PDA

View Full Version : Door stopper designs?

bellyup
25th October 2009, 06:50 PM
G'day All,
I'm hoping someone might have seen a design for a weighted door stopper - not the little wedgey thing you jam between the door and the floor but something like a book-end type of thing.
My old mum has French doors that open inward off the verandah leaving a 20 - 30mm gap when open and she is too old now to bend down to chock them open.
I was thinking something along the line of "a wheel of cheese cut in quarters", maybe a little like TITT's idea for business card holders or a solid, large based vase sliced down through the centre.....dunno......my brain hurts.
Appreciate any thoughts.
Bruce.

brendan stemp
26th October 2009, 12:10 PM
Gday Bruce,

Turn a 10" bowl (bottom only, dont take the guts out of it) out of a desert timber (nice n' heavy) then simply cut it in half, sand and finish the surface that has been cut, glue some non slip material on the bottom and, voila! two door stops. No charge for the idea!!

Manuka Jock
26th October 2009, 12:56 PM
Thats a great idea guys .:2tsup:
A good way to make use of that big knotty lump of ugly wood
I might bang out one(2) meself :D

bellyup
26th October 2009, 04:51 PM
G'day Brendan,
Thanks for the idea.....big ugly heavy desert wood..... I think I've got some of that.
Now I just need to think how to make it look purdy :2tsup::?
Jock, Send pics of yours when you do.
Bruce.

Texian
27th October 2009, 05:00 AM
Might consider adding a vertical stick (dowel) with knob on top so the thing could be picked up without bending over, avoid just kicking it around the floor. My back also hates bending and stooping, so can relate to the issue.

Manuka Jock
27th October 2009, 08:59 AM
Might consider adding a vertical stick (dowel) with knob on top so the thing could be picked up without bending over, avoid just kicking it around the floor. My back also hates bending and stooping, so can relate to the issue.
If ya makes the stick long enough , ya can hang ya hat and coat on it too :2tsup: :D

Ashore
27th October 2009, 12:21 PM
:google2: Creative Doorstop Designs - Lazy Palace (http://www.lazypalace.com/creative-doorstop-designes/)
though theres heaps out there heres a picture of a plastic ( i would guess ) wedge
you should be able to get a similar one with a router and core bit, though usind a burl would also be stunning , when seen that is :wink:

Manuka Jock
27th October 2009, 01:06 PM
:google2: Creative Doorstop Designs - Lazy Palace (http://www.lazypalace.com/creative-doorstop-designes/)
though theres heaps out there heres a picture of a plastic ( i would guess ) wedge
you should be able to get a similar one with a router and core bit, though usind a burl would also be stunning , when seen that is :wink:

:D:U:2tsup: