PDA

View Full Version : turning clubs in sydneys west?

nz_carver
21st October 2009, 11:53 AM
hey all im going to take the jum in to turning:D
and was thinking is there any turning clubs in wes Syd?

just thinking if ther is might be a good thing to try it out 1st b4 i go out and buy all the toys that go with turning:U

Ozkaban
21st October 2009, 01:48 PM
Hornsby Woodturning group is located at Annangrove (near Windsor, I think). I've been tempted, but it's a bit far for me. Don't know what else is out there. Check the Sydney Woodturners Guild (http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/).

Cheers,
Dave

Sebastiaan56
21st October 2009, 03:01 PM
There are the Blue Mountains turners, Untitled Document (http://www.pnc.com.au/~k_j/woodturner/) I took lessons and they were great. They will be able to tell you if there are any other clubs further east.

nz_carver
21st October 2009, 04:03 PM
There are the Blue Mountains turners, Untitled Document (http://www.pnc.com.au/~k_j/woodturner/) I took lessons and they were great. They will be able to tell you if there are any other clubs further east.

hey mate on that note you dont know any thing about a group of carvers hat meet in the lower mountains do you????

wheelinround
21st October 2009, 04:15 PM
Dave Blue Mountains is a woodies all sorts group get in touch with either John Crook or Rhyes

arose62
21st October 2009, 09:09 PM
hey mate on that note you dont know any thing about a group of carvers hat meet in the lower mountains do you????

Not a group as such, but Ibrahim Fouad (spelling may be wrong) is a world-class carver, last I heard he was in Doonside, and ran classes when he wasn't carving coats-of-arms for Parliament and such like.

Cheers,
Andrew

I_wanna_Shed
21st October 2009, 09:46 PM
I've only heard very good things about the Western Sydney branch of the Sydney Woodturners Guild. They meet at Lalor Park during the week and weekends. Google them and their website will have all of the details.

I'd like to join there myself, but alas, its bit far now that I have moved from just 5 minutes where they meet, to over an hour's drive.

Nathan.

wheelinround
22nd October 2009, 08:19 AM
I've only heard very good things about the Western Sydney branch of the Sydney Woodturners Guild. They meet at Lalor Park during the week and weekends. Google them and their website will have all of the details.

I'd like to join there myself, but alas, its bit far now that I have moved from just 5 minutes where they meet, to over an hour's drive.

Nathan.

Southern Highlands would suit you Nathan good bunch so I am told.:2tsup: or Camden

Sebastiaan56
22nd October 2009, 08:22 AM
Dave Blue Mountains is a woodies all sorts group get in touch with either John Crook or Rhyes

Please PM some details, Id like to meet carvers in gods own as well.

wheelinround
22nd October 2009, 08:38 AM
Please PM some details, Id like to meet carvers in gods own as well.

Sab you put the page up which has a link with contact details :?
I know this would put many off I sent an e-mail last year still awaiting a reply.

John Crook is President

Jchappo may help with phone numbers etc

All correspondence should be addressed to:
The Secretary
Blue Mountains Woodturners Inc
P.O. Box 233
Springwood NSW 2777
or by email
email : [email protected]

Sebastiaan56
22nd October 2009, 09:55 AM
oops, I thought you meant carvers...

wheelinround
22nd October 2009, 01:22 PM

Sab they have a group of people up there that carve

jchappo
22nd October 2009, 01:53 PM
Sab you put the page up which has a link with contact details :?
I know this would put many off I sent an e-mail last year still awaiting a reply.

John Crook is President

Jchappo may help with phone numbers etc

All correspondence should be addressed to:
The Secretary
Blue Mountains Woodturners Inc
P.O. Box 233
Springwood NSW 2777
or by email
email : [email protected]

For obvious reasons, I am unable to give phone numbers on an open forum, however, if you visit the web page Blue Mountains Woodturners (http://www.pnc.com.au/%7Ek_j/woodturner/Index.htm) and check out the newsletters link, the October 2009 edition has the latest contact phone numbers.
If you just want to come along, meetings are held on the first Saturday of each month from 10am to about 2.30pm - all welcome!
Currently, meetings are held 19, Calver Avenue, Mount Riverview
BMW are specifically a wood turning group, but they do have affiliations to other woodcraft groups in their area.
Of course, their members also dabble in other woodie related things, and there are some members who are also into carving

turnerted
22nd October 2009, 04:53 PM
G'day
Bankstown branch of the Sydney Woodturners meets at the Girl Guides Hall in Waldron road Chester Hill on the first saturday of the month from about 8am and the second tuesday from about 6pm .
Plenty of help and lathes to try there .

Ted

nz_carver
23rd October 2009, 12:03 PM

hey if u wana meet some carvers pm me I can help you out:2tsup:

Alastair
26th October 2009, 01:50 PM
Hornsby Woodturning group is located at Annangrove (near Windsor, I think). I've been tempted, but it's a bit far for me. Don't know what else is out there. Check the Sydney Woodturners Guild (http://www.sydneywoodturners.com.au/).

Cheers,
Dave

I belong to the Hornsby Group.

Drop me a PM if you want information.

regards