PDA

View Full Version : Thicknesser Stand

Barry_White
10th August 2004, 06:10 PM
This is a picture of a thicknesser stand that I just made. I have had the thicknesser sitting on my B & D Workstation and it has been a pain to move around.

The design came out of the Time Life Woodsmith books that I have been receiving and is build out of 17mm Construction Ply. It has an extension outfeed table and hopefully will help to cut down on any snipe. It also has a drawer in the back for storing any tools etc.

TassieKiwi
11th August 2004, 12:50 AM
Excellent work. Good height, and no shagging about with setup. Nice.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Rowan
11th August 2004, 10:21 AM
Looks great and practical.

Ahhhh to have the room to add something like that to the shed

himzol
11th August 2004, 10:59 AM
Barry,

nice work, I've got mine sitting on a disused instrument trolly from work.

It also has a drawer in the back for storing any tools etc.

I took the drawer of the trolly, I thought it may fill up with shavings and dust etc., might have to put it back.

Himzo.

bob.jager
11th August 2004, 11:24 AM
Hey Barry, would you happen to know how many books are in the Time Life series? - I have received 18 so far and was just wondering how many you have - are they never ending.

Great books though.

Barry_White
11th August 2004, 11:45 AM
Bob

I have only received 15 so far, but I rang them once and they said there was only 14 in that series of Custom Woodworking but they still keep coming.

They have another series called Carpentry Basics or something like that but I sent that back.

I said to my wife I'll cancel it after the next one about six times but the trouble is every time one comes there is something in it that I would like to make so I end up keeping it.

I know this that I wont live long enough to make every thing in them.

I've made three things so far

Sturdee
11th August 2004, 06:12 PM
Looks good Barry. Nice design and wellbuilt.

Peter.

BigPop
11th August 2004, 06:45 PM
Bob,
Before I ordered the books I asked them about how many are in the series etc and the reply I got is :-
ART OF WOODWORKING :-

* Woodworking Machine* Cabinet Making* Portable Power Tools* Wood Finishing* Encyclopaedia of Wood* Hand Tools* The Home Workshop* Routing & Shaping* Handbook of Joinery* Cabinets & Bookcases* Shopmade Jigs & Fixtures* Master Woodworkers* Tables & Desks* Wood Turning* Finish Carpentry* Sharpening * Building Chairs* Wooden Toys & Craft* Restoring Antiques* Shaker Furniture* Advanced Routing* Classic Furniture* Outdoor Furniture* Woodcarving* Kitchen Cabinets
Supply of all titles are subject to availability and publication.
These titles may also be subject to editorial changes and additions.
November-01M:\LISTS\AOW

CUSTOM WOODWORKING :-

* Bookcases & Shelves* The Home Workshop* Shopbuilt Jigs* American Style* Classic Cabinetry* Shop Cabinets Tools* Desks,Tables and Chairs* Small Shop* Outdoor Projects* Traditional Furniture* Workshop Essentials* Weekend & Evening Projects* Home Entertainment*Fine Hand Tools*Kitchen & Dining* Heirloom Projects* 0 Shop Built Machines* 0 Complete Bedrooms
* = Available now
0 = Availability date unknown
Supply of all titles are subject to availability and publication.
These titles may also be subject to editorial changes and additionsJanuary-03

Seems a never ending supply but I think I am nearly at the end of all of them too

Ivan in Oz
11th August 2004, 07:20 PM
This is a picture of a thicknesser stand that I just made.
G'Day Bazza,

It wasn't the Stand I was only looking at. Though it DOES look good.
What's the white 20Ltr Bucket in the background?
I'm going to have to get some dimensions/plans for a DES....

But..... 1st things 1st :(

Count

bitingmidge
11th August 2004, 07:50 PM
Bazza,

The stand looks great. Did you give any consideration to building a continuous table through the machine rather than just extending the outfeed?

I have seen a plan in an old FWW of a rather complicated continuous bed, and have found running stuff through over a bit of 300 melamine shelving does help with snipe...probably would be even better if it was properly levelled and so on.

Just curious to hear your comment, or whether you just adjust the thing properly and be done with it!:D :D

Cheers,

P

Barry_White
11th August 2004, 08:02 PM
G'Day Bazza,

What's the white 20Ltr Bucket in the background?

CountThat's my version of the Sturdee Triton Cyclone dust collector on a mobile stand that I built.

See the post at http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=7652&page=1&pp=15

Barry_White
11th August 2004, 08:15 PM
Bazza,

The stand looks great. Did you give any consideration to building a continuous table through the machine rather than just extending the outfeed?

