PDA

View Full Version : moisture tester , ebay , cheep , lost of them ,change for $16

SawDustSniffer
24th October 2009, 02:23 PM
bought one of these and find my self stabing every thing ,
Digital Wood Timber Moisture Damp Meter Analyzer Tester - eBay (item 150379798734 end time Nov-10-09 20:24:04 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/Digital-Wood-Timber-Moisture-Damp-Meter-Analyzer-Tester_W0QQitemZ150379798734QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item230355a0ce)

disclamer , ,:2tsup: not in any way connected to this company ,just a happy customer :2tsup:

BobL
24th October 2009, 02:33 PM
Looks interesting and reasonable value for money and I'd consider buying one if I didn't have 2 MCMs already.:2tsup:

A couple of things to be aware of when using resistance type Moisture content meters (MCM).

When measuring MC, measurement precision (ie measurement reproducibility) is species, size, shape, and drying procedure and measurement procedure dependent so a claimed 1% precision is not a real MC precision, it just means the meters scale reads to the nearest 1% MC. A 1% precision on a 5% MC reading is 0.05% MC and on 40% its 0.04% MC, which this meter (actually no MCM ) cannot achieve.

As for the claimed accuracy of 1%. Without species specific calibration there is no way that a resistance type MCM is accurate to 1%. Straight out of the box a resistance type MCM will be lucky to be +/- 20% of the scale reading in the mid range (ie a reading of 20% MCM is anywhere between 16 and 24%), and at the extreme ends of the scale it could be as much as +/- 50%. It is possible to calibrate resistance MCMs to be more accurate especially in the mid range MC but it is a lot of work because each species has to be calibrated individually.

For comparative same species purposes it will be OK, ie this piece is drier that that that pieces.

Calm
24th October 2009, 05:59 PM
I have one of these type and use it as an indicator - If it shows 12 or 18 it is probably usable if it is off the scale or high then probably too wet/green. under 10 you can definitely use it.

As Bob said not accurate but can give you an idea/indication of moisture content.

Cheers

rsser
24th October 2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I use one for checking the progress on a roughed out bowl. Test periodically in the same area and write the figure beside each set of pin holes.

brendan stemp
24th October 2009, 07:44 PM
I can only but agree with Calm and Ern. I bought one and am happy with what it does given its limitations.

mikm
24th October 2009, 10:37 PM
Might have to get me one of those at that price, while keeping in mind the sensible comments about being useful for relative but not absolute measurements.

It doesn't change the conclusion, but it looks like you slipped a decimal place, Bob.

Ed Reiss
24th October 2009, 11:06 PM
I'm just kinda' wondering why they put the picture in upside down :?