PDA

View Full Version : JessEm Rout-R-Lift (PART 2 of 2)

Shedhand
25th October 2009, 04:42 PM
New Product Review
Jessem Rout-R-Lift (Part 2)

The Rout-R-Lift in Action

I fired the routers up today and cut a few dovetails and pins in some scrap Myrtle (squared up on the Kapex :wink:). I started the router up in low speed made a cut then hit the Safety switch off. I increased the speed up to the next step and started up again, watching carefully to see if there was any discernible movement of the router due to torque. I repeated this process for each cut I made until I reached maximum speed.

To the naked eye I couldn't detect any torque movement in the router or the Rout-R-Lift within the cut-out (mind you the cutout is a very snug fit). I repeated the process with the second unit with the same result.

The dovetail joint I made was snug and required just a small amount of manual pressure to bring them together.

As a test of the winder accuracy, I didn't use my Digital Vernier to set the cutter height on the routers. I used the stock to gauge the height of the first router by placing it flat on the Gifkin template and wound the Rout-R-Lift until I had a flush height (remember though this was a test of the Rout-R-Lift adjusting winder's accuracy, normally I would have the cutter height just proud of the stock thickness to allow for cleanup).

I noted the number of turns and the position of the indicator on the main plate and without using the stock to gauge the height of the pin router bit, I just wound the 2nd unit up the same number of turns to the same position as on the first unit.

I then made the pin cuts. Whether it was planning or plain luck the d/t fit perfectly flush on both surfaces. In future, I won't rely on that method for my work and will use a vernier.

This is going to allow me to ramp up box making no end.

I'm very impressed with the Rout-R-Lift and have no hesitation recommending the unit as a best "bang for buck" for power tool accessory.

NOTE: Regarding installation as described in Part 1 of this review

1. After the units were installed in the table, I wound both up and down to their full lift range. I found that the No1 Router wouldn't raise all the way up. Discovered that my cutout was 1/8th undersize and the riser plate caught the lip of the cutout. A quick run with the hand held router fixed it.

2. While I had the units out of the table I marked out and drilled 7mm holes in the supporting lip of the cutout to match the position of the grub screws in the levelling rails so i could insert an Allen key from under the table while the units were in place.

Anyone buying a JessEm for a custom table will find final levelling much easier this way.

I hope this 2 part review has been of interest and some help.

Cheers
Sheddie

fubar
25th October 2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the review nicely donehttp://cdn.woodworkforums.com/images/smilies/actions/2thumbsup.gif

Expat
26th October 2009, 10:31 AM
I have the Rout-R-Lift FX and I love it. Easy to set up my cuts and repeat them time after time. Minute adjustment is spot on.

Jessem are about an hour's drive away in Barrie, Ont. and their customer service is second to none. Called them up on a Friday arvo looking for the template for the lift and had it in my hands Monday noon.

Shedhand
26th October 2009, 12:43 PM
I have the Rout-R-Lift FX and I love it. Easy to set up my cuts and repeat them time after time. Minute adjustment is spot on.

Jessem are about an hour's drive away in Barrie, Ont. and their customer service is second to none. Called them up on a Friday arvo looking for the template for the lift and had it in my hands Monday noon.Went to Canada (Toronto and Montreal) in 2003 and averywhere I went the service was great except at a major tourist hotel at Niagara Falls (maitre'd was a total pig). Seems Canadians know the true meaning of service. :2tsup:

waikune
26th October 2009, 04:05 PM
I’ve been reading with interest Shedhand’s review of his router table purchase. My Grandfather taught me that Price is what you pay and Cost is what it costs over the life of the product, so when choosing my router lifter I consulted an engineering friend to help me substantiate the price of the Woodpecker Unilift.

My friend recommended the Unilift for the following benefits (which Shedhand has identified) The FOUR riser posts (2 each side of the router) ensure no flexing compared to the two post systems, The Unilift aluminium plate is cast, then ground (ensuring a flat surface) compared to a rolled plate, and is also 66% thicker at 10mm compared to many at only 6mm. The 2 cranking positions (front and back) and the brake/lock system, together with the 3 insert rings, a starter pin, a bag full of bolts to suit fitting all routers were additional benefits that were not available in many other lifters. My other concern was the rubber belt; my shed gets stinking hot, so I worried about the life of the rubber vs. the Unilift steel chain.

So the above features together with the lifetime guarantee and a lifter that was “digital ready” convinced me to purchase the Unilift. Next week’s my birthday so I’m treating myself to a Wixey Digital Router table readout. My wife is convinced I have a birthday every month:B!

Shedhand
26th October 2009, 07:00 PM
I’ve been reading with interest Shedhand’s review of his router table purchase. My Grandfather taught me that Price is what you pay and Cost is what it costs over the life of the product, so when choosing my router lifter I consulted an engineering friend to help me substantiate the price of the Woodpecker Unilift.

My friend recommended the Unilift for the following benefits (which Shedhand has identified) The FOUR riser posts (2 each side of the router) ensure no flexing compared to the two post systems, The Unilift aluminium plate is cast, then ground (ensuring a flat surface) compared to a rolled plate, and is also 66% thicker at 10mm compared to many at only 6mm. The 2 cranking positions (front and back) and the brake/lock system, together with the 3 insert rings, a starter pin, a bag full of bolts to suit fitting all routers were additional benefits that were not available in many other lifters. My other concern was the rubber belt; my shed gets stinking hot, so I worried about the life of the rubber vs. the Unilift steel chain.

So the above features together with the lifetime guarantee and a lifter that was “digital ready” convinced me to purchase the Unilift. Next week’s my birthday so I’m treating myself to a Wixey Digital Router table readout. My wife is convinced I have a birthday every month:B!
Hi Waikune, timing BELTS in cars (working in very high temperature conditions) replaced timing CHAINS many years ago due to the chains stretching over time. The rubber belt on the JessEm lift is not subject to the same temperature extremes. The rubber beft is fibre reinforced (like vehicle timimg belts) and unlikely to stretch. Even if it did the replacement cost would be a lot cheaper than a chain. as to thickness of the main plate, mine is flat according to my engineering quality level. Drop something heavy on the cast plate and cracking or even breakage could be the result. I made the comment that I thought the UniLift was over-engineered for the average woodworker and I stand by that. However, for heavy use and larger scale routing requirements this level of engineering is probably warranted. In my case, I make boxes mostly so my setup is the optimum for me.
Cheers and thanks for the comments
Sheddie

Lignum
26th October 2009, 07:23 PM
Great stuff Sheddie.:2tsup: Your workshop looks the goods. Must get my act together and get down to check it out:)

Shedhand
26th October 2009, 08:43 PM
Great stuff Sheddie.:2tsup: Your workshop looks the goods. Must get my act together and get down to check it out:)Anytime mate. Sleeping arrangements are primitive (tools get priority) but adequate. You can show me some Domie tricks and catch a trout i the backyard. How're things going in your new digs? :2tsup:

Lignum
26th October 2009, 08:50 PM
Sleeping arrangements are primitive (tools get priority)

ill just sleep with the festools

Tisorp
26th October 2009, 09:18 PM
Thank you Shedhand for this interesting and potentially cost saving review.
Much appreciated.
Cheers ,Jeff

Shedhand
26th October 2009, 09:50 PM
ill just sleep with the festoolsHmmm...3somes...:D

Shedhand
26th October 2009, 09:51 PM
Thank you Shedhand for this interesting and potentially cost saving review.
Much appreciated.
Cheers ,JeffYou're welcome Jeff. :wink:

waikune
26th October 2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Shedhand -You quote " I understand that there have been some problems worldwide with the UniLift chain stretching over time." If you were to look closely at a Unilift, the chain, and adjusting cam I think you will agree that your above quote just does not make any sense.:?

Even if it could stretch it would have to stretch one "hell of a lot" to cause a problem....and what would cause the stretch? ...for sure it's not the load in a router lifter! Perhaps I should contact Woodpeckers and see if this is the case?

I just simply wanted to express what features and benefits I considered in choosing the lifter I purchased.

Lignum
26th October 2009, 10:10 PM
Hmmm...3somes...:D

:? You ONLY have 2 Festools:?

Shedhand
26th October 2009, 10:25 PM
Hi Shedhand -You quote " I understand that there have been some problems worldwide with the UniLift chain stretching over time." If you were to look closely at a Unilift, the chain, and adjusting cam I think you will agree that your above quote just does not make any sense.:?

Even if it could stretch it would have to stretch one "hell of a lot" to cause a problem....and what would cause the stretch? ...for sure it's not the load in a router lifter! Perhaps I should contact Woodpeckers and see if this is the case?

I just simply wanted to express what features and benefits I considered in choosing the lifter I purchased.No probs mate. No argument from me. With the purported stretching of the chain, I'm not sure, it was something some-one (I forget who) mentioned to me. But like I said, I do like the UniLift, its just a bit outside my finances which have plunged like a Beluga whale in the North Sea of late. :;
EDIT. I've retracted the unsubstantiated comment regarding the chain. Don't want to cause any problems for anyone.

