PDA

View Full Version : Woodturning/ work NE Vict

GC
30th October 2009, 09:06 PM
Hi All,

I am on a family holiday over the next few days in the Wangaratta / Albury area.
Just wondering if anyone knew of any good places to visit to look at woodturning and wood work or to pick up some blanks etc?

Sounds better than going to the Ned Kelly Museum & Ettamogga pub all day!

GC

rsser
31st October 2009, 11:35 AM
GC, try a PM to Jefferson on this forum. He's in Kiewa near Albury and can prob tell you what's to see, though I think ATM he's in Qld.

Also check out the VWA website for clubs in the area.

Let us know what you discover.

Sounds like a woodies tourism guide would find a market. I'm trying to discover if any turners work in Sapporo and Niseko in Japan which I'll be visiting next year. Not reading Japanese doesn't help :(

Big Shed
31st October 2009, 12:45 PM
Sounds like a woodies tourism guide would find a market. I'm trying to discover if any turners work in Sapporo and Niseko in Japan which I'll be visiting next year. Not reading Japanese doesn't help :(

Ern, there are a couple of guys on the IAP penturning forum (one Canadian, 1 American I think) who actually live in Japan.

Chriselle, the Canadian guy used to run a pen shop on the side.

Might be worth a post on IAP to ask the question.

Wasn't there also an American on the forum that lives in Japan? Remember his posts on his workshop and wood collecting, but can't for the life of me remember his user name, maybe someone not suffering from CRAFT disease can help out here?

Edit:

Found him

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f101/tokyo-stus-dungeon-tour-40927/

rsser
31st October 2009, 01:06 PM
Thanks Fred.

Stu .. of course! :doh:

GC
3rd November 2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks Ern,

Been and gone, did a bit of wood stuff.
Probably best thing was a visit to the info centre at Wodonga, they have a wood display/ store etc run by the wodonga wood turners assoc. Nice products and staffed by a nice guy. Great information!

Also the same club display at the Albury show, well worth a look.

GC

Sawdust Maker
3rd November 2009, 08:54 PM
Ern
Be careful, Stu is Canadian!
He's a nice chap - He doesn't hang around here much now but can be contacted by his email address

if you need some help with the japanese text let me know. SIL is Japanese

rsser
6th November 2009, 07:38 PM
Woops.

That's like calling a New Zealander an Aussie.

Thanks for the offer Nick.

I've since learned that a fairly common Japanese Dept store sells trad Jap. tools. Sigh. 20kg luggage allowance inc skis and boots will cramp the collecting impulse.

nalmo
7th November 2009, 09:01 PM
You could always ditch the skis & boots in Japan and load up with tools. Alternatively, tape the tools to the skis (not sure if sporting goods are included in your weight allowance).

nalmo
7th November 2009, 09:07 PM
Qantas includes weight of sporting equipment to Asia, but no of pieces if travelling to US (2 pieces allowed).

rsser
7th November 2009, 09:55 PM
Nalmo, if I could I would: wear the ski boots on the plane; wear the ski helmet ditto; wear all the warm gear on the plane (it gets down to -15 to -25 exc wind chill in N Japan). But my skis and bindings are a bit on the exotic side and they'll have to come home.

Yes, Q luggage allowance has no provision for an extra sport bag allowance over the 20 or so kg. With Air NZ going over to the Sth Island you get an additional 10kg in the sport bag. Sigh.