PDA

View Full Version : Mobile workbench

simon c
11th August 2004, 03:51 PM
I'm looking at making a couple of mobile workbenches and am trying to decide how best to make them mobile.

From a design point of view, one will be small (600mm x 600mm) and move quite a lot and the other will be larger (maybe 1800x900) and sit in the same place for long periods but this place will change. The benches will probably be made out of angle steel at this stage with an mdf top so faily simple design and lowish cost and the full wooden bench is a couple of years away (basically I'm in a Catch 22 - in order to build the good bench I need to have already built one...). I have a single car garage as a dedicated workshop so space is tight and mobile benches will fit the sort of work I do well.

I want to build the wheels myself (as much for the enjoyment as anything) but am wary of the cost of buying the parts (eg decent castors are maybe $25 each which is $100 to start if I go four 4 wheels) compared to just buying some commercial product. I'm not afraid to spend the money, I just don't like paying to build something when I can get something just as good for a cheaper price.

I have reviewed a lot of the posts on the forum and have come up with the following options and I wouldn't mind some advice on what people think and if there'e anything else out there.

Options:

1. Two wheels at one end and feet at the other with handles, it is moved like a wheelbarrow. Pros: cheap (only two simple wheels), easy to construct, fairly sturdy (with the two solid legs). Cons: Might not be sturdy enough for the big bench, doesn't have the same ease of positioning for the small bench. I suppose I could offset the two wheels so they only come into play when the bench is at a angle.

2. Four wheels, at least two lockable. Pros: easy to construct, easy to position Cons: more expensive (perhaps 4 locking wheels), not very sturdy.

3. Raisable wheels, bench normally sits on legs. Pros: sturdy, easy to position, easy to operate Cons: tricky to construct (I have no idea how to do it), may be pricy (4 wheels, but not necessarily fancy ones but the mechanism could be expensive)

4. Lowerable feet - maybe something like feet you get on the bottom of kitchen units etc. Pros: sturdy (and can be adjusted for uneven floors - this is a big advantage to me in my garage), easy to position, relatively simple to construct, not a bad price Cons: There's no way I'm going to get on my hand and knees with a spanner and raise the feet every time I want to move the bench.

What I'm thinking of is the lockable wheels for the small bench (which has the downside of tripling the construction cost of the small bench) and the lowerable feet option for the big bench (but will I ever use the feet?)

Thanks for any input you can give.

Simon

derekcohen
11th August 2004, 04:51 PM
Simon

The question is "what do you plan to use the bench for?"

The problem is that a bench on wheels will not be solid or rigid enough for many tasks. You cannot hand plane on one, for example. A movable bench is very useful for assembly or used in association with a table saw or router table. But I would not make one with wheels.

You would be better off with one that uses two wheels (like a wheel barrow) and where these two wheels can be lifted out of the way so that all four legs are firmly on the floor. The problem still may be a lack of rigidity, unless you make it very heavy, and of course you then lose mobility.

But fear not - there is another solution. My choice would be to make a table that folds up against the rear (or side) wall, with drop-down legs. If the top is bolted to the wall, it will not rack and you will have a very solid feeling table. I built one like this to be an assembly table. It partners my work bench at the rear of my garage. It folds up against the wall so that I can fit my tablesaw in front of it. It is so solid that I can hammer on it, plane on it, hand saw on it - nothing moves. It is built from pine and MDF. A bit like a "card table", the legs fold inwards. Folded it is about 6" deep from the wall.

I have attached a picture below so that you can see what I mean.

Regards from Perth

Derek

simon c
11th August 2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks for the reply Derek, the main reason for a mobile workbench is taht I have a very narrow workshop and I want the flexibility of being able to re-arrange it to best suit the task at hand.

I had originally considered a drop down bench, but didn't think it would give me the flexibility I needed as it only gives space rather than positioning flexibility but as I'm going for a few benches I may add one to the mix - I like the thought of having lots of options and being able to change the layout easily.

Of course I could always build a bigger workshop

Simon

Barry_White
11th August 2004, 05:56 PM
Simon

How about something like this. If you like it I will send you the details. Send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send it to you.

You could size it to suit your requirements.

tyrone
11th August 2004, 06:19 PM
I Built my mobile bench from some recycled brownbuilt from work. Very stury as it is heavy. The wheels are on a hinged block so they can be fliped out of the way, (I need to use a car jack to lift the bench up to do this)

simon c
11th August 2004, 07:09 PM
Bazza, thanks for that - looks just what I'm after. PM is on the way.

Simon