PDA

View Full Version : Paperbark

Sawdust Maker
30th October 2009, 04:22 PM
I've a feeling that one or two paperbark trees may be felled locally to make way for a development. More's the pity:((
Does anyone know if paperbark timber is any good for turning - does it look good etc
If any good I'll see if I can grab some
Thanks

Ozkaban
30th October 2009, 05:15 PM
Hi SM,

I think paperbarks are Melaleuca's. I chopped some up for firewood and it was a nice dense, dark reddy/brown heartwood with blonde sapwood. I think from memory that it splits like $#@!% while drying, but I could be wrong. The stuff I played with looks nice and seemed to turn OK (I can't even remember what I turned out of it...). Of couse there always seem to be 50 species all called the same thing and I am no tree expert!

Cheers,
Dave

david devine
30th October 2009, 06:01 PM
paperbark can be very nice timber has colouring not unlike jarrah but needs to be stacked for drying properly with some weight on the top peice and the ends sealed completely,because it does like to split and cup.

good luck
another Dave

Brisruss
30th October 2009, 07:30 PM
I have been turning some paperbark and it is really good. It has a good dense grain and has a nice colour and pattern. They are all unfinished except for one that has bees wax on it.
I don't think the photos do it full justice.
It came from a tree in our front yard and the guy who cut it down slabbed it for me. These are some of the odd bits that were left over.

Cheers,
Russ

dai sensei
30th October 2009, 07:38 PM
Most hardwoods are worth keeping. There are many paperbark species with many colours. The ones in the Melaleuca swamps around here are a creamy yellow/brown.

rsser
30th October 2009, 09:02 PM
Had a few bits. Damn hard to dry; if you plan to rough out a bowl be careful to centre it in relation to the pith and anticipate it going very oval.

Texian
31st October 2009, 11:11 AM
Grab some and try it, regardless of what anyone says. I rarely pass up an opportunity to turn a new (to me) wood. The results are not always good, but always educational.

rsser
31st October 2009, 11:30 AM
Yes, a big drawcard in turning for me is discovering timber species.

That said, if you're not short of blanks, the cost-benefit ratio in processing a doubtful lump is all wrong. From retrieving, transporting and blocking down bowl blanks into octagons and sealing them, each piece costs me about half an hour. Then there's shed real estate tied up and regular checking.

As it happens, some species of Melalueca did the most spectacular warp I've seen in a rough-out, to the point of being unusable, but I keep it to show others.

Sawdust Maker
6th November 2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks all
My practice is that I'll grab whatever I can and ask questions later :D
these trees are marked - but I think for preservation, which is also a good thing.
I wonder whether they could remove that 2 foot section in the middle with the gnarly bit and leave the rest of the tree :D:D

Ad de Crom
7th November 2009, 02:39 AM
I would say, grab it, anyway good for a new experience.
Ad

artme
7th November 2009, 04:54 AM
Itīs Ok to turn. Problems occur before that.

Brother has a paperbark bar top. I have made pens from the offcuts. Nice!!