PDA

View Full Version : Exoticblanks group buy

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 09:17 AM
Well you asked for it, you got it.

Dawn & Ed over at http://exoticblanks.com (http://exoticblanks.com/) have a great selection of stuff we can't get in Australia, and with the Aussie dolalr being so high, now is the perfect time to stock up.

So anyone who is interesting in possibly making some group savings, post your christmas wish list here, and I'll haggle with Dawn for a while and see what she can do for us :p

As usual, shipping will be the deciding factor, and is unknown till we collate all the info and get a quote, but I'm finding after all fees charges etc are taken into account, with the dollar sitting around 90c exchange rate (remember paypal etc like to exchange a few points lower than the published rate), you're usually looking at a price into Australia of about 20% more than the stated US$ price. Add $6 for a 500g satchel or $10 for a 3kg satchel in Australia to get your final price.

No particular rush on this one while I finish up the bin buy, so have a browse around over the next couple of days and let me know what you fancy.

Russell.

Rum Pig
28th October 2009, 10:47 AM
Thank you for the effort you are going to:2tsup::2tsup:
I do not own a credit card so buying overseas has just been a pipe dream for me so I truly thank you:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

tea lady
28th October 2009, 12:01 PM
Their stuff look pretty amazing, but I can't seem tp get into their web site any further that the home page. If I click on something it half comes up then zips back to th3e home page. :doh: Anyone else having trouble. :C (Were they the guys with the circuit board blanks? )

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 01:13 PM
Their stuff look pretty amazing, but I can't seem tp get into their web site any further that the home page. If I click on something it half comes up then zips back to th3e home page. :doh: Anyone else having trouble. :C (Were they the guys with the circuit board blanks? )

I'm not having any problems with the site. I can't find any of the circuit board pens with a quick look. There are several suppliers of those, but you can get the locally from Brett at Addictivepenkits, save looking OS for them.

Russell.

tea lady
28th October 2009, 01:41 PM
I'm not having any problems with the site. I can't find any of the circuit board pens with a quick look. There are several suppliers of those, but you can get the locally from Brett at Addictivepenkits, save looking OS for them.

Russell. OK! Ta. :cool: Will have another go. :)

No! Still won't go anywhere. DO you have to log in or register or something? :worried:

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 01:50 PM
I don't think so, but I may have a cookie set. Are you going to the right site?

http://www.exoticblanks.com (http://www.exoticblanks.com/)

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 01:53 PM
Oh, also, for those who do want to buy stuff, you don't necessarily have to buy a whole pack of an item if that's the way it's sold.

For example, dip pens are sold in 5 packs. If someone wants 3 dip pens, and someone else wants 3, and someone else wants 1, that's fine. We can just order two bags and I'll most probably take up the 3 extras, and then split & separate the packs when they get out here.

Of course if you want 1 of something in a 5 pack, and no one else wants any, you'll either have to take the whole pack, or go without.

Russell.

NewLondon88
28th October 2009, 02:05 PM
great people to deal with. I buy blanks there often.
As an added bonus, you can even go to eroticblanks.com and still get there :p

They seem to stock several items from other vendors on IAP .. so you can save some
money on shipping. Sort of a " One Stop Shopping" thing.

ALSO .. check out their "Private Reserve" ink cartridges. Much better than the Parker
refills. That refill alone can sell a pen. I believe they're Schmidts but without the name.
I tried them and then replaced all the refills in my cigars.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 02:22 PM
As an added bonus, you can even go to eroticblanks.com and still get there :p

You might be able to go there, but once you've gone down that road, you can never come back..........

ALSO .. check out their "Private Reserve" ink cartridges. Much better than the Parker refills.'

Yes, despite the fact I'm selling Noodlers bottled Inks myself :wtcslap: I am going to get some PR catridges, as the "unwashed masses" still fail to see the economy and flexibility of bottled inks over catridges. I wanted to resell the PR cartridges here to compliment the Noodlers stuff, but minimum order quantities gave me heartburn when I originally enquired. So this is a perfect chance to try some. If people only want 1 or 2 to try, I'm open to doing the pack purchases and then sending on just a couple cartridges.

I better put an extension on the dog house though, cause I may end up living in it for a while :)

Russell.

Ozkaban
28th October 2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for organising this Russell, though my bank account is suffering :rolleyes:. I'll have a browse and see how much my whish list comes up to...

I do not own a credit card...
I think what you meant to say, RumPig, is that a credit card does not own you. This is a good thing, I think :2tsup:

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
28th October 2009, 03:18 PM
OK! Ta. :cool: Will have another go. :)

No! Still won't go anywhere. DO you have to log in or register or something? :worried:

I don't think so, but I may have a cookie set. Are you going to the right site?

http://www.exoticblanks.com (http://www.exoticblanks.com/)

Russell.

