PDA

View Full Version : Is this lathe good for a beginner?

robduca
22nd October 2009, 08:51 PM
Hey,

I went and looked at prices for a lathe today. Probably not gettin one for a couple of months, but thought i better look at them and do the research first.
Just want to know if anyone has had one or has any pro's/con's on this leda lathe?

Leda Machinery Catalogue (http://ledamachinery.com.au/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=67&osCsid=10a7a1fb3fb30c8c50ebd4b4c6e369f6)

Seems to be alright to me and a lot cheaper than i thought. Will probably cost me about $800 for it delivered. It seems like it can turn a large enough bowl for me.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Rob Duca

wheelinround
22nd October 2009, 09:33 PM
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=W384

You decide

artme
22nd October 2009, 09:34 PM
Basically another clone of the proven MC 900.

Lots of members here have that type of machine and are pleased with what they have benn able to do and can still do.

My only concern is the speed range, particularly down low.

MT2 tapers both ends and a!''x10 spindle thread are good features. You can purchase plenty of off the shelf goodies to go with this machine.:):)

orificiam
22nd October 2009, 10:16 PM
Hi RobDuca I've had a Hare&Forbes for 8 years with no problems.Sure the low speed could be a little lower, but you learn to live with it.
Is it good for a beginner? Very good.
Cheers Tony.

issatree
22nd October 2009, 10:26 PM
Hi robduca,
My concern with those Lathes is that Banjo with the silly 2 piece Tool Rest. You will have to either make or buy a proper " T " Tool Rest, as the one you get has next to no length to go into the Banjo on it's own.
As the others have said, look around, as they are all kinds of prices, & more than likely come from the same Factory, with different Paint & Decals. Not my cup of tea, but I'm not using it.
Regards,
issatree.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

robduca
22nd October 2009, 11:18 PM
Wow,
Am i glad i posted here. Basically the same lathe a couple of hundred less. Might be cleanin out the shed a bit earlier. :D
Might be giving hare and forbes a call sooner than planned.
Thanks for all that guys. Greatly appreciate all your help

Rob

Skew ChiDAMN!!
23rd October 2009, 12:20 AM
There will be difference in the quality of the fittings; the castings probably come from the same factory, but the electrics and such are installed by the branded companies. (As a general rule.) Leda is a good brand and with respected brands you get what you pay for.

However (and there's always an however, isn't there? :rolleyes:) it's generally such a small difference that a beginner wouldn't pick it. An experienced turner would, but an experienced turner wouldn't like other things about the lathe, either.

If you persist for long enough, there'll come a time when you outstrip the abilities of these MC-900 type lathes and will start looking at something a bit beefier. But then you'd be looking at a different "range" of lathe altogether... a Vicmarc, perhaps.

In short: for a beginner it's a good lathe. But the H&F version would serve just as well and is significantly cheaper.

bowl-basher
23rd October 2009, 08:28 AM
:iagree:"If you persist for long enough, there'll come a time when you outstrip the abilities of these MC-900 type lathes and will start looking at something a bit beefier. But then you'd be looking at a different "range" of lathe altogether... a Vicmarc, perhaps."

I have just gone through this after having my MC900 clone for 4 years I had reached the point that to keep on learning and expanding what I was attempting I needed to upgrade.....But the MC900 was a fab. tool to learn on and if they wernt around at the price they are a lot of turners would never have started on this magic spiral. I am happy to say mine has gone to a new turner and I am sure she will get as much pleasure and use fom the MC900 as I did All I can say Is ""GO FOR IT":2tsup::2tsup:
Bowl-Basher

Ozkaban
23rd October 2009, 10:22 AM
I agree with what has been said. I've only been turning for less than a year (and not often at that), but I have a second hand MC-1100 that is doing OK (identical the the H&F one, though i think it was an older model Carbatec). There is more vibration and movement that i would like and the centres don't line up perfectly. If often dream about upgrading (would love a VL175, I think!), but at this point I don't feel like I've outgrown the lathe I've got yet.

There will be differences in the quality of the smaller bits between the Leda and H&F, though not having a post long enough on the tool rest on the Leda is not ideal. This can be rectified by talking to Vermec (http://www.vermec.com/). I bought one of their toolrests after I managed to snap my original one in half after a particularly ugly catch :o.

I reckon spend the $500 on the H&F lathe. At this point the rest of your money will be better spent on some quality bits to go on it - like a Vicmarc chuck ~$200-300 (not counting the jaws that you'll want :rolleyes: ), decent chisels ($50-$150 each), a good way to sharpen - an 8" bench grinder with white wheel and a tru grind jig is another several hundred dollars. If you outgrow the lathe these bits can be carried over to the next.

