:44 AM
the only wood really unique to Ireland is Bog Oak. I have come across bog yew also and have 2 logs of it. Both woods would have been buried in the bog from 6000-7000 years. The oak has gone completely black from the acid and tannin in the peat while the once orange yew is now a browner colour with streaks of purple and some of the orange also showing through

Paul39
22nd October 2009, 05:09 AM
I saw a nice reddish bowl blank in a woodworking store a year ago, about 100mm X 300mm, all sealed in wax, only $299. Did not bother to investigate further.

munruben
22nd October 2009, 07:39 AM
If you think that your paying too much for your blanks, spare a thought for the guys who pay these prices. :o

AustralianBurls.com of Chesapeake, VA (http://www.australianburls.com/index.html)There's gold in them there hills. :)