Maybe TL is trying www.exotic:censored2:.com ???

tea lady
28th October 2009, 03:44 PM
:C I went via your link. I can see the home page, and it starts to load the catalogue page, then goes back to home again. :- Prolly just as well. I'm broke enough as it is. :doh:

Ozkaban
28th October 2009, 04:11 PM
Hi TL,

Which browser are you using? If you have more than on on your 'puter, try the other one :U

The other thing it could be is some sort of wierd cookies issue. Are you blocking them?

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
28th October 2009, 04:26 PM
Nearly every thing I think I could have some of that is out of stock:doh:

Must look harder:U

tea lady
28th October 2009, 04:51 PM
Hi TL,

Which browser are you using? If you have more than on on your 'puter, try the other one :U Firefox. Don't think there is anything else on here I can use.

The other thing it could be is some sort of wierd cookies issue. Are you blocking them?

Cheers,
DaveProlly am :doh: But it usually tells me it blocked some if it does. :hmm:.

Ozkaban
28th October 2009, 05:01 PM
Prolly am :doh: But it usually tells me it blocked some if it does. :hmm:.

:shrug: dunno. Maybe try a differenct browser, like firefox (http://www.getfirefox.com) if you aren't already, or if you are, try IE. Sometimes things just go wrong on some sites. :no:

I_wanna_Shed
28th October 2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks Russell! There are some beaut purple blanks on there so getting the stamp of approval from SWMBO should be easy!

When the info says that they will fit a Sierra... is a Sierra a Sierra a Sierra? I use Berea Sierra kits, are they the same dimensions and use the same bushings as everyone else's Sierra?

Thanks Russell, and anyone else who can answer.

Nathan.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 08:51 PM
When the info says that they will fit a Sierra... is a Sierra a Sierra a Sierra? I use Berea Sierra kits, are they the same dimensions and use the same bushings as everyone else's Sierra?

Heh, I know what you mean, and I used to know the answer once, but, not so sure now. I think Dayacom & Berea are the same size, but the Elegant beauties are different between them. Don't ask me about the Sierra Vista, Elegant Sierra or any of the other 500 variations of a Sierra though.

I'm sure Dawn will be happy to answer any questions we have though.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 08:53 PM
Nearly every thing I think I could have some of that is out of stock:doh:

Must look harder:U

I wouldn't let that worry you too much just now. I hope this buy will be a little less frantic than my usual process, so there's time to look and just because it's listed as out of stock now, doesn't mean they won't be able to provide it by the time we're ready. I think we all need time for another pay packet to arrive as well :)

So just make your total wish list, and then we can prune it down closer to order date.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 09:46 PM
Well, since we're on the second page of this thread already, and no one has said anything concrete, it's obviously going to be a long, rambling discourse.

So I've decided, go for it, and when it comes to final order time, I'll start a new thread.

So post away any & all thoughts. For example, I'm keen on some of those completely unaffordable but unique blanks. I'd kill for the Andrea Doria blank, but I'm not sure a second mortgage is worth it.

More practically, I'm interested in some of the figured Ancient Kauri blanks. Probably 5 is about my limit though, so anyone want to go halves in a 10-pack?

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
28th October 2009, 09:58 PM
surely ancient kauri is available from over NZ way - they should be nice to us as we let them beat us in the rugger recently:D. Seriously, seems strange to me to import something from the US when it is originally on our doorstep. (but then SN2 chucks are $135 in the states at the moment and about $200 here, :doh:)

TL
what is happening. you seem to be hanging around the pen turning area a lot recently. I recall you suggesting we were all a tad strange :~:D:rolleyes: or is a christmas pressie thing

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 10:08 PM
surely ancient kauri is available from over NZ way - they should be nice to us as we let them beat us in the rugger recently:D. Seriously, seems strange to me to import something from the US when it is originally on our doorstep.

You'd think so, wouldn't you? Are you volunteering to find a supplier closer to home for us? :wink:

I've found several cases where the cheapest (delivered, in your hand average unit price) supplier is not necessarily the one you'd think, due to factors such as

1. Postage (which varies widely and wildly every place in the world)
2. Minimum order sizes (you want it cheap? Sure, you just have to order 5000 units)
3. Currency conversion (1 unit of Smurfland coinage = AUS$50,000)
4. Taxes (GST = 45% thanks)
5. Reseller markup and other random factors

Happy to get them elsewhere, after all the BOW was a great buy straight from Israel. I just haven't seen it elsewhere as yet.

Russell

Sawdust Maker
28th October 2009, 10:14 PM
I'm never going to save money at this rate :doh:
(just had a decent look at the blanks available arrrggggjhhh!)

scorpio_oz
28th October 2009, 10:17 PM
Is anyone considering their private reserve inks? either in the cartridges or bottles, or are we able to get them or equivalent or better quality inks here in Australia?

I'm interested in some of the dipping pens, and should probably consider some inks, but does anyone more knowledgeable than myself know how does the price and quality compare?

-Gavin

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 10:30 PM
Is anyone considering their private reserve inks? either in the cartridges or bottles, or are we able to get them or equivalent or better quality inks here in Australia?

I'm interested in some of the dipping pens, and should probably consider some inks, but does anyone more knowledgeable than myself know how does the price and quality compare?

-Gavin

Trying to be as objective here as I can. When I looked at adding inks to my web site sales, after much research, I decided Private Reserve and Noodlers were the best quality, variety and value available. The "pro" FP users can not agree on which is the best, with many sticking with traditional watermans, parker etc, but they are usually more expensive and only available in a small range of colours. Private Reserve has 31 colours, and Noodlers over 60.

In the end, Private Reserver don't have an Aus distributor, so you had to buy direct from the US, and they had a large minimum order size, so I passed for now. Noodlers have a local distributor, so I started stocking those. Problem is, Noodlers don't supply cartridges, only bottles. Noodlers have the most secure ink with their bulletproof line of inks as well. PR have some fast-dry inks. I'm not sure if there's a price premium for those, or if they affect your pen in any adverse way. Sailors is another brand the US guys like, but I have not seen much info about them.

Now, a 100ml bottle of Noodlers costs roughly $20. A 1ml (rough approximation) cartridge costs about 40c (low estimate, can be 20c for no name, up to $1 for brand name). So a bottle of ink will yield the same as 100 cartridges, but only costs 50x as much, so effectively bottles ink is half the price of cartridges. Plus, it's more environmentally friend as you're not using up all that plastic.

Having said that, new people to fountain pens prefer carts, for whatever reason, and so having them on hand is useful.

Hence, the end result, as I've said in another thread, is that I will be getting some of the packs of PR carts, as I can get some at a decent price from this, without having to meet the large order requirements from PR themselves. Happy to split packs I get and divvy them out to people on an individual basis, but I can't afford to get all 31 colours.

That the answer you wanted?

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
28th October 2009, 10:38 PM
Reagrding the Kauri blanks, if you can figure out this site Pen Blanks (http://www.thewoodturnersstudio.co.nz/pages/KauriSales.htm), it's a NZ source, but I'm having a hard time comparing apples & apples.

I think they have 12 blanks for about $32+pp, which would be a bit cheaper, but when you consider the hassle of a separate order, and averaging postage, I'm not sure how it ends up.

Russell.

scorpio_oz
28th October 2009, 10:41 PM
Thanks for that,

The bottle inks shown I'm figuring are 50ml bottles, and allowing conversion and freight, maybe around $10.00AUD a bottle so a similar price as noodlers.

Probably worth considering the cartridges and maybe a couple of bottles of different colours, depending on the price.

-Gavin

tea lady
28th October 2009, 10:46 PM
surely ancient kauri is available from over NZ way - they should be nice to us as we let them beat us in the rugger recently:D. Seriously, seems strange to me to import something from the US when it is originally on our doorstep. (but then SN2 chucks are $135 in the states at the moment and about $200 here, :doh:) They had ancient Kauri at the WWS last year and some people did get some. I scored a few off cuts from Rsssr. :cool: Haven't don't anything with 'em yet. :rolleyes: Didn't they have a whole lot left over? Where is it now? :?

TL
what is happening. you seem to be hanging around the pen turning area a lot recently. I recall you suggesting we were all a tad strange :~:D:rolleyes: or is a christmas pressie thing:D Well, I've got this weird project that involves making beads about 25mm diam, out of something or other to put a magnetic clasp in for knitted fishing line necklaces. Was thinking Alternate ivory, or Coral wood or cast backsia. :shrug: Getting closer to solving the design probs. The rest of my projects get in the way. And then there is real life. :doh: :D

BoomerangInfo
29th October 2009, 06:25 AM
Thanks for that,

The bottle inks shown I'm figuring are 50ml bottles, and allowing conversion and freight, maybe around $10.00AUD a bottle so a similar price as noodlers.

Probably worth considering the cartridges and maybe a couple of bottles of different colours, depending on the price.

-Gavin

Just be careful with bottles. The hidden gotcha is freight. They weigh a fair bit comparatively, so their freight cost can be disproportionate to other things. E.g. where you may fit 20 blanks, you may only fit 5 bottles (example only) so freight is 4x as much on the bottles, on average, than it is on blanks.

Does that make sense?

Russell.

schaf
29th October 2009, 06:54 AM
Russell,
Thanks for the group buy.
2 pack(10 kits) of calligraphy pen kits please.

Regards
Terry

Ozkaban
29th October 2009, 08:48 AM

-Gavin

I've been tempted to buy the Noodlers, but the price put me off. I have a couple of bottles of Parkers ink at home so I can't justify throwing out a few years supply for the sake of it.

My wish list does have a couple of packets of PR cartridges in different colours. I find them more convenient especially as I'm a wandering IT consultant so I rarely have a permanent desk anymore. The scope for a big bang in your laptop bag with 50ml of PR's finest wouldn't look too pretty!

