PDA

View Full Version : My First Complaint

Termite
11th August 2004, 01:56 PM
There has been in the past, complaints about various suppliers. Well now it's happened to me too.
A certain un-named (for the usual reasons) company in Sydney, and it's not H&F, has lost me as a customer. In the past 12 months I've spent quite a few thousand dollars with them and when I rang and asked them to bring 2 router bits to Newcastle Show with them on the weekend I was less than politely, in fact downright rudely, informed that they were taking their selection of bits with them and that if I wanted something I had to buy it over the phone and pay freight, they were running a business not a bloody courier company! Up untill the blast about running a business I was going to by them there and then.
Well they will be running their business without the custom of a 60 year old with enough money to indulge his hobby. :mad: :mad:
Thank you for letting me get that off my chest, I feel much better now. :D And guess who will be asking to speak to whoever is in charge of their stand at Newcastle.
Bitchy Termite :rolleyes:

Wood Borer
11th August 2004, 02:34 PM
Termite,

Before the last Melbourne show, I rang MIK about whether they would be bringing a particular plane across. They told me they were bringing one across.

When I spoke to them at their stand, not only had they brought several across but they had put one aside for me with my name on it! On the phone I had not promised to buy one and there was no comitment from MIK for me to buy it at the show. I bought that one and two others as it turned out.

Guess which tool supplier at the Melbourne show will be taking back hundreds or perhaps over a thousand dollars of mine to Adelaide again this year? :)

I can understand your disgust and disappointment and unless it was a one off unfortunate incident, I would take a similar attitude.

Loyalty is a great thing when it is not abused.

- Wood Borer

outback
11th August 2004, 03:17 PM
I don't get it
I don't get it
I DON'T GET IT

I am afraid termites experience is all too common. Most of us have had bad experiences with too many companies. I am afraid I chuck a wobbly with a poor supplier pretty easily, and I just don't bother going back, usually giving them a fair blast to let them know where they stand.

MIK shouldn't be a standout, they should be just another company, but because they, and a couple of others, seem to go against the trend and offer a bit of service they really stand out.

Can't the competition see this?

I just don't get it.

Termite
11th August 2004, 04:20 PM
I totally support the good statements about Mik. When I haven't been able to get something from the unnamed supplier I always bought from Mik. They will be getting a lot more of my business now.
regards
Termite

kiwigeo
11th August 2004, 10:26 PM
I totally support the good statements about Mik. When I haven't been able to get something from the unnamed supplier I always bought from Mik. They will be getting a lot more of my business now.
regards
Termite
I cant say a bad word about Mik ....I went in to buy a router and some paring chisels and even though I was obviously ignorant on routers they (Phil was the guys name) took the time to go through each machine they had in stock and point out it's good and bad points. They then left me alone for a bit to have a think. There was no pressure at all to buy. Ill defintiely be going back there.

Martin

TassieKiwi
11th August 2004, 10:39 PM
YEAH for Phil at Mik. If I'm right, he attended the WW show at Launceston. Couldn't find a better more attentive and focussed bloke. O.K., I did end up spending $500+, but I am no pushover, and ever since (this was last summer) all I have read in this great tome has only backed up the information that he... gifted to me re: sharpening and waterstones. Cool dude. Makes his own planes too.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Tankstand
11th August 2004, 10:57 PM
I purchased the Porter Cable Biscuit joiner at the Adelaide T&WWW Show.
Glenfords didn't have any, They told me the show price and said they would be in stock in two weeks time. MIK had one at the show and matched Glenfords price on the spot!
Thumbs up MIK :)

Ian007
11th August 2004, 11:37 PM
Phil at MIK is a legend for sure, but rumour has it that Phil will now only be part time at MIK, Story goes that he is now going to spend lots of time on his hand made planes ( and for the hand plane junkies Ashby tool Co is up there with the best, and a sharper plane blade would be hard to find any where on the planet, lets not forget that Phil Ashby is the master of sharp) thats IMHO by the way

Having said that Tony at Mik is also a legend, I often go out of my way to get served by Tony and have been happy with his advise on lots of tool matters for a long while. He is also a knowledgeable Bloke on lots so do yourself a favour and see Tony He will always see you right.