I have almost finished gradually upgrading my set of cheapie chinese HSS chisels with P&N and the difference is chalk and cheese. Turning is much more enjoyable with quality (sharp!) chisels.

Welcome to the world of turning and enjoy.

Hope all this helps.

Cheers,
Dave

bellyup
23rd October 2009, 11:08 AM
:wts:
Ozkaban is talking good sense!!

Bruce.

Ed Reiss
23rd October 2009, 12:12 PM
Hey Robduca...welcome to the turning forum madness :U

awwwwwwww, just go for the Stubby and get it over with :q:D:D:D

brendan stemp
23rd October 2009, 12:43 PM
Is their such a thing as a beginners lathe? Is their such a thing as a 'good' beginners lathe? Sounds to me like a euphemism for cheap and like most things you get what you pay for. Resale value is one thing to consider.

Sprog
23rd October 2009, 03:06 PM
Hey,

I went and looked at prices for a lathe today. Probably not gettin one for a couple of months, but thought i better look at them and do the research first.

Any info would be great.
Thanks
Rob Duca

Hi Rob,
Check out your local woodturners group, you will get great advice and may even pick up a bargain.

Woodturners Assoc of WA (http://woodturnerswa.com/page6.html)

Mulgabill
23rd October 2009, 04:28 PM
When comparing the MC900 in its different guises, check the motor size/ capacity. I believe some advertise the lathes as 3/4 hp when in fact it is only 1/2 hp.

Jim Carroll
23rd October 2009, 05:20 PM
Russel you are not able to tell the difference till you turn it on.

Most use ponies not horses in their ratings:D

The 2 biggest failings on all these MC clones is the motors and the mechanics.

They were designed as spindle turning lathe because it is not till you get to their top speed of 2400 rpm can you get full use of the motor, below that you have a lack of tourque due to the reeves belt type system they use and the motor could not pull the skin of a rice pudding.

Mulgabill
23rd October 2009, 06:31 PM
:iagree:

Farnk
24th October 2009, 11:49 AM
Hey,

Just want to know if anyone has had one or has any pro's/con's on this leda lathe?

Leda Machinery Catalogue (http://ledamachinery.com.au/catalogue/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=67&osCsid=10a7a1fb3fb30c8c50ebd4b4c6e369f6)

Seems to be alright to me and a lot cheaper than i thought. Will probably cost me about $800 for it delivered. It seems like it can turn a large enough bowl for me.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Rob Duca

Mate,

All good feedback from everyone here, you'll find this forum a great place to get info like this but also to see what other people are doing and get ideas for your own turning.

I have a Leda MC900 myself, which replaced my first ever lathe. (which was a Bunnings cheapie GMC) I was lucky to have found it on ebay when there was no-one else that interested and got it for $102. I got the tip on that lathe from this forum!

The lathe has been fine for me and a massive difference to the old GMC. I turn toys, bowls, platters, spindle work, etc. I agree that the tool rest could do with having a longer shaft, but I work around that and one day I'll get a new one made.

The only thing I don't like about my lathe is that it has fairly flimsy pressed steel legs, these lathes also have a set of much heavier cast legs that I'd be keen to pickup one day.

These come up on ebay quite often, new and used so keep an eye out. Not sure what you are looking to turn, but be ready to also purchase some other bits and pieces as you develop your skills.

Best of luck and have fun!

Sturdee
24th October 2009, 03:02 PM
In short: for a beginner it's a good lathe. But the H&F version would serve just as well and is significantly cheaper.

Been reading this thread with interest as I have been under pressure to upgrade my old generic lathe (from my daughter) which vibrated a bit (despite being bolted down on a bench) and did not allow the headstock to be turned out for bowl work, hence rather limiting.

So based on this advice, I had a look at CT and then went on to H & F. After having a good look at theirs I bought one. It was very much cheaper as I got it for $ 399. :D:D Discount on the few remaining unsold stock bought in for the WWS.

Installed it on the bench this afternoon (won't use the stand) and so far I'm favourably impressed with the lathe. Much, much better than I had before.

Starting to enjoy turning now. All I need is better tools to go with it.

Peter.

Mulgabill
24th October 2009, 04:42 PM
.....Starting to enjoy turning now. All I need is better tools to go with it.

Peter.
Good onya Sturdee:2tsup:, It sound if you got a good deal. As long as you are enjoying what you're doing and learning from the experience it does not matter if your are driving a VW or a Merc.

bellyup
25th October 2009, 08:00 AM
The scary thing is you can buy a complete lathe for just a few dollars more than one good chuck and a couple of sets of jaws !!

artme
25th October 2009, 08:14 AM
The scary thing is you can buy a complete lathe for just a few dollars more than one good chuck and a couple of sets of jaws !!

So true, so true!! Makes you wonder does it not???:?:?