PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes in setting up the shed.

bellyup
20th October 2009, 05:28 PM
G'day,
I'm sure that everyone who has set up the shed has made basic mistakes in the layout the first time - what were they or what would you do differently next time?

My grumble is that my built-in work bench is 1 metre from the tailstock end of the lathe ( but the lathe is situated under the only window, for good light) and gets covered in shaving all the time along with the grinder and misc. tools.
I'm thinking of hanging a shower curtain that I can open and close to stop the mess as I can't rotate the lathe :~
I really wish my dust extractor could go outside.
Bruce.

thefixer
20th October 2009, 06:36 PM
G'day Bellyup

I guess it depends a lot on the tools you have and the size of the shed. Each time I get a new toy I have to rearrange the shed. My problem is the shed is narrow, about 11 feet wide and 27 feet long. I've moved things so many times that the floor now has more holes in it than a crumpet coz most of the machines are dynabolted. There are only two certainties in life. 1. You can never have too many tools and 2. You can never have too big a shed. I reckon I'll never stop changing things around.

Cheers
Shorty

TTIT
20th October 2009, 11:38 PM
......... Each time I get a new toy I have to rearrange the shed. ...................... I reckon I'll never stop changing things around.
Cheers
ShortyMine hasn't stopped 'evolving' in the 7 years since I moved in - and probably never will. I don't reckon there's a right or wrong way, just the next way :;:U

artme
20th October 2009, 11:57 PM
I originally set my lathe up under the window of the shed but for several reasons that proved to be a very inefficient use of space.

My main bench and tools are on the opposite side of the shed, as is the circuit board, so I took the lathe off its stand and moved it over there. Luckily I had a good lighting set-up over there, so its not too bad.

I might have another think when I get back home. Got to keep myself busy.:roll::roll:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st October 2009, 01:24 AM
Personally, I think that under a window's a bad choice for a lathe, for a variety of reasons. Not least:

It lights the back of the piece, not the front where you really need light. It can be expensive in case of UFOs. A workbench is better placed under a window, as it can use the light.

There are more, but the above are enough. :;

Grumpy John
21st October 2009, 01:40 AM
Wot he said :aro-u:.
I've got my lathe under a skylight in my new shed (gloat :) ), I'll see how that goes during the Melbourne summer.

RETIRED
21st October 2009, 07:52 AM
Mine hasn't stopped 'evolving' in the 7 years since I moved in - and probably never will. I don't reckon there's a right or wrong way, just the next way :;:UOnly 7? In 17 years I have probably moved every machine at least 50 times. The only thing that hasn't moved is the big lathe and that is because it won't fit any where else.:rolleyes:

Rum Pig
21st October 2009, 08:39 AM
The worst mistake I made was let SWMBO in because she thinks it is her storage shed:no::doh:

I have only rearranged my shed twice:2tsup:
I bet you can't guess how many time I have cleaned my shed:rolleyes:

Yep only twice:U:q

Grumpy John
21st October 2009, 08:53 AM
Only 7? In 17 years I have probably moved every machine at least 50 times. The only thing that hasn't moved is the big lathe and that is because it won't fit any where else.:rolleyes:

I notice you're not metioning that most of your machines are on wheels AND that you have a forklift :D. I know, I know, doesn't everyone have a forklift in their shed :rolleyes:.

TTIT
21st October 2009, 09:20 AM
Wot he said :aro-u:.
I've got my lathe under a skylight in my new shed (gloat :) ), I'll see how that goes during the Melbourne summer.Tried that once - ended up putting the sheet of iron back in - it was cooler :B

BobL
21st October 2009, 10:59 AM
Tried that once - ended up putting the sheet of iron back in - it was cooler :B

I have full length of clear on my shed that I cover with HD shade cloth during summer. Seems to work OK.

bellyup
21st October 2009, 01:02 PM
Bob,
That's a great idea - we have a shade sail we use over the BBQ area and it works a treat for radiant heat, I reckon I might do that to my shed and that will allow me to put in some clear roof sheets and not do a slow roast :2tsup:.
How far off the roof sheets have you placed the shade cloth?
Bruce

brendan stemp
21st October 2009, 01:27 PM
I started with my lathe against a wall but not now. I have it running almost perpendicular to the wall, next to a window which allows me to get around the back of the lathe to clean up the shavings. I reckon the shower curtain idea would work well but also have thought the strip covers put at doorways to keep insects out of shops could also work.

Waldo
21st October 2009, 02:35 PM
Never glue up the lines in the PVC of the plumbing for your Dusty. As often as you will move machinery, you will also undoubtably rejink the plumbing, so use good old duct tape instead. :2tsup:

jefferson
21st October 2009, 03:07 PM
Only 7? In 17 years I have probably moved every machine at least 50 times. The only thing that hasn't moved is the big lathe and that is because it won't fit any where else.:rolleyes:

Yes, but , you have a damn forklift to help you! :D

Calm
21st October 2009, 05:00 PM
Setting up the shed

- the bags for the dusty are heavy & awkward,
- the lathe makes a lot of mess so both need access to clean up. Light for the lathe is better artificial as it can be placed where required and
- definitely the window is for the workbench.
- The thicknesser & planer need clearance/access each end but not sideways
- drill press, grinders etc. can be fitted as room allows - The grinder near the lathe is handy but a small walk to sharpen doesn't do any harm either:2tsup::2tsup:

My other lathe is against the wall but the STUBBY is now in the middle of the shed - pride of place - and i am not sure which is better, for turnfest's/BBQ viewing from both sides is handy but not a requirement.

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers

RETIRED
21st October 2009, 05:25 PM
Yes, but , you have a damn forklift to help you! :DHasn't everyone?:whistling2:

BobL
21st October 2009, 06:12 PM
Bob,
That's a great idea - we have a shade sail we use over the BBQ area and it works a treat for radiant heat, I reckon I might do that to my shed and that will allow me to put in some clear roof sheets and not do a slow roast :2tsup:.
How far off the roof sheets have you placed the shade cloth?
Bruce

Mine sits direct on top of the metal roofing.

I used the most dense stuff I could get (90%?) and folded it in half so it is effectively 99% blocking. I then nailed a strip of 50 x 50 hardwood battens across each end and lay the folded cloth along the full length of the clear sheet with 500 mm or so hanging off each end - the wooden battens help weigh it down and stop it blowing around. In mid-autumn I roll it up completely and leave it sitting on the shed roof as a roll. Mid spring (ie Last week) it went back down. Not absolutely ideal but it still nice to be able to remove it in the middle of winter when it can get so gloomy in the shed, even at midday.

jefferson
21st October 2009, 08:28 PM
Setting up the shed....

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers

Calm, your advice was worth probably less than the two cents. Last time I was up at your place, we turned in the dark, with blunt tools, no dust extraction etc etc. Ballarat rain and cold..... (Did it get over 10 degrees C.?)

And the end product from half a week on a very nice Stubby was ONE pen. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

That said, we did over a 1000kms travelling, didn't we?

Now, serious business. Sheds.

As others have said, it doesn't matter how big you go, it will never be big enough.

And you cannot have too much power. My limit is 50 amps / single phase and I do worry about it.

Insulate and line it, that's my advice. No skylights either.

Plenty of tubes for lighting.

Even more powerpoints.

And make sure you get the dust under control. (I haven't..... :rolleyes:)