While on the subject of good sevice I have always been looked after at Leda as well

Cheers Ian :)

Ps anybody note that color is spelt the American way without a U in the toolbar at the top of the thread box where we type our messages

gatiep
12th August 2004, 12:20 AM
Hey Termite, if these guys did that to you, spill the name mate. This thread has now become a Mik is super thread. Living in the West I wouldn't know as we have a supplier second to none in Perth.

ernknot
12th August 2004, 11:59 PM
Do you think these guys who provide outhouse service read these forums??
Ernie

Bob Willson
13th August 2004, 09:13 AM
Hey Termite

The reason that we have these pages is so that we can warn each other about crap service such as you received and also to pass on the good news when companies go out of their way to be better than the rest. Between us (just the regulars) we probably spend well over $500K a year on various tools and we influence a hell of a lot of other people who are just lurking and learning
This isn't much good if you are going to come over all coy as to the name of the company with whom you have a beef.
You say "A certain un-named (for the usual reasons)"
What "usual reasons"? If you have had crap service then you have every right in the world to tell everybody here. There are no "usual reasons" that are applicable. Ummm ... apart from being a total chicken wimp that is. :)

Wood Borer
13th August 2004, 09:32 AM
Bob,

One company in particular has threatened to sue if anyone gives them negative publicity on this BB. Perhaps that's why Termite is not revealing their name.

He doesn't want his house blown on settling with a company who went out of their way to upset him causing him to complain and then taking his money off him because he complained. It's not being wimpish it is the realisation he is living in an Australia where companies are more likely to sue than give good service.

- Wood Borer

RETIRED
13th August 2004, 10:14 AM
Bob,

One company in particular has threatened to sue if anyone gives them negative publicity on this BB. Perhaps that's why Termite is not revealing their name.

He doesn't want his house blown on settling with a company who went out of their way to upset him causing him to complain and then taking his money off him because he complained. It's not being wimpish it is the realisation he is living in an Australia where companies are more likely to sue than give good service.

- Wood Borer
Too true.

The name would have been deleted by me or any other moderators had it been printed.

There is always email if you want to know.

Read the warnings at the top of every forum and would suggest that you read this thread. http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=5194

Bob Willson
13th August 2004, 12:56 PM
The crux of the whole thing is the truth aspect.

Eg. You can't say "XXXXXX(brand) table saw is rubbish because tey never cut accurately and the nut on the arbour comes loose all the time"

BUT YOU CAN SAY "On my XXXXXX table saw, the arbour nut comes loose all the time and it won't cut accurately"

You can say anything you like about anyone as long as it's true. (AND you better be able to back it up with proof).

Dan
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________OK. I have cut and pasted the last comment that was on the above thread.
This is the point that I want to make as well. It is NOT defaming somebody to say that they have red hair if they do in fact have red hair. It is however a defamation to say that they dye their hair if the colour is in fact a natural colour.
Similarly, There is nothing wrong with saying that I ordered a saw from company x. They said that it would be delivered in 5 days but here we are 10 days later and the saw still hasn't been delivered. This is NOT a defamation, it is FACT. There may be mitigating circumstances as to why the saw has not been delivered but this is...
I was going to say that it is irrelevant, but it isn't. If the ship carrying the saw had sunk or God had decided to recall the carriers to his demense then that would be a mitigating circumstance and should be noted as well.
But to rteturn to the point, if I kill somebody and another somebody puts this fact up on a web site then I am not being defamed. If this were the case then there would be no newspapers. No criminal news would be printable for fear of law suits from the wrongdoers. Even telling another person about the happening would also be a sueable offence. This is patently NOT the case.

Termite
13th August 2004, 01:13 PM
You say "A certain un-named (for the usual reasons)"
What "usual reasons"? If you have had crap service then you have every right in the world to tell everybody here. There are no "usual reasons" that are applicable. Ummm ... apart from being a total chicken wimp that is.

TO BOB WILLSON FROM THE TOTAL CHICKEN WIMP.

At least I have the brains to not risk everything I've spent the last 60 years working for. I'll save my "LOUD MOUTH" for the people involved.
It's nice to see that you put a lot of thought into your posts/replys. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Less than kind regards
Termite

silentC
13th August 2004, 01:18 PM
I agree with Bob, I think that "the Good the Bad and the Ugly" should give equal space all three. There are certain companies that get a constant bad rap, ie. a certain hardware chain. Yet that seems to be OK for some reason. It's not too hard to work out who Termite is talking about if you are from Sydney.

I am completely aware of the rules of the forum and I abide by them because they are the rules. I can understand why the moderators want to avoid problems in this area and it's up to them to decide where to draw the line. I am not being critical of the forum.

I don't really believe that if Termite named the company in question they would have grounds to sue him - people frequently write to papers like the Sydney Morning Herald talking about bad service they have had from telephone companies, banks etc. These companies have far greater resources than the companies we are talking about, yet you don't often see action against the Herald for things they print in their letters page. Maybe for something a journo writes but that I believe is different.

Yet again I understand why the moderators would prefer not to have the question asked in the first place.

It's just a shame that some companies don't take it on the chin and try and do something about it, rather than trying to supress it. It's not like there is a big choice in this country. Maybe that's why.

Bob Willson
13th August 2004, 01:25 PM
TO BOB WILLSON FROM THE TOTAL CHICKEN WIMP.

At least I have the brains to not risk everything I've spent the last 60 years working for. I'll save my "LOUD MOUTH" for the people involved.
It's nice to see that you put a lot of thought into your posts/replys. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Less than kind regards
Termite
Oh Termite, didn't you see the smiley after the wimp bit? Lighten up.

Termite
13th August 2004, 01:45 PM
:D one of these would have got the correct message across. My apologies for not understanding :) , it looked a little smug to me.
feathers now settled
KIND regards
Termite

Wood Borer
13th August 2004, 01:49 PM
Although I whole heartedly agree with Bob and Silent I do not trust many companies after seeing the way they hide behind the twisted law.

I too would be reluctant to risk getting sued by one of these ratbag companies.

Hit the b*st*rds hard by not spending money with them if they repeatedly and intentionally stuff you around. Bad mouth them to their best customers but not in a way that can be proved in a court.

I admire Bob's and Silent's stand but not their risk analysis.

Boys - if you get sued by one of these scum I will make a donation towards your legal costs.

- Wood Borer

Bob Willson
13th August 2004, 01:55 PM
Boys - if you get sued by one of these scum I will make a donation towards your legal costs.
Can we have a $$ figure on that please Wood Borer?

silentC
13th August 2004, 01:55 PM
I don't plan on defaming any one in the near future, WB ;) I had a shot at the ATO recently but they're fair game I reckon.

To be honest, I haven't had what I'd call bad service from any of the WW related companies I've dealt with thus far. Even one incident which was a total stuff up on their part was handled promptly and to my satisfaction.

I had excellent service from some too. I wont name them though because the ones I leave out might sue ;)

A bit like that scene from The Simpons where Sideshow Bob is threatening to kill Bart. He drives past the Simpson's house with a megaphone: "The following people will not be killed by me: Homer Simpson, Marge Simpson, Lisa Simpson, little Maggie Simpson. That is all." :D

Termite
13th August 2004, 02:06 PM
:D :D :D TOTALLY WITHOUT NIEL'S OK.
OK! I would dearly love to name names, so here is the deal.
Those of you who would like me to do so can send Fighting Fund Donations (nothing less than $50,000) to Niel. When the FF reaches $5,000,000 I then name names. If Neil and I dont get sued you get your money back. If we do get sued you "blow the dough". With a bit of luck there should be enough left over, after the shys sorry lawyers and the litigant get paid off, for Neil and I to retire in comfort.
Bob, I've lightened up.
Kind regards
Termite

Wood Borer
13th August 2004, 02:24 PM
Can we have a $$ figure on that please Wood Borer?

Bob,

It would depend on my finances at the time, and the case.

For Termite's case and in my current financial position I feel strongly enough to put up $100 for him but that's a safe statement because he's not going to court.

I am one of those poor fools who place more value on my morals than on my bank balance. In other words I am out of touch with modern Australia but I am a happy fool who can sleep straight in bed.

I don't know any lawyers but I do have some good honest friends. (that will probably get me into court now!)

As you feel strongly about the subject, what would you do to assist a consumer being savaged by the lawyers acting for such a shonky company?

- Wood Borer

Bob Willson
13th August 2004, 02:36 PM
As you feel strongly about the subject, what would you do to assist a consumer being savaged by the lawyers acting for such a shonky company?

I'd match you dollar for dollar. :D

Bob Willson
13th August 2004, 02:38 PM
Bob, I've lightened up.

Obviously. Maybe just a little too light headed now are we? :D :D

Termite
13th August 2004, 02:47 PM
Obviously. Maybe just a little too light headed now are we?

Could be Bob. See my latest post "FRIDAY ARVO'
Kind regards
Termite