I also like to give a couple of spare cartridges to people when I give them a FP - nice to have a bit of backup.

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
29th October 2009, 08:54 AM
My wish list does have a couple of packets of PR cartridges in different colours. I find them more convenient especially as I'm a wandering IT consultant so I rarely have a permanent desk anymore. The scope for a big bang in your laptop bag with 50ml of PR's finest wouldn't look too pretty!

I also like to give a couple of spare cartridges to people when I give them a FP - nice to have a bit of backup.

Cheers,
Dave

Yep, certainly no arguing catridges are convenient. The fast food of Inks :)

I'll do as bit of research on the "best" PR inks and post a list of 5 or so I'm willing (i.e. can slip past the finance auditor) to buy packs of. :p

Russell.

Ozkaban
29th October 2009, 09:08 AM
Yep, certainly no arguing catridges are convenient. The fast food of Inks :)

I'll do as bit of research on the "best" PR inks and post a list of 5 or so I'm willing (i.e. can slip past the finance auditor) to buy packs of. :p

Russell.

The colours I liked the look of so far were Velvet Black and Black Magic Blue. Was tempted by a red, but that's just plain indulgence :rolleyes:

their parker refils look good too (at $US2 ea for bulk) and the Schmidt refils at $US1.75 ea for more than 20 look like quite a bargain. Only works with the dollar so high, but they are a lot cheaper than I can find locally...

Cheers,
Dave

masoth
29th October 2009, 11:15 AM
. We can just order two bags and I'll most probably take up the 3 extras,
Russell.

Should this happen too much and you don't want all the extras I would like to share (say, one of each) - I don't want to order specifically.

Does this make sense?

soth

BoomerangInfo
29th October 2009, 12:06 PM
Should this happen too much and you don't want all the extras I would like to share (say, one of each) - I don't want to order specifically.

Does this make sense?

soth

Sure, that's fine as long as you realise it may mean there's none left to share, so you could miss out completely. Appreciate the offer though, as I can only carry so much extra cost.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
29th October 2009, 08:52 PM
Hey folks,

I've done some more research on PR inks. Now remember, everything I say seems to be the general consensus, but there are wildly varying reports of the inks performance, so your mileage may vary.

The general opinion of PR inks is that they have some of the best saturated colours of all inks, and are some of the smoothest flowing. However these qualities also mean that runs very easily, and can smudge once dry due to the amount of pigment left on the page.

Their fast dry inks on the other hand dry very fast, but because they are absorbed so quickly, can have a tendency to feather instead, giving fuzzy lines.

These results vary widely depending on which pen and nib you use, and the illuminated experts can decide which of their pens the inks are best suited for. Our standard every day customers though are likely not to know, and will judge the ink by how functional it is for them. I'm making an inference here, but given out cheaper nibs can be a little scratchy, and the PR inks flow well, together they may actually balance out and be good writers. The FP experts with their perfectly tuned pens do not need as free flowing inks, as their pens flow freely with any ink as it is, hence this can be a problem for better pens.

As I've said, everyone's experience varies, but there were enough agreements from different people to convince me this is generally true. Some of the PR inks have more flow & pigment than others, so being runny and/or smudgy will depend slightly on the ink colour.

To me this means I'll probably pick a nice black or two, and a blue, to give new buyer a better quality ink than the standard, and direct them back to the Noodlers bottles inks if they decide they want to experiment in multicolours. Darn those Noodlers for not having cartridges :(

If you are catering to the knowledgeable PR users, then I suggest you go read the ink reviews section of the Fountain Pen Network and see which colours people like best. Once again though, everyone has their own tastes.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
30th October 2009, 08:51 AM
Here's some more good news.

Dawn & Ed are going to cover the delivery cost to Australia, so there's a big win for us already. Means the only postage you'll be paying is the local delivery cost within Australia.

Anyone who missed out on the nib buy can get a couple from Exotic as well, as they are going to honour the prices we got from Lou.

I'm eyeing off some of those Bog Oak blanks, and the Sandringham's ones as well. I can say I'm a pen maker to the Queen then :D

Russell.

Ozkaban
30th October 2009, 09:20 AM
Woohoo! That's very generous of them.

Do we have a timeframe for this order? I'm happy not to rush as I will probably be able to pick up a few more goodies if I let the finances recover a smidge first.

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
30th October 2009, 09:24 AM
Woohoo! That's very generous of them.

Do we have a timeframe for this order? I'm happy not to rush as I will probably be able to pick up a few more goodies if I let the finances recover a smidge first.

Cheers,
Dave

I'd like to give it a while but there's two issues

1. I'm impatient :D
2. The exchange rate
3. (ok so sue me) people's responses.

#1 I'll try and live with, #2 is the main concern and #3, if there's no activity from anyone for a few days, there's probably no use waiting for newcomers.

So, we'll give it over the weekend for everyone to express their interest, a couple days for people to sort out their orders and questions for Dawn, and then look to this time next week, placing the order.

