PDA

View Full Version : Another Stubby for Ballarat

govarney
20th October 2009, 12:25 AM
Had fun at the wood show in Melbourne and finally decided to "trade in" my chinese MC-1100 for an Australian Stubby S1000. :2tsup:

I now have 4 to 6 weeks to get the shed decked out so that it can welcome it's newest and most regal member. :D

Calm
20th October 2009, 07:17 AM
WELCOME to the club. This is one purchase you will never regret.

I knew Ballarat was a city with vvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeerrrrrrry intelligent people.

Cheers

artme
20th October 2009, 07:58 AM
Had fun at the wood show in Melbourne and finally decided to "trade in" my chinese MC-1100 for an Australian Stubby S1000. :2tsup:

I now have 4 to 6 weeks to get the shed decked out so that it can welcome it's newest and most regal member. :D

Now were you a naughty boy or is your wife very understanding and supportive?

munruben
20th October 2009, 08:07 AM
Well done, nice to have a splurge eh? :)

TTIT
20th October 2009, 09:21 AM

I now have 4 to 6 weeks to get the shed decked out so that it can welcome it's newest and most regal member. :DGood choice G.O.:2tsup: A lathe for life - a bit like marriage except you'll never get sick of this one :;:U

Thornburn
20th October 2009, 09:35 AM
Aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sorry that was my jealousy showing through !!

Congrats to you . One day........ one day........ I'm gunna get me one of those !!

Post some pics when you can!

Thornburn

Ozkaban
20th October 2009, 09:36 AM
Nice one!

So how much does your wife think it cost :U

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
20th October 2009, 11:46 AM
Now were you a naughty boy or is your wife very understanding and supportive?

If we see Govarney walkin' the streets you'll know the answer:o

Sawdust Maker
20th October 2009, 12:10 PM
I'm GREEN with envy

you lucky boy you :2tsup:

RETIRED
20th October 2009, 03:14 PM
Nice one!

So how much does your wife think it cost :U

Cheers,
DaveSHE BOUGHT IT FOR HIM and a heap of other good gear.

Ozkaban
20th October 2009, 03:21 PM
SHE BOUGHT IT FOR HIM and a heap of other good gear.

Wow! I might have to get her to have a chat to my wife!

Cheers,
Dave

Allan at Wallan
20th October 2009, 05:09 PM
Two people in Ballarat with a stubby.:doh:

Next thing you will be starting a stubby club and
people like us will not be able to even visit the area
without a permit.:D

Allan

DJ’s Timber
20th October 2009, 05:12 PM
Crap, there goes the neighbourhood :doh:

Grumpy John
20th October 2009, 06:39 PM
SHE BOUGHT IT FOR HIM and a heap of other good gear.

Has she got a sister :D. At least he doesn't have to sell the boat :U.

govarney
21st October 2009, 11:01 PM
I'm very happy. Although would you believe I spent most of the weekend saying "No we can't afford" and the wife saying "Just do it". And she won. :wink:

She is one in a million. :inlove:

Jim Carroll
22nd October 2009, 09:14 AM
What do you mean the weekend.

She has been at you for months to get the stubby, gees your a hard man to convince.

jefferson
22nd October 2009, 10:41 AM
A nice treat for Xmas! :2tsup:

I've turned on David's 750 and on one of Ken W's 1000s. I prefer the 750, mostly because of its "footprint". I also like the leg set-up on the 750 - much easier to get the height adjustment right if needed.

Or does the Stubby guy make the 1000 to suit?

So why one and not the other for the Ballarat "twins"?

Calm
22nd October 2009, 10:59 AM
A nice treat for Xmas! :2tsup:

I've turned on David's 750 and on one of Ken W's 1000s. I prefer the 750, mostly because of its "footprint". I also like the leg set-up on the 750 - much easier to get the height adjustment right if needed.

Or does the Stubby guy make the 1000 to suit?

So why one and not the other for the Ballarat "twins"?

Jeff you need to introduce Ann to Gary's wife - or move to Ballarat, it might be the atmosphere here that attracts Stubby lathes.:2tsup::D:D:D

Cheers

jefferson
22nd October 2009, 11:35 AM
David, if I can keep off the smokes for 12 months, I should be able to convince the wife into letting me get another lathe. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: House renos in the way at the moment.

But you Stubby guys have got to talk me out of a Vicmarc first.

Pros and cons please???

Calm
22nd October 2009, 11:45 AM
David, if I can keep off the smokes for 12 months, I should be able to convince the wife into letting me get another lathe. House renos in the way at the moment.

