PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge lidded box

thefixer
23rd October 2009, 08:24 PM
G'day forumites

I made the base of this box last night and was gunna make the lid tonight from a contrasting timber, I.E redgum but I couldn't find the right piece of stock among my dwindling pile and then a voice spoke to me "use the other side of the log stupid" In hindsight I reckon it was the right choice. I can't quite capture the illusion on camera but in real life it appears as though it is turned from one piece of timber.The funny thing is that swmbo cannot get her head around the fact that it is "round" and not "oval".(Another illusion). I think the timber is claret ash, it measures 140 mm wide by 80 mm high, sanded to 600 and finished in wop (couple more coats to go)

Cheers
Shoty

Manuka Jock
23rd October 2009, 08:50 PM
Thats' a clever wee voice you have in your head there Shorty :U

nice work indeed :2tsup:

corbs
23rd October 2009, 10:24 PM
I looked at the pics before reading the text and was trying to figure out how the hell you did it... back of the log makes sense now though:2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
23rd October 2009, 10:35 PM
:2tsup:

artme
24th October 2009, 07:35 AM
You are a clever bugger aren't you?:D:D

That is a bloody neat piece.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Claw Hama
24th October 2009, 07:51 AM
Looks great Shorty, and clever, well done.

brendan stemp
24th October 2009, 08:21 AM
Well done Shorty, I really like the idea. I think the lid could've done with a little more curve to it which would've meant a little less bark but I also think the outside shape is very good. And your finish looks spot on from what I can see.

Farnk
24th October 2009, 11:54 AM
Nice work mate, lose any knuckles?:D

thefixer
24th October 2009, 04:39 PM
Nice work mate, lose any knuckles?:D

Didn't lose any knuckles but almost lost an elbow when the arm recoiled from a little sanding catch and smacked into the tool rest:C. I was sure I put that bugger well out of the way too.:doh:

Thanks one and all for the kind words.

Cheers
Shorty

orraloon
24th October 2009, 06:06 PM
Good one Shorty, Another idea filed away.http://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif
Regards
John

marter1229
25th October 2009, 02:31 AM
:2tsup::2tsup:Outstanding!
I am adding that to my "todo" list.

Actually I will add it to the top of the list.

Thank you for sharing.
Terry

Ozkaban
26th October 2009, 09:01 AM
Clever, and looks great too!

I find LOML is brilliant for thinking of these sort of ideas. As a non-woodie, she isn't as constrained in her thinking about what can be done with wood, I think.

Cheers,
Dave