PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum retaining wall

mjbat7
28th October 2009, 02:18 AM
Hello Everyone!
I want to build a 1 meter high wooden retaining wall, but I was hoping to avoid using treated pine sleepers, because I'm concerned about the chemicals it might leech into the soil. I've seen some red gum sleepers going for about the same price as treated pine, and they're advertised as being alright for retaining walls.

So what does everyone think? Is red gum better or worse in terms of rotting, etc? Is it strange that it's so cheap (around $10 per sleeper, 200x50x2400)?

Calm
28th October 2009, 07:53 AM
Not surprised at that price at all - in fact i thought second-hand might be cheaper.

They are in the process of (last 6 months) replacing every wooden railway sleeper between Wodonga and Melbourne (over 250km) so there is a lot of sleepers out there to come on the market. (or in my trailer)

As for lasting - as fence posts they last very well - in fact better than treated pine IMHO.

Cheers

mjbat7
28th October 2009, 09:52 AM
Awesome, thanks for the tip. How would I go about getting hold of some of the railway sleepers?

mrkennedy
12th January 2010, 06:34 PM
Hello.
The idea of being able to source red gum or iron bark used railway sleepers is of interest to me. Where can a supply for $10 be found.

Thanks
Matthew