Pros STUBBY :hpydans2::brava: :wave: :hpydans::yippee::hooray: :way2go: :wtg: :tongueroll::fireworks:
and cons VICMARK :hapy:

Why settle for second best:p Do i need to mention the tool rest or the bed (in the way) when doing small boxes

TTIT
22nd October 2009, 03:03 PM
Why settle for second best:p Do i need to mention the tool rest or the bed (in the way) when doing small boxesDon't worry about it David - I'll convert him at Prossy :;:U

jefferson
22nd October 2009, 03:24 PM
Vern, make sure you talk to the wife too!!! (Pretty please. :D:D)

I just had a look at a VB 36 (google it, it's a monster). Ideal for BIG bowls and platters.

What I'd probably like to do is do a try-before-you-buy with the 2 lathes, side by side.

I should have gone to the Melb. show I know but I couldn't make it.

Farnk
24th October 2009, 12:03 PM
I'm very happy. Although would you believe I spent most of the weekend saying "No we can't afford" and the wife saying "Just do it". And she won. :wink:

She is one in a million. :inlove:

Obviously an ideal subject for human cloning trials!
Congratulations!

I also (and somehow think that I'm not robinson crusoe here) spent sometime drooling over these items at the TWWS. SHMBO remarked that they were indeed a wonderful thing, but I would have to choose between a new lathe or Rain water tanks this year.

As we are just establishing a garden, ..... Oh well.....

F

Calm
24th October 2009, 12:57 PM
Obviously an ideal subject for human cloning trials!
Congratulations!

I also (and somehow think that I'm not robinson crusoe here) spent sometime drooling over these items at the TWWS. SHMBO remarked that they were indeed a wonderful thing, but I would have to choose between a new lathe or Rain water tanks this year.

As we are just establishing a garden, ..... Oh well.....

F

PRAY LIKE HELL FOR RAIN:D:D:2tsup::2tsup:

Ozkaban
24th October 2009, 05:29 PM
PRAY LIKE HELL FOR RAIN:D:D:2tsup::2tsup:

:whs:

rsser
24th October 2009, 06:00 PM
The S1000 base could double as a water tank.

Manuka Jock
24th October 2009, 06:49 PM
The S1000 base could double as a water tank.

True .
Could hook a pump up to the chuck eh
Variable speed garden watering :U

govarney
21st December 2009, 11:54 PM
Finally it arrived. Just in time for chistmas. :D

Almost 2 months after placing the order. Its on the floor and making wood chips.

The aim now is for me to get better at turning, I can no longer blame my equipment.:B

For whats its worth I've started keeping a blog of the work I do. Hopefully it will stand as a record of the work I'm doing and I'll be able to look back and see an improvement.

If you are interested in following my progress and offer a word or two, good or bad, this is the blog address Woodwork Forums - govarney (http://www.woodworkforums.com/blogs/govarney/)

Any one want to guess what I'll be doing Christmas day. :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
22nd December 2009, 01:20 AM
Good deal GO ...but one thing puzzles me, how come your not gloating like Calm has about the Stubby :?:?:?

Calm
22nd December 2009, 08:32 AM
Good deal GO ...but one thing puzzles me, how come your not gloating like Calm has about the Stubby :?:?:?

Ed i better go round and wind him up a bit hey:2tsup::D:D:D:2tsup:

Cheers

KenW
22nd December 2009, 10:53 AM
Two people in Ballarat with a stubby.:doh:

Next thing you will be starting a stubby club and
people like us will not be able to even visit the area
without a permit.:D

Allan
Allan, they only have one Stubby each.
You have to own several before you can become a member of the Stubby Club.

KenW
22nd December 2009, 11:04 AM
David, if I can keep off the smokes for 12 months, I should be able to convince the wife into letting me get another lathe. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: House renos in the way at the moment.

Pros and cons please???
Tool rest wrong shape.
On/Off bar in the wrong place.
Can only turn small diameter work.
Can't swivel bed.
Only one banjo.
Only one tool rest.
No second bed extension.

Sorry, can't think of any Pros for the Vicmarc.

rsser
22nd December 2009, 11:56 AM
For me the big plus with any decent swivel head lathe, if you do mainly bowls, is that you can easily and quickly get a flowing outside line doing the 'lathe tango'. Actually, waltz is prob more accurate ;-}

Congrats on your Stubby Govarney. It'll give you a workout and build those pecs nicely.

Edit: Ken, perhaps you were forgetting the VL175. True, you can't swivel the bed but you can swivel the head.

KenW
22nd December 2009, 03:26 PM
Edit: Ken, perhaps you were forgetting the VL175. True, you can't swivel the bed but you can swivel the head.
Ern, I didn't forget the VL175. I'm not a fan of swivel head lathes, even though I own a Woodfast C1000 (old Aussie made one). Turning large pieces of wood is much safer over the bed of the lathe. With the second bed and banjo on the Stubby you can turn both sides of a piece without the need to reverse mount.

rsser
22nd December 2009, 03:44 PM
Yes, I never turned 1m diam lumps on my 175, but smaller blanks swivelled out, with a solid stand for the lathe, caused no problems.

With the Stubby, you could use the aux bed on the headstock to first form the outside doing your best 'lathe tango', but at the bottom you'd be constrained by the method of mounting wouldn't you? ie. the diam of the faceplate or chuck.

RETIRED
22nd December 2009, 03:46 PM
Forget the rest,
Get a VB thirty sex.:wink::D

rsser
22nd December 2009, 04:51 PM
Don't they make a 69? ;-}

Good lathe, but the pec development in using the bed would exceed that of an S1000.

brendan stemp
22nd December 2009, 05:28 PM
Keep it on the pallet til next May so you can bring it to You Turn. Shane Wolf can do it so I'm sure you can too!

And now the problem for you is to justify the expense.... so lots of turning needs to be done. And big stuff too. Hope your house is big enough for all those 1 metre diameter bowls you will be doing.

KenW
22nd December 2009, 06:21 PM
Yes, I never turned 1m diam lumps on my 175, but smaller blanks swivelled out, with a solid stand for the lathe, caused no problems.

With the Stubby, you could use the aux bed on the headstock to first form the outside doing your best 'lathe tango', but at the bottom you'd be constrained by the method of mounting wouldn't you? ie. the diam of the faceplate or chuck.
I always use a small faceplate with a piece of scrap wood glued to the main block. It is easy to turn off scrap block and put feet or base on bowl. The bowl only needs to be turned once to do this.

jefferson
22nd December 2009, 08:43 PM
Tool rest wrong shape.
On/Off bar in the wrong place.
Can only turn small diameter work.
Can't swivel bed.
Only one banjo.
Only one tool rest.
No second bed extension.

Sorry, can't think of any Pros for the Vicmarc.

1st point, tool rest is the wrong shape. Agreed. But not by all.

On/ off bar is great, unless you are a short (old) bugger. A great safety / convenience feature. We will debate the point no doubt over Xmas.

Small diameter work limited on the Vicmarc? You can turn outboard, both directions on my VL 300. Only those that want to turn the impossible need more capacity. (Is this conversation a dick thing? Can I say that, Moderators?)

And coming from you, Ken, the comment about small diameter work is surprising. We all know you can turn a 100% flat platter that is large, but that's not what you do (best).

Question: did your Stubby align head and tail stock direct from factory? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My new VL 175 (almost) did.

And you are wrong about the banjos. I can stick my VL 300 (deep) banjo on the new VL 175 and almost do both sides of a bowl / platter. (I accept the Stubby system is better. That's why I may buy one, one day. )

You Stubby blokes are almost verging on Snobs. Just listen to Calm for a moment.... :D:D

Order a Stubby..... delivery in 2-3 months.....

And before you all pass judgment on Vicmarc v. Stubbies, come up and play on a VB 36.

A wise forumite has played on my VL300 and a Stubby 750 and he turns quite a lot better than I do. (That's you, Skew). Equipment helps, but chisel control is much more important. As my Masters know..... :D:D:D

rsser
22nd December 2009, 08:53 PM
Ah well, I downsized my tool and find it suits me best ;-}

RETIRED
22nd December 2009, 09:10 PM
1st point, tool rest is the wrong shape. Agreed. But not by all.

On/ off bar is great, unless you are a short (old) bugger. A great safety / convenience feature. We will debate the point no doubt over Xmas.

Small diameter work limited on the Vicmarc? You can turn outboard, both directions on my VL 300. Only those that want to turn the impossible need more capacity. (Is this conversation a dick thing? Can I say that, Moderators?)

And coming from you, Ken, the comment about small diameter work is surprising. We all know you can turn a 100% flat platter that is large, but that's not what you do (best).

Question: did your Stubby align head and tail stock direct from factory? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

My new VL 175 (almost) did.

And you are wrong about the banjos. I can stick my VL 300 (deep) banjo on the new VL 175 and almost do both sides of a bowl / platter. (I accept the Stubby system is better. That's why I may buy one, one day. )

You Stubby blokes are almost verging on Snobs. Just listen to Calm for a moment.... :D:D

Order a Stubby..... delivery in 2-3 months.....

And before you all pass judgment on Vicmarc v. Stubbies, come up and play on a <acronym title="vBulletin">VB</acronym> 36.

