PDA

View Full Version : Wood Turning Beginner

Brunswick
26th October 2009, 01:41 PM
Does anyone know where i can get a lesson on woodturning using a lathe in the Brunswick (Melbourne) area?

cheers

jamie

Calm
26th October 2009, 02:40 PM
There is a woodturning club not far - Allan from Wallan (definetly) or Rsser (maybe) could direct you in the right direction. Join them, enjoy the company and get ideas from several people.

BTW enjoy the adventure it's great & welcome to a great place - this forum

Cheers

rsser
26th October 2009, 05:45 PM
Brunswick area is a bit limiting Jamie.

Can you travel?

As Calm mentioned, Northern Woodturners meet in Reservoir or maybe Bundoora it is.

Is there anything in particular you want to learn?

I may be able to help; but I'm in Reservoir too. PM me if interested.

jefferson
26th October 2009, 11:28 PM
Jamie,

you've come to the right place.

The "Victorian chapter" of the forum is particularly active. We meet regularly in Melbourne and nearby districts regularly. And I travel some distance (from noth-east Victoria) to get there, such is the value of the friendship, good times, instruction, mentoring and the introductions. Not to mention those that visit from interstate.

Ern was the first to come to help me when I first asked for it. (And I'm a long way from Melbourne and Ern was "just going past". As for David, AKA Calm, he did over 1000kms in his car driving me around a few months back, plus a lot more earlier.... Just a few examples.)

Too many great friends / turners here to mention them all. Someone will take you under their wing. (Some caveats there, you could be an axe murderer.... :wink:)

On the "board", we have production "pro" turners, like and Brendan Stemp. Then go the opposite and think of Ken Wraight. Google them all.

Get out to the Northern Club. I'm pretty sure that Ken W helps out there and he is not only a "good" turner but a much better teacher. To paraphrase another, he's a nice bloke up to the neck.

I can assure you that the whole crew will make you welcome - and "turn" you into a better woodturner.

You will meet many, many decent people here. Yes, some different characters and differing views on how to turn. You'll have to sort both out for yourself.

Just a word of caution: do not read too much into the banter that goes on.

For example, when I say that is a show-off, I may sound disrespectful. But that's not the case. It's an affectionate description and perhaps more importanly, that's how (my No 1 Master) deals with crowds.

Get active on the board, Jamie. I only ask that you search the forum thread before you simply say: Is the Vicmarc VL300 a good lathe? And then, if you are thinking about a VL300, at least three of us will probably respond.

Start with Ern if he's willing and you can travel. I could not recommend a better introduction. Ern cuts a lot less aggressively than others and that's important for beginners like you and I. Safe cuts = no catches = product = satisfaction.

After that, well, it's up to you.

I assure you that you do not need to spend thousands of $ to get started and enjoy turning (subject to some reservations). You are welcome to come up here to Kiewa (an incomplete shed, but a "palace"). While you are here, look at what I can turn.

Then see if you can get an invite to Skew's place (you can barely move) and see what he can turn on modest equipment in a metre square.)

All of this will be your part of your education. You make sense of it as you will.

PM me or any of the others. We will help.

In the last 12-18 months, I've learnt much about woodturning than I could out of any book or DVD or instruction from the local club "expert".

I've met people that have turned into life-long friends. There are no secrets here. Woodturners share.

Ask and people will help. Please return in kind.

(Sorry Frank and David for the long-winded reply, but I thought this one was important).

powderpost
26th October 2009, 11:36 PM
I am a bit far away to help... :)
Jim

Brunswick
27th October 2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks all for your comments.
I have PM Rsser.
I can travel a bit but are limited by work. Reservoir or suburbs around Brunswick are OK.
Thanks Jefferson for your comments, i shall certainly try and use the blog often and will try and follow up on some of the leads you have given me.

cheers

jamie

jefferson
28th October 2009, 05:19 AM
Jamie,

I forgot to warn you that Ern used to be the biggest "tool slut" on the board. He'll dazzle you a bit, but if nothing else, make sure that he shows you how to sharpen. And he will. For me, that's Step 1.

Information over-load it will be in the coming months. But just keep asking questions.

And above all, practice. It's the main part of the journey.

If you make a mistake (typically, a "catch"), stop and find out why. (Probably Tip no 5 - one of 's - in the soon to be published Top 100 Turning Tips).

After Ern shows you how he (and I) gently cut wood, get down to 's workshop in the New Year and see how others do it. Aggressive heathens. :D:D

I was where you are 12-18 months ago (it may be more) and the turners here have been terrific from Day 1.

Calm
28th October 2009, 08:05 AM
Really worried about you Grasshopper - out of bed at 5.20am - wet the bed again did we. :p:p:p or still up?:D:D:D

Ah yes old age - daily bowel movement at 5.30 am get up at 7

Cheers

rsser
28th October 2009, 08:13 AM
:roflmao:

hughie
28th October 2009, 09:00 AM
(Sorry Frank and David for the long-winded reply, but I thought this one was important)

She'll be right I needed a good read. :2tsup:
Brunswick if you get on the wrong freeway and end up in Sydney :U Drop by I should have the shed done a a few weeks...yeehaa! you can have a go in my sandpit, might just be the excuse to throW a turnathon.:U

jefferson
28th October 2009, 11:25 AM
Really worried about you Grasshopper - out of bed at 5.20am - wet the bed again did we. :p:p:p or still up?:D:D:D

Ah yes old age - daily bowel movement at 5.30 am get up at 7

Cheers

Calm,

I again remind you that I am the Little Grasshopper.

When considers that my turning has improved enough, I may "turn" into a fully-fledged Hopper.

As for being up in the middle of the night. Nerves, mate, about travelling, airports and new people at Prosperpine. No bladder problems here just yet. :D

bowl-basher
28th October 2009, 11:36 AM
She'll be right I needed a good read. :2tsup:
Brunswick if you get on the wrong freeway and end up in Sydney :U Drop by I should have the shed done a a few weeks...yeehaa! you can have a go in my sandpit, might just be the excuse to throW a turnathon.:U

:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:
ABOUT TIME WE HAD A SYDNEY GET TOGETHER
lets see if we can get something going
Bowl basher

Ed Reiss
28th October 2009, 11:45 AM
Hi Brunswick...welcome to the asylum :U

Don't listen to what that mob has to say...if you want to learn how to turn the right way, you need to get lessons from an American...me in particular. (:wink:)

Of course it's gonna cost ya'...airfare to Jersey, room and board, plus a lot of $$$ for the lesson itself, and even more $$$ for an additional lesson...then there's the airfare back, and......:doh::D:D:D

Allen Neighbors
28th October 2009, 01:31 PM
Welcome to the nuthouse. Good bunch, here. Wish I could make the trip down under. Nothin' but good advice from everyone!.... well... maybe Ed......... :D

nalmo
28th October 2009, 06:22 PM
I found the Jet Tools videos on youtube really helpful when starting out. Just search for "Jet Turning" and they should show up. Gives the basics of how to use the tools, and other videos showing their application in several projects. And of course there's always plenty of advice on any question you may put up on the forum.

Allan at Wallan
28th October 2009, 09:09 PM
Welcome "Brunswick".

Northern Woodturners Club meet each Wednesday morning in the Kingsbury
Scout Hall, Browning St, Kingsbury at 8.00am till midday.

We have 15 lathes and 38 members and the club is going well since we
transferred from Thornbury in January with 25 members. Our main emphasis
has been on updating the power supply, installing dust extraction and air
filters systems, implementing safety training and generally making it a
great place to be. It is an exceptionally active and happy group.

At a forthcoming committee meeting we will be looking to extend our
workshop hours to perhaps having a night time group. This will cater for those
who work during the day. You may be interested.

Feel free to PM me or simply call in on a Wednesday morning if you
can to see our setup.

Best wishes,

Allan (Vice President N.W.T).