How's that sound?

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
30th October 2009, 09:26 AM
Oh, also, if people interested do need a week or o to sort their funds, either we can delay a bit for that, or for 1 or 2 people I can carry the cost for a little while.

Russell.

tea lady
30th October 2009, 09:31 AM
:C I got IE going and got to look at the site a bit (some really interesting things there. :think:) then it quit on me.:doh: I think I should take it as a sign. Hopefully you'll have other group buys in the future, when I'm not so broke.:rolleyes::D

Ozkaban
30th October 2009, 09:31 AM
I'd like to give it a while but there's two issues

1. I'm impatient :D
2. The exchange rate
3. (ok so sue me) people's responses.

#1 I'll try and live with, #2 is the main concern and #3, if there's no activity from anyone for a few days, there's probably no use waiting for newcomers.

So, we'll give it over the weekend for everyone to express their interest, a couple days for people to sort out their orders and questions for Dawn, and then look to this time next week, placing the order.

How's that sound?

Russell.

Oh, also, if people interested do need a week or o to sort their funds, either we can delay a bit for that, or for 1 or 2 people I can carry the cost for a little while.

Russell.

No worries! Impulse buying, here we come :D:D:D

I'll have my order in by the end of the weekend. Work is truly nuts today so I don't think I'll be able to sort it out today.

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
30th October 2009, 09:57 AM
Here is my wish list I'm posting it on this thread first because you mob do a lot more overseas buying than me and hopefully will let me know if I am making a silly mistake:U
Figured Ancient Kauri 10pk
English Bog Oak
Irish Bog Oak
Buckeye Burl
Spalted Hackberry
Pine cone blanks by Jeff Powell

Please let me know what you think:):)

BoomerangInfo
30th October 2009, 09:58 AM
Here is my wish list I'm posting it on this thread first because you mob do a lot more overseas buying than me and hopefully will let me know if I am making a silly mistake:U
Figured Ancient Kauri 10pk
English Bog Oak
Irish Bog Oak
Buckeye Burl
Spalted Hackberry

Please let me know what you think:):)

Looks like a nice selection. A couple are marked out of stock, so I'l check with Dawn & see if/when they might have them all.

Russell.

Rum Pig
30th October 2009, 10:25 AM
Looks like a nice selection. A couple are marked out of stock, so I'l check with Dawn & see if/when they might have them all.

Russell.
I seen that 2 were out of stock but I was hoping he had more in by the time we submit this to him.

gawdelpus
30th October 2009, 03:14 PM
Exchange rate nearly back to $.92 in the dollar today hehe :D

BoomerangInfo
30th October 2009, 03:57 PM
Exchange rate nearly back to $.92 in the dollar today hehe :D

*grumble, mumble, grr, grr*

Actually I think Paypal take a 2.5% commission on currency exchange anyway, so that may have been the rate we got it at after all.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
30th October 2009, 07:09 PM

I just noticed these are individually numbered. if you want some specific ones, you'd better nominate the numbers so we can get them put aside before someone else takes them.

Russell.

Ozkaban
31st October 2009, 08:48 AM
Hi Russell,

Quick question for you. I'm interested in getting Schmidt and PR rollerball refills, and both have a qty discount if you go above 10 (or 20 for the schmidt). Do you know if this is per colour, or will apply to our order if enough other people buy them? I'd like to order some, but I don't think I'd need enough that I'd make the qty discount in each colour...

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
31st October 2009, 08:57 AM
Hi Russell

Quick question for you. I'm interested in getting Schmidt and PR rollerball refills, and both have a qty discount if you go above 10 (or 20 for the schmidt). Do you know if this is per colour, or will apply to our order if enough other people buy them? I'd like to order some, but I don't think I'd need enough that I'd make the qty discount in each colour...

Cheers,
Dave

Not sure Dave. I was certainly looking at the black & blue Easyflow 9000 Ballpoint refills, as I'm always after a good flowing parker refill replacement, and if these flow smooth but aren't as messy or use up as quickly as the gel refills, then they're worth it. So I'd be happy to split a set of 10 of each of these with you, if that's what you're after. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure 5 of each colour would be considered buying 10 for the bulk discount anyway.

I haven't looked at the Schmidt, as I think we have plenty of local suppliers for those which offer reasonable prices.

Anyone else interested in refills, whether 1 or 100?

Russell.

Ozkaban
31st October 2009, 09:03 AM
Not sure Dave. I was certainly looking at the black & blue Easyflow 9000 Ballpoint refills, as I'm always after a good flowing parker refill replacement, and if these flow smooth but aren't as messy or use up as quickly as the gel refills, then they're worth it. So I'd be happy to split a set of 10 of each of these with you, if that's what you're after. I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure 5 of each colour would be considered buying 10 for the bulk discount anyway.

I haven't looked at the Schmidt, as I think we have plenty of local suppliers for those which offer reasonable prices.