A wise forumite has played on my VL300 and a Stubby 750 and he turns quite a lot better than I do. (That's you, Skew). Equipment helps, but chisel control is much more important. As my Masters know..... :D:D:D

:gotcha:

KenW
23rd December 2009, 09:10 AM
:gotcha:
The fishing is good, grasshoppers make great bait.

brendan stemp
23rd December 2009, 09:25 AM
Its not about what you have got but what you do with it. I am more interested in what you produce than what you produce it on. Ford v Holden, Stubby v Vicmarc,... their both good, let's move on!

RETIRED
23rd December 2009, 10:38 AM
Its not about what you have got but what you do with it. I am more interested in what you produce than what you produce it on. Ford v Holden, Stubby v Vicmarc,... their both good, let's move on!Glad to see you didn't include the VB36. :whistling2:

Ozkaban
23rd December 2009, 10:42 AM
Glad to see you didn't include the VB36. :whistling2:

Soooo, the VB36 isn't about what you produce?!?!? :q

RETIRED
23rd December 2009, 11:43 AM
Soooo, the VB36 isn't about what you produce?!?!? :qOh noooooooooooooo. 'Tis a thing of beauty and any woodturner would be proud to worship at the altar.:D

rsser
23rd December 2009, 11:54 AM
He'd certainly be on his knees doing a pad to bolt the thing to ;-}

Ed Reiss
23rd December 2009, 12:39 PM
:lb:

RETIRED
23rd December 2009, 01:39 PM
:rofl:

jefferson
23rd December 2009, 08:31 PM
The fishing is good, grasshoppers make great bait.

You are a cheeky bugger, WWW. :):):)

There are a few/ couple of things that I do better than you. One is fishing (inside). And I don't get on rooves......

Another, well, bring your Stubbies up and we'll drink till we are finished. :D And you will be...... :D:D

More turning lessons needed here. Hopefully there will be a decent wood turner coming up over the Xmas / New Year break. :wink:

is coming I know. Spindle/ production turner (but not lately) that he is. But I sure hope there will be one other woodturner that can turn (a little). Jim C. is an unknown quantity, but he sure sells well!

Calm
23rd December 2009, 10:12 PM
You are a cheeky bugger, WWW. :):):)

There are a few/ couple of things that I do better than you. One is fishing (inside). And I don't get on rooves......

Another, well, bring your Stubbies up and we'll drink till we are finished. :D And you will be...... :D:D

More turning lessons needed here. Hopefully there will be a decent wood turner coming up over the Xmas / New Year break. :wink:

is coming I know. Spindle/ production turner (but not lately) that he is. But I sure hope there will be one other woodturner that can turn (a little). Jim C. is an unknown quantity, but he sure sells well!

Keep your pants on i said I'm comin :D:D:D:D:2tsup:

Geeees your an impatient bugger Jeff.

Ed Reiss
24th December 2009, 01:27 AM
More turning lessons needed here. Hopefully there will be a decent wood turner coming up over the Xmas / New Year break. http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/standard/wink.gif

...sorry Jeff, SWMBO says I can't go:no::C

jefferson
24th December 2009, 08:45 AM
Sorry you can't make it, Ed. (This thread got hijacked some time ago.... :rolleyes:)

There are some good turners other than coming, DJ, Ern and plus the locals. Two beginners (me and Evonne).

Ed Reiss
24th December 2009, 12:54 PM
Sorry you can't make it, Ed. (This thread got hijacked some time ago.... :rolleyes:)

ain't that the truth!!!

There are some good turners other than coming, DJ, Ern and plus the locals. Two beginners (me and Evonne).

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Tim the Timber Turner
24th December 2009, 10:05 PM
Glad to see you didn't include the VB36. :whistling2:

Had a little play with the new VL600 a couple of weeks ago.:cool:

It may not settle the argument but it will add a new contender.

Sorry guys I'm sworn to total secrecy.:;

I must ask Santa if he has room for one on the sleigh next year.

Merry Christmas to all

Cheers

Tim

Calm
25th December 2009, 06:48 AM
Had a little play with the new VL600 a couple of weeks ago.:cool:

It may not settle the argument but it will add a new contender.

Sorry guys I'm sworn to total secrecy.:;

I must ask Santa if he has room for one on the sleigh next year.

Merry Christmas to all

Cheers

Tim

Tim that's like a stripper taking her bra off then not turning around :?:?:(:(- it's just not cricket you know.:D:D

Merry Christmas

Cheers

Ozkaban
25th December 2009, 08:59 AM
Tim that's like a stripper taking her bra off then not turning around :?:?:(:(- it's just not cricket you know.:D:D

Merry Christmas

Cheers

What's this? A stubby owner feeling insecure about a new Vicmarc?!?!?!

:D:D:D

Cheers,
Dave

rsser
25th December 2009, 09:12 AM
Nah, he just wants to check the measurements ;-}