I have seen a plan in an old FWW of a rather complicated continuous bed, and have found running stuff through over a bit of 300 melamine shelving does help with snipe...probably would be even better if it was properly levelled and so on.

Just curious to hear your comment, or whether you just adjust the thing properly and be done with it!:D :D

Cheers,

PHadn't thought about that, I built the stand mainly for the purpose of being able to move the machine about in a easy manner and to be able to take up less space when not in use.

The extension table lifts off and the wings hinge down to the sides of the stand.

Brett C
12th August 2004, 04:50 PM
We built a FWW style continuous bed stand for our thicknesser in an effort to combat the snipe we were getting on the long thin sticks of spruce that aircraft tend to be constructed from. These sticks can get a whip up which challenges even cutter-head lock equipped planners such as the Delta

It was a complete success – no snipe! (so long as you make sure the piece stays flat on the table)

We fitted the digital read out to make achieving the required +/- 0.005” on nominal dimension quick and easy.

Barry_White
12th August 2004, 09:15 PM
Brett

That truly is an impressive thicknesser table but I am afraid it would take up too much room in my small shop and I needed the portability of the one that I built.

The steel bed would certainly ensure that it was dead flat.

Chesand
12th August 2004, 09:30 PM
I too use a smooth melamine piece across the base of my thicknesser. I started with an old cupboard door about 700mm long and put a cleat on each end of one side so that it fits neatly across the base and thus does not move.
I will make a longer one some time in the future.

I then polished it with UBEAUT EEE so that the timber slides easily. It certainly reduces snipe to almost zero on short pieces and also allows thinner timber to be put through.

bob.jager
12th August 2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the info on the Time Life Books. I'd say that I've got them all, assuming that Heirloom Projects is the same as Gift Projects.

Sorry to have interrupted the thread.

forge
15th August 2004, 12:00 PM
This is a picture of a thicknesser stand that I just made. I have had the thicknesser sitting on my B & D Workstation and it has been a pain to move around.

The design came out of the Time Life Woodsmith books that I have been receiving and is build out of 17mm Construction Ply. It has an extension outfeed table and hopefully will help to cut down on any snipe. It also has a drawer in the back for storing any tools etc.
Thank you for sharing ,Barry ..Have to build me one.
I have my thichnessed bolted to a tabelsaw I started making last year.
This is much better.Regards, Bela

j.stevens
22nd August 2004, 08:07 PM
par
don the ignorance but what is meant by the term 'snipe'

J. Stevens in Brisbane

Bob Willson
22nd August 2004, 08:25 PM
Sometimes at the beginning, but most often at the end, the thicknesser or planer will take a little extra bite from the thickness of the timber for a few centimetres creating a thinner bit on the front or end of the timber that you are milling. This is called snipe.

Grizz
12th September 2004, 08:26 PM
Hi all,
I'm a newbie at woodworking and this is my first post to this Board. Interested in the idea of a continuous bed through the thicknesser and wondering if this will also help in cutting out the bow in timber? Probably a stupid question, but seems that it may have to potential to do so.
Thanks.

Grizz
12th September 2004, 08:34 PM
Hi all,
I'm a newbie at woodworking and this is my first post to this Board. Interested in the idea of a continuous bed through the thicknesser and wondering if this will also help in cutting out the bow in timber? Probably a stupid question, but seems that it may have to potential to do so.
Thanks.

Barry_White
12th September 2004, 09:01 PM
Grizz

A thicknesser will not take the bow out of timber because as you feed it through the thicknesser the pressure rollers will flatten it out and then when it comes out of the thicknesser it will just spring back to its original shape.

To take bows and cupping out of timber you require a jointer planer. Then you put it through the thicknesser to make it parallel in the thickness.

To make it straight and parallel in the width you run one edge over the jointer and cut it parallel on the table saw and then just finish the sawn edge on the jointer.

The longer bed is to reduce the snipe on each end of the timber. My main reason for building the stand was to make it more portable.

Grizz
12th September 2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks Bazza,
It was a nice thought though. I've been experimenting with milling timber using a table saw and, now that I've bought one, a thicknesser. I've had reasonable success and am quite happy with the results so far. Now all I need is to get on to a good supply of recycle timber in this area.

Grizz

Interwood
17th September 2004, 12:53 AM
Brett,

I'm interested in the digital readout. Are you able to give some more details on how you fitted it and how it works. It's awesome!!

Interwood