Expat
26th October 2009, 10:31 PM
Went to Canada (Toronto and Montreal) in 2003 and averywhere I went the service was great except at a major tourist hotel at Niagara Falls (maitre'd was a total pig). Seems Canadians know the true meaning of service. :2tsup:
Yeah they seem a nice enough bunch..... compared to the "neighbours" at least. The one I cohabit with is okay and the little ones are 50/50 Oz/Canuck so I guess they get the best of both!:wink:

Shedhand
26th October 2009, 10:31 PM
:? You ONLY have 2 Festools:? No, you dufus - got lots, Domie, Trion, ETS150/3 Plus, Kapex, OF900E plenty to keep us warm. :D

artme
7th November 2009, 09:10 AM
A great review Shedhand. You covered everything so well.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

BUT I am still buggered if i know why people go to such expense!:no::no::no:

I have said this several times in other places, but Ill say it again; Build your own lifter use a car jack. Might not look as fancy but it will work.

In any case the Triton is in no need of a lifter.

I would sooner put the money to other uses.

Shedhand
7th November 2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks Art.

"Build your own lifter use a car jack. Might not look as fancy gut it will work."
I didn't have 2 car jacks and the one have, I need for the car. If you saw my "shed" (2 converted bedrooms in my hut) youd know that space is at a premium and 2 jacks would require floor space under my bench which I use for storage.

"In any case the Trton is in no need of a lifter."
The Tritons DO need a lifter when mounted upside down in a table: 1: because they are very hard to adjust as it seems the press and turn release mechanism in the hand grips are not designed to work with the weight of the router when upside down. 2: because the poor state of my spine and hips makes it painfull to be reaching underneath to make adjustments.

"I would sooner put the money to other uses."
I already did!! :D

Cheers
Sheddie

artme
8th November 2009, 07:19 AM
1. You don't need 2 car jacks Sheddie. A bottle jack is fine.

2. I have no trouble with my Triton. You do need to take the spring out that controls the plunge mechanism.

3. good for you. Mind telling me what?

Still a bloody good review!!!

Shedhand
8th November 2009, 11:34 AM
1. You don't need 2 car jacks Sheddie. A bottle jack is fine. Did you mean a bottle of jack mate, :D

2. I have no trouble with my Triton. You do need to take the spring out that controls the plunge mechanism. Did that.

3. good for you. Mind telling me what? FESTOOLS!!!! Of course! :2tsup:

Still a bloody good review!!! Thanks!

Poppa
13th November 2009, 07:19 AM
Top review Sheddie, thanks very much. I've had the same idea as you - two routers for speed in doing multiple dovetails all at once. I was thinking I'd mount them in 2 separate tables, because I want to put them on wheels (mine will need to be shoved over to the side of my workshop when not in use). What do you think the pros and cons are of mounting them in one table or two? I'm interested in your opinion because you obviously use yours as is in one table - does that work well or do you reckon two would be better?

Greenie on its way...

Shedhand
13th November 2009, 06:48 PM
Top review Sheddie, thanks very much. I've had the same idea as you - two routers for speed in doing multiple dovetails all at once. I was thinking I'd mount them in 2 separate tables, because I want to put them on wheels (mine will need to be shoved over to the side of my workshop when not in use). What do you think the pros and cons are of mounting them in one table or two? I'm interested in your opinion because you obviously use yours as is in one table - does that work well or do you reckon two would be better?

Greenie on its way...Thanks for the praise mate. My table is fairly compact as I'm strangled for space as well. I've mounted a 4 gang power point on mine and I plug the two safety shutoff switches into these and plug each router into its own safety switch. I also plug the Festool C22 dusty in to the plug as well and then plug the power cord from the power point to the the dusties power outlet. So its all in one place and and good to use.
Good luck with yours mate.

philf
18th November 2009, 03:59 PM
Good review Sheddie :2tsup:

Just in case others are thinking about buying one, I just received an email from Northwood Tool Company and they have these on special.

JessEm Router Lift J-02001 Normally $399.99 Show Clearance Price $359

Conditions:

Phone Orders Only, no web site orders applicable Only current stock, no rain checks
Payment with order (Jessem J-02040 which requires a 25% non refundable deposit)
Prices exclude shipping but we will confirm ship cost if necessary before taking order.
All stock new and unopened.
Some packaging slightly shopsoiled ( a few JessEm and Chris Vesper were opened to ensure no shipping damage on return from USA)
Prices finish Noon Friday 20th November 2009

Phone 61 7 3888 6530

The usual disclaimer no affiliation blah blah