PDA

View Full Version : Do You Hate Sanding?

Ed Reiss
30th October 2009, 02:44 AM
If your like me, sanding is not one of your favorite pastimes...especially the inside of a hollow form, and even worse when the access hole is on the small side :~

Well, I came across a solution for sanding the inside.:D

Last evening when I was "surfing" the web, I came across a sanding product called a "mini-mop ( :: Stockroom Supply - Mini Mops (http://www.stockroomsupply.com/The_Mini_Mop.php) ) which is sized for use in a Dremel tool.

Hmmmmm...way too small for a normal size hollow turning (unless your making flea houses, of course), so I made a reasonable facsimile of the "mini-mop" to try out on my current turning project.

First I had to find a suitable size mandrel to hold the sanding strips and long enough to get into the bottom of a 150mm turning...so after searching my tools, I found just the right thing, the handle from an X-acto knife. The blade holding portion, which is not needed, unscrews completely, so after locating a screw with the matching thread pattern, we were in business!

So, here's whats needed for the shopmade mini-mop:

1) A suitable mandrel
2) A screw to secure the sandpaper strips
3) Two flat washers
4) One lock washer
5) Strips of cloth backed sandpaper.
( I cut 6 strips of 150 grit, 12mm x 120mm for the test on a piece of CL with an inner diameter of app. 80mm )

OK, after cutting the strips, stack and secure them with a spring clamp at either end, mark the center of the strips with your Sharpie, then drill a hole (slightly larger than the diameter of the screw) clear through all the strips.

Place the strips in a fan pattern on the screw so that the sandpaper side will face the mandrel. Secure the screw to the mandrel, chuck the mandrel into the drill...your all done.

Since the strips are very flexible, there was no problem getting them through the small opening. OK...now the moment of truth. After about a minute of power sanding the area around the top in to about 60mm deep, I stopped the lathe and powered off the drill, then checked on how good or bad it worked. It was excellent...completely removed the ridges left by the tool bit:2tsup::D:D:D:D:D

Proceeded to do the rest of the inside and got the same result :2tsup: so now am going to cut more strips down to 600 grit to finish off the inside.

It just made sanding interiors much less work.

Texian
30th October 2009, 02:50 AM
That's very cool Ed! Expect to see it on the market soon. Meanwhile think I'll start with 80 grit.

Ad de Crom
30th October 2009, 03:01 AM
Ed, you made an useful tool. Very simple to make, smart guy !!
Sanding the inside of hollow forms is always a problem, also for me.
Going make like hell such a tool. Thanks for posting this.
Ad :2tsup:

Ozkaban
30th October 2009, 11:30 AM
Awesome idea Ed!

We just need a marketing name for the maxi-mini-mop.. :think: Does that make it just plain "Mop"? :D

Cheers,
Dave

Ozkaban
30th October 2009, 11:33 AM
Just had a thoughts Ed, if you built up the sanding head with the screw, a washer, the sandpaper, another washer then add a thin nut, you would be able to make several sanding heads up all at once and make changing them over a lot faster than reassembling each time...

Though you are probably already doing this and I'm just being slow :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
30th October 2009, 11:56 AM
Dave, I know what you wrote but am not following what you mean (not unusual for me:doh:)

...can you clarify, please?

Ed Reiss
30th October 2009, 11:59 AM
Ed, you made an useful tool. Very simple to make, smart guy !!
Sanding the inside of hollow forms is always a problem, also for me.
Going make like hell such a tool. Thanks for posting this.
Ad :2tsup:

of course it was simple...my friends and SWMBO tell me all the time that I'm simple :roll:

Ozkaban
30th October 2009, 12:07 PM
Hi Ed,

I suck at explaining things :rolleyes:

I meant that if when you assmeble the sanding head (ie put sandpaper in the little screw), add a nut to it to hold it all together before you screw it into the handle. That way it is a self contained unit and you can have several of them in different grits that you can just unscrew from the handle and screw the next grit in.

I might try and do a diagram...

cheers,
Dave

Ed Reiss
30th October 2009, 12:28 PM
gotcha now Dave. Sure make as many as you like...it will save time. Good suggestion:2tsup:.

Allen Neighbors
30th October 2009, 03:12 PM
That's genius! Good show!

Ozkaban
30th October 2009, 03:15 PM
gotcha now Dave. Sure make as many as you like...it will save time. Good suggestion:2tsup:.

Excellent :2tsup: Glad I don't have to do the diagram. it was looking pretty bad - would have made matters worse :doh:

I reckon this wouldn't be a bad way os fanding on the outside too. Might have to play...

Cheers,
Dave

Sawdust Maker
30th October 2009, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a great idea - thanks :2tsup:
in fact have a greenie
will file it away with the other things that I must make :doh: