PDA

View Full Version : Saw for cutting tenons

Superbunny
30th October 2009, 09:35 PM
Hi
This is my first interest in Japanes hand tools and over the years I've been hearing more and more about them. I'm now ready to experiment with a Japanese saw. Any recommendations for a Japanese saw that would suit cutting hardwood tenons please and I'll give it ago. You never know I might be a convert to Japanese hand tools.:D:D

SB

Claw Hama
31st October 2009, 07:38 AM
Hi SB
I use Japanese saws quite a bit but I would and have just finished cutting some with a good old tenon saw. I like them if the timber is not too hard, Tassie Blackwood, Tassie Oak, greenish hardwoods Blackbutt etc but if it is dry hardwood I think you realy need a push saw so you can put some weight into it. I have two Japanese saws one is a handmade double edge and the other is the replacable blade type from Bummings both work very well and have many uses.

Des.K.
31st October 2009, 03:51 PM
SB

For tenons and all other fine work I use Nakaya saws bought in Japan. Carbatec seem to have a similar one to the cross-cut Nakaya that I use. The Carbatec website has it listed as the Nakaya "Dozuki 210mm Fine Precision Saw (http://www.carbatec.com.au/dozuki-210mm-fine-precision-saw_c5800)". Specifications are slightly different from mine, but I think it would be comparable. An excellent saw. I use mine on both hardwood and softwood, and they cut well in both. The key, especially with hardwood, is to let the saw do the cutting - if you try to force the cut, the thin hard Japanese blade could lose a few teeth, or even chip or snap.

Des

rrobor
31st October 2009, 08:25 PM
Must admit I love the pull saw, as said lit it cut at its own pace. I had to get a new blade because I was cutting the architraves of a door for laying a new floor and cut through a nail without knowing it. For delecate work you cant beat them. You can also get a guide for them which is a strong magnet on a mobile lockable arm where you can set an angle to cut dovetails etc.

Superbunny
31st October 2009, 09:56 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try the dozuki saw from carbatec. I always let the saw do the work and that's why I'm not happy with my tenon saw. When I was a boy they seemed to work better than they do now, and the tenon saw I've got at present was new but it just dosen't feel right.

SB

Pam
1st November 2009, 09:44 PM
I use a single edge rip Kaneharu from Hiraide, wonderful saw but not cheap. When I started with Japanese hand tools I used the Professional Dozuki from Lee Valley, which even though it's crosscut, has worked great for tenons and dovetails and is very inexpensive. LV also has a Japanese rip tooth dozuki that Rob Lee tells me is absolutely great. I'd buy that one if purchasing a new one today. It's true that a dozuki limits your depth of cut somewhat.

It may be that your technique has changed/disappeared with the years, thus making your new saw feel inadequate; so why not work a bit on letting the saw do the work, making your shoulder the fulcrum point, and keeping your forearm steady to your elbow, all while keeping a very light grip.

Pam

Dozuki - Lee Valley Tools - Woodworking Tools, Gardening Tools, Hardware Supplies (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=42898&cat=1,42884)

ronbrunton
2nd November 2009, 09:12 PM
rrobor, I am interested in your comment about a magnetic guide on a lockable arm for pull saws. What are they called and where can you get them?

Thanks
Ron

rrobor
17th November 2009, 12:45 AM
Sorry I dont know. I saw them at the wood show 3 years ago when I bought my first pull saw. I made one for a special job I had. I got a magner out of a speaker and araldited it on to a piece of angle and that worked well. With google got Nobex Magnetic Saw Guide. #50502 (http://www.justtools.com.au/prod4815.htm). Now I believe the issue with them is not to let magnet and teeth come together. The one I saw was a lot smaller than the justtools one.

ronbrunton
17th November 2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for that. A few months ago I bought the 'Perfect' pull saw guide from Carbatec, but found that it doesn't live up to its name. It is not precise - at least on my one, the 45 degree mitres I cut were well off, and it is very awkward to use with thin workpieces. I will try the Nobex.

Superbunny
18th November 2009, 10:16 PM
Well I got a Dozuki at the Hands on show in Brisbane but before the buy I had the chance to test one or two differnt teeth. I was impressed and now I'm pleased.:D:D

SB