Anyone else interested in refills, whether 1 or 100?

Russell.

I'll happily grab 5 of each colour of the Easyflow 9000's.

I'll look into the Schmidt ones. $1.75US seemed reasonable, but I'll hunt around a bit more before blowing my budget on something so mundane!

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
31st October 2009, 09:05 AM
Just saw this at timberbits (http://timberbits.com/pen-kits/schmidt-rollerball-refill-888f-black-p-196.html). $1 for black and $2 for blue. Excellent news! More budget for other goodies!!!
(http://timberbits.com/pen-kits/schmidt-rollerball-refill-888f-black-p-196.html)

BoomerangInfo
31st October 2009, 09:12 AM
For those who are interested, here's the list of what I'm consider. Not necessarily getting, but considering

1. 10 Easyflow ballpoint refills - Blue & Black
2. Pack of PR Ink cartridges - Blue, Black & maybe red
3. Pack of piston converters
4. Pack of figured Ancient Kauri
5. Autism puzzle pen kit - Sierra
6. Delrin bushes - various kits
7. Acrylic pen stands - 3-5
8. 1 Dip kit pack
9. 1 pack of pen tags
10. 1 - 2 Irish Bog Oak blanks
11. 1 - 2 English Bog Oak Blanks
12. 1 - 2 Sandringham Mulberry blanks
13. 2 - 3 Corn Cob blanks
14. 1 - 2 Snakeskin blanks, if available

and I better stop looking now, before I just get 1 of everything!!!

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
31st October 2009, 09:13 AM
Just saw this at timberbits (http://timberbits.com/pen-kits/schmidt-rollerball-refill-888f-black-p-196.html). $1 for black and $2 for blue. Excellent news! More budget for other goodies!!!
(http://timberbits.com/pen-kits/schmidt-rollerball-refill-888f-black-p-196.html)

Yep, seems to be a hard to get both fine & medium in the one place though.

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
31st October 2009, 09:16 AM
I'll happily grab 5 of each colour of the Easyflow 9000's.

Cheers,
Dave

Answer from Dawn is that yes, any colours of the same type refill constitutes a bulk quantity. Being from Private Reserve, I think the Easy Flows should be nice to write with.

Russell.

I_wanna_Shed
31st October 2009, 10:16 AM
Putting my list together now. Like Russell, I'll have to stop soon!

Nathan.

NewLondon88
31st October 2009, 10:20 AM
Answer from Dawn is that yes, any colours of the same type refill constitutes a bulk quantity. Being from Private Reserve, I think the Easy Flows should be nice to write with.

You'll like them. I'm writing with one now. The only problem I've found has nothing to do
with the refills, rather the way I often use them. Writing through triple carbonless copies
I tend to really bear down .. and these refills are meant to flow easily. It just took me
a while to adjust to it. No fault of the refills, just my writing style. When writing on the
order forms, I just need to hold the pen a little more vertical.

They really do write nice and lay down the ink. No smudge. But I have no idea how
long they last, I've only had mine a few weeks. But I write with it all day..

BoomerangInfo
31st October 2009, 11:04 AM
You'll like them. I'm writing with one now.

Funny, I use my Keyboard to write on my computer...:p

I wouldn't use any good pen for writing on carbon copies. The scratchier the better. Heck, they might as well maek a blank front page with carbon back, and then we could use a screwdriver and wouldn't need any ink at all :)

Thanks for the review.

Russell.

Sawdust Maker
31st October 2009, 10:29 PM
I'll get a couple of blanks of some description
will post tomorrow - probably

NewLondon88
31st October 2009, 11:27 PM
Funny, I use my Keyboard to write on my computer...:p.

Doesn't work . .you still can't see through the White-Out :p

Ozkaban
1st November 2009, 05:33 PM
Okey Dokey. I've worked out my list...

FP Cartridges:
2 x Velvet Black
2 x Black Magic Blue

Easyflow 9000 Refils
5 x black
5 x blue

Schmidt 5888 Refils
5 x black

Delrin Sleeves
1 x Baron
1 x Sierra

1 x Pen Tags
2 x Figured Ancient Kauri Pen Blanks

The Total according to the site is $US83.25, so that will change with postage, exchange rate and any volume discounts that apply if others get any bits like the pen refills.

Russell, can you let me know how much I owe you when you work it out!

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
1st November 2009, 05:37 PM
Okey Dokey. I've worked out my list...

Russell, can you let me know how much I owe you when you work it out!

Cheers,
Dave

You mesn, IF I work it out :oo:. Gonna be kinda tricky this one to get it right. Payment in advance won't be possible, so I'll just let everyone know the day I'm placing the order.

Russell.

Ozkaban
1st November 2009, 06:32 PM
If you want, we can guess a rough price, based on retail + exchange rate. You mentioned postage to Aus is paid by Dawn (Thank you!), and I've already paid for local postage in the other group buy.

If there are any discounts, you can just refund the difference later. Is this OK, or will it be too big a pain in the butt for you? Easier to pay on CC and sort out the bill before it comes due? Whatever works for you, but I don't want to put a strain on you if I can avoid it.

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
1st November 2009, 06:51 PM
If you want, we can guess a rough price, based on retail + exchange rate. You mentioned postage to Aus is paid by Dawn (Thank you!), and I've already paid for local postage in the other group buy.

If there are any discounts, you can just refund the difference later. Is this OK, or will it be too big a pain in the butt for you? Easier to pay on CC and sort out the bill before it comes due? Whatever works for you, but I don't want to put a strain on you if I can avoid it.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks, but I'll work out something I can manage. Trying to do payments back again is too much hassle. as long as it's only a couple days between order and payent, I can carry the initial cost.

Russell.

I_wanna_Shed
1st November 2009, 07:56 PM
Hi Russell,

Here is my order. I've attached an Excel file with a printout of the cart contents, if that makes it any easier for you (Exotic Blanks part #'s are listed).

Like Dave says, if you want any money prior, let me know.

Also, let me know if there's any probs with my order (too much, etc...).

Thanks mate! Another great group buy! :2tsup:

Nathan.

BoomerangInfo
1st November 2009, 07:59 PM
Hi Russell,

Here is my order. I've attached an Excel file with a printout of the cart contents, if that makes it any easier for you (Exotic Blanks part #'s are listed).

Thanks Nathan,

The spreadsheet is a big help, makes it much easier.

Russell.

Ozkaban
1st November 2009, 08:21 PM
Thanks Nathan,

The spreadsheet is a big help, makes it much easier.

Russell.
:doh: I made a spreadsheet (on my other pc...). Will format it like Nathan's to keep it consistent for you and upload.

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
1st November 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Russell,

Recreated the cart, added SKU's.

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
1st November 2009, 09:35 PM
my wish list

not sure it is in the same format, sorry

BoomerangInfo
2nd November 2009, 10:41 AM
Right,

I've looked at the total price of my list, and it's too much :(

Anyone want to go halves in their pen tag pack with me? Can't see myself using up even 50 any time soon.

And what about the calligraphy dip kits. I'd like to try 3, so there's 2 available individually if anyone wants.

Biggest luxury for me that I might have to leave out is the Autism pen kit. Has significance for me as my son has ASD, but it's in effect a $30 Sierra blank for personal use.:(

Russell.

Ozkaban
2nd November 2009, 10:48 AM
I'll take the two calligraphy nibs. My wife already has a calligraphy set, but this one will look a lot nicer :rolleyes:

I thought the same for the pen tags - I'd never finish them! But they're $4 and they ain't going anywhere so I'll still with a full pack :D

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
2nd November 2009, 03:26 PM
Right,

I've looked at the total price of my list, and it's too much :(

Anyone want to go halves in their pen tag pack with me? Can't see myself using up even 50 any time soon.

And what about the calligraphy dip kits. I'd like to try 3, so there's 2 available individually if anyone wants.

Biggest luxury for me that I might have to leave out is the Autism pen kit. Has significance for me as my son has ASD, but it's in effect a $30 Sierra blank for personal use.:(

Russell.
I will go halves with you re the pen tags I will post my list on the other forum.

BoomerangInfo
2nd November 2009, 04:40 PM
I will go halves with you re the pen tags I will post my list on the other forum.

Thanks Mate,

I see you want Splatted Hackberry. Does that mean it has to be run over by a truck? :P

Russell.

BoomerangInfo
2nd November 2009, 07:45 PM
OK folks,

I just realised I have to write a job application by Monday, so can we start wrapping up orders please? I think most of the people who've said something have pretty well posted their details already anyway, just need to start compiling them in the other thread to make sure I haven't missed anyone.

If you haven't posted already, please post over there. If we can have all orders over there by COB tomorrow, then I'll finalise details on Wednesday (if I get my finger out, that is :D)

Thanks. Russell.

BoomerangInfo
2nd November 2009, 08:16 PM
Oh, one other thing. If there is anyone who doesn't want their order details posted in the other thread, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks. Russell.

BoomerangInfo
2nd November 2009, 09:50 PM
For those interested, this is the preliminary list of items. This will be over the $1000 import restriction, so we may have to try for multiple packages. Excuse the formatting, excel doesn't convert to forum compatible code easily.

Russell.

Name Qty
Acrylic Pen stands 4
Alchemy Polyresin 1
Ancient Mars Polyresin 2
"Autism Puzzle Pen Kit, Sierra." 3
Bengal Tiger Blank 1
Bloody Basin Red Jasper truestone 1
Buckeye burl x5 (if in stock) 5
"Bushings, Delrin Sierra Vista" 1
Calligraphy Dip Kits 4
Cav's Uni Pink Polyresin 2
Charoite 1
Copper Wild Cat 1
Corn Cob blanks - Green 1
Delrin Baron Sleeves 1
Delrin Sierra Sleeve 1
Easy Flow 9000 BP Refills/B Black 13
Easy Flow 9000 BP Refills/B Blue 13
English bog Oak 4
extra tubes for Jr II 5
Figured Ancient Kauri Blank (10 pack) 2
Golden Dawn Polyresin 1
Imperial Jade truestone 1
Irish bog Oak x2 2
"Jr Gent II Fountain Pen, postable end, Black Ti" 8
"Jr Gent II Roller Ball, postable end, Black Ti" 6
Large tubes 20
Merlin's Magic Polyresin 1
New Metallic Bronze 1
New Metallic Silver 1
Ocelot Blank 1
"Pen Tags, 100/pk" 4
Pine cones by Jeff Powell # 3 # 9 # 16 ( if available will take other blanks if not) 3
Pink Paws Wild Cat 1
Pink Pearl Polyresin 1
PR Ink Bottles - Arabian Rose 1
PR Ink Bottles - Black Magic Blue 1
PR Ink Bottles - Velvet Black 1
PR Ink Cartridges (packs) - Ultra Black Fast Dry 2
PR Ink Cartridges (packs) - Electric DC Blue 1
PR Ink Cartridges (packs) - DC Supershow Blue 1
Pr Ink Cartridges (packs) - Black Magic Blue 2
PR Ink Cartridges (packs) - Velvet Black 4
Purple Mist Polyresin 2
Sandringham Mulberry 1
Schmidt 5888 RB Refills - Black 5
Silver Wild Cat 1
Slimline Clip - Candy Cane 5
Slimline clip - Christmas Tree 5
Slimline clip - Santa Face 5
"Slimline Clip, Snowman" 3
"Slimline Clip, Waving Santa" 3
Small tubes 40
Snow Leopard Blank 1
Spalted Hack Berry x5 (if in stock) 5

BoomerangInfo
3rd November 2009, 07:07 AM
Well the word from Dawn is that apart from maybe the Buckeye Burl and the Splatted (:D) Hackberry, everything else people have listed should be available. The BEB & SP Hackberry may be available by the time our order is ready though.

So, I reckon it's time to start wrapping up. Let's move finalisation questions over to the new thread. I think I have everyone's orders documented, please check I've listed your name in the other thread.

Thanks. Russell.

Ozkaban
3rd November 2009, 08:56 AM
Hi Russell,

An impressive list :2tsup:

If you want to split the packages, I'm happy to receive one and act as dirstibutor, especially for any Sydney or further south people.

Cheers,
Dave

BoomerangInfo
3rd November 2009, 09:07 AM
Hi Russell,

An impressive list :2tsup:

If you want to split the packages, I'm happy to receive one and act as dirstibutor, especially for any Sydney or further south people.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanks Dave,

But I doubt that would work. I'm not going to ask Ed & Dawn to package individually as per people's orders, but just send whatever can be packaged efficiently. So if I ended up with half of someone's order, and you ended up with the other half, it sort of doesn't work :)

Russell.

Ozkaban
3rd November 2009, 09:10 AM
Thanks Dave,

But I doubt that would work. I'm not going to ask Ed & Dawn to package individually as per people's orders, but just send whatever can be packaged efficiently. So if I ended up with half of someone's order, and you ended up with the other half, it sort of doesn't work :)

Russell.

Fair enough. I did this for the Thompson tools group buy and it worked OK, though there were only about 30 individual items across both packages... You're right, this one would be much trickier!

Cheers,
Dave

Rum Pig
3rd November 2009, 09:24 AM
Right,

Russell.

I had a thought last night if everyone who has placed an order puts an extra $4 to say thank you to Russell for taking the time to do this bulk order. Russell would then have no excuse not to buy that Autism pen kit.
What do you mob think?

Thanks Dave,

Russell.
Do you have a neighbour that will receive a second parcel for you?

Ozkaban
3rd November 2009, 09:28 AM
I had a thought last night if everyone who has placed an order puts an extra $4 to say thank you to Russell for taking the time to do this bulk order. Russell would then have no excuse not to buy that Autism pen kit.
What do you mob think?

I'm in on that. ASD is a worthy cause...

I_wanna_Shed
3rd November 2009, 08:37 PM
I'm in on that. ASD is a worthy cause...

I'll gladly be in.

Sawdust Maker
4th November 2009, 12:27 PM
me too (as I also have a young 'un who is on the spectrum)

I've got to be careful as he likes to purloin my blanks

BoomerangInfo
4th November 2009, 01:04 PM
me too (as I also have a young 'un who is on the spectrum)

I've got to be careful as he likes to purloin my blanks

Haha,

I'm more likely to find my good drill bits have been turned into a hidden spike trap in the dirt pile in the middle of the yard.

Russell.

Rum Pig
4th November 2009, 01:22 PM
My son 2 1/2 uses them for clap stick and to give to the dog to chew and......... well anything that he thinks would be fun:)
I have to hide all my good blanks