PDA

View Full Version : Symtec.

ptc
10th August 2004, 04:45 PM
how many symtec owners out there ?
not cheap but mine has paid for it's self many times.
ptc.

fxst
10th August 2004, 09:57 PM
well that makes 2 of us...............
that admit to owning them :D tho mine is on the market sorta
Pete

ptc
15th August 2004, 10:37 AM
There must be more than two of us ?
ptc .

Shane Watson
15th August 2004, 01:51 PM
There is, or was...do a search, it should yield some interesting reading for you....
Oh, I have one too... ;)

ptc
15th August 2004, 06:56 PM
Thats 3. Anymore.!
ptc.

Laffo
8th September 2004, 08:55 AM
Another one here in Cooma - not having taken up woodwork until I retired, I find it great - I did know someone in Canberra with one who also thought it great, but he had to sell it because of illness, don't know where it went

ptc
8th September 2004, 09:42 AM
a friend of mine in Dalby Qld has two.
a normal one with all the bells and whistles
and the big long one,built a special shed for that one.
he turns columns etc.
that was how i decided to get mine.
ptc

Bruce Micheal
8th September 2004, 09:52 AM
You must meen Ted Hayes!
He demonstrates these lathes at various shows and exhibitions. They are an amazing machine, but should be given the cost. I also know of another person at Miles in QLD who has one that he wishes to sell. It is about 10m long and was used to turn acrhitectural columns. PTC, by the way Ted did mention you as requiring or sourcing western QLD timbers?
;)

ptc
8th September 2004, 10:06 AM
Bruce.
that was before i moved to tassy.
now i grab all the Huon i can lay my hands on.
Its so cool here !
yes it was Ted.
its like Miles in the winter at night. {all day long here.]
just ordered a heater for the Shed.
ptc

Neil
8th September 2004, 10:28 AM
G'day Symtecies - Don't know if it is true or not but word is that Symtec is no more. Have been unable to verify but believe they may have closed down. Anyone have anymore info??? Would be nice to know.

If true, it's a sad state of affairs. Love em or hate em they had a place in the market that filled well.

Cheers - Neil :D

PAH1
8th September 2004, 10:47 AM
G'day Symtecies - Don't know if it is true or not but word is that Symtec is no more. Have been unable to verify but believe they may have closed down. Anyone have anymore info??? Would be nice to know.

If true, it's a sad state of affairs. Love em or hate em they had a place in the market that filled well.

Cheers - Neil :D

They were listed as exhibitors at the Canberra WW show and were not there

Neil
8th September 2004, 06:42 PM
They were supposed to be on the stand behind us in Adelaide and didn't front. Don't think they made it to Sydney either.

fxst
8th September 2004, 09:20 PM
Just as well I have virtually all the accessories :D
seeing as how I decided to not sell mine in the end it may be a blessing (or not)
Pete

Tankstand
8th September 2004, 10:24 PM
I no longer work there, but at the local college my boys attend they have a Symtec with all of the accessories. It is a wonderful lathe for the kids to use, except the tool post was often dropped and I had to keep stoning the base flat :(
Anyway, where am I going with this you may be thinking?

I think the original owner of symtec pulled a dirty (or clever) trick when he announced to all Symtec owners that he was going out of business and promted every one to "Stock up" on consumables etc. We bought several spare cutting tools, a grinding wheel and tool post.

He then sells the business off and the new owners naturally have less custom going their way!

ptc
11th September 2004, 11:37 AM
all i could find out was that they were moving
from the factory to new premises,
as original owner wanted to sell it.
not at show because could not get a competent demonstrator.?
ptc

Shane Watson
11th September 2004, 12:38 PM
Hmmm, wonder if would put his hand up for that........hehehe........ ;)

Scott'n'Canada
12th September 2004, 12:22 PM
Hi all
I might be about to join the Symtec owner's club - I have an offer in on a used one that found it's way to Canada. This brand is awfully hard to find anything about online - even the manufacturer's website is very limited. Thus, you'se all may be my only informed opinion.

Can anyone tell me what a 10 ish year old 1500 model might be worth?? The one I'm looking at has just a couple rust spots, mainly around the motor pulleys, and the bottom of the tool rest. Is there any known flaw that I should be looking out for?? The current owner had the motor wedged downward - apparently the bracket which holds the motor belt in tension isn't too hot.

Thanks in advance for any info - I pick it up tomorrow, provided I don't hear any warnings from you gents.

Thanks,
Scott

RETIRED
12th September 2004, 06:03 PM
Hmmm, wonder if would put his hand up for that........hehehe........ ;)
NOPE!

Shane Watson
12th September 2004, 06:14 PM
hehehe.... :D :p :D :p

fxst
12th September 2004, 09:20 PM
Scott if u think the price is right go for it
I have had mine (1500)for about that long and had no probs with it. if it has an original belt or orig replacement it shouldnt need wedging the weight of the motor(240 volt I assume in Canada?) a bit of rust can be lapped of carefully as the tolerances are pretty tight
Pete

ptc
13th September 2004, 09:29 AM
Scot.
go for it ,had no problems with mine
if you want to secure the motor,
fit new bolt,washers and wing nut.
ptc

Laffo
14th September 2004, 05:50 PM
Just tried to ring Symtec - no answer. Looked them up on the internet white pages (which has the latest position with all phone numbers) and they're not even listed! Sent them an email a couple of days ago, again, no answer.

Does anyone know what's going on? And if they have gone out of business, any ideas about replacement cutting tips?

Laffo in Cooma

ptc
14th September 2004, 06:38 PM
they are relocating.
but do not know where too
ptc