PDA

View Full Version : Skewing Around With Gouge

Texian
27th October 2009, 04:41 AM
Doing some spindle turning (rare for me) and experimenting with some slicing cuts with the wing of a swept back bowl gouge. At one point realized that I was making exactly the same cut as it would be with the dreaded skew. Found my skew after a brief search, blew the dust off and tried it. Yep, same cut. Smooth too. Some attention to presentation required, but with a bit of practice might actually learn to use the thing.

artme
27th October 2009, 08:05 AM
Doing some spindle turning (rare for me) and experimenting with some slicing cuts with the wing of a swept back bowl gouge. At one point realized that I was making exactly the same cut as it would be with the dreaded skew. Found my skew after a brief search, blew the dust off and tried it. Yep, same cut. Smooth too. Some attention to presentation required, but with a bit of practice might actually learn to use the thing.

Yep! What surprises we find when experimenting.

tea lady
27th October 2009, 09:04 AM
:D:2tsup: I reckon the bit of the tool that is doing the cutting is always shaped the same and presenting to the work the same. The surrounding bits looks different though, so you can get 'em out of the way.:D

rsser
27th October 2009, 09:45 AM
Why not?

A spindle gouge with fingernail grind and 25 degree bevel can do much of what a skew can; the key constraint is wing clearance when doing stacked beads and the like.