PDA

View Full Version : Dominoed wine rack pigeon hole WIP

Lignum
30th October 2009, 11:36 PM
A small WIP on how I use the Domino to quickly assemble pigeon holes for wine bottles on the side of a buffet.

Pic 1- Shows the layout of the bits and pieces used. (L to R)

Top - Divisions, clamps, Domino with wings and a 5mm cutter, added for spacing.

Bottom - Platform spacer, platform, division, cabinet side.

Pic 2- Shows the division clamped to the side and the Domino resting on top with the registration pin hard up againsed it. Then plunge.

Pic 3 - Shows the pin on the extension wings inserted into the previous mortise for quick accurate spacing.

Pic 4- Shows the platform (same spacing and 5mm Dominos glued in) inserted into the mortises with spacer clamped on, and the previous pic 2 and 3 repeated.

Pic 5- shows the process repeated to the top.

Pic6 - Shows the completed mortises perfectly spaced.

The rest will be posted tomorrow.:)

Shedhand
31st October 2009, 01:57 AM
A small WIP on how I use the Domino to quickly assemble pigeon holes for wine bottles on the side of a buffet.

Pic 1- Shows the layout of the bits and pieces used. (L to R)

Top - Divisions, clamps, Domino with wings and a 5mm cutter, added for spacing.

Bottom - Platform spacer, platform, division, cabinet side.

Pic 2- Shows the division clamped to the side and the Domino resting on top with the registration pin hard up againsed it. Then plunge.

Pic 3 - Shows the pin on the extension wings inserted into the previous mortise for quick accurate spacing.

Pic 4- Shows the platform (same spacing and 5mm Dominos glued in) inserted into the mortises with spacer clamped on, and the previous pic 2 and 3 repeated.

Pic 5- shows the process repeated to the top.

Pic6 - Shows the completed mortises perfectly spaced.

The rest will be posted tomorrow.:)Hmm..must get me an extension wing. How much are they? Neat technique mate.

Al B
31st October 2009, 07:19 AM
Thank you for sharing your technique Lignum, you make it look too easy with the Domino. :2tsup:

carpoid
31st October 2009, 08:18 AM
Good stuff, exactly how i've done it before too, but i lay the piece down flat on the bench and hold the Domino vertically. For your shelves did you hold them down flat, then work off the bottom of the Domino with that flat on the bench too?

Dominoes are good aren't they, i loved how you did your dovetail housings with one in another thread (sure it was you) :2tsup:

Also worth noting that if you've got shelves on the other side of your division that you want in the same positions, then you can plunge straight through the division, then the shelves will line up perfectly.:)

Lignum
31st October 2009, 08:47 AM
Good stuff, exactly how i've done it before too, but i lay the piece down flat on the bench and hold the Domino vertically. For your shelves did you hold them down flat, then work off the bottom of the Domino with that flat on the bench too?

Carp, the reason (for me) its in the upright position, is to make it easy to set the first division plunge and clamp the division on for the next lot. That cabinet side is loose and I will take it off and put the main side on and repeat the process. I will also post the pic of my simple method of getting the position of the angled inside shelf Dominoed in. And yep, the dovetail thing was mine:). A bit of fun to show the versatility. I have 2 new spline jigs just about finished and will post in a week or 2

Sheddie, they are around 80 bucks. Their doesn’t seem to be a lot of love around the world (on forums) for them, but I love mine and use them heaps. :2tsup:

Christos
31st October 2009, 02:39 PM
but I love mine and use them heaps.

Well that is a powerful word. I tend not to use that word unless I mean it. :q

Love your work in progress. :U

Lignum
31st October 2009, 11:01 PM
Pic 1- Shows the division Dominoed using the same spacing as the side. The 2nd and 3rd spacing are mortised using the 2nd Domino width setting.

Pic 2 - Shows a dry fit to make sure the bottle fits

Pic 3 - Shows some scrap cut to 95mm width to get the correct Domino spacing to hold the bottle in the centre and the middle back one is to stop the bottle sliding back into the cabinet.

Pic 4 - Shows the division being Dominoed. The top was using the fence and the bottom using a spacer.

Pic 5 - Shows a spacer (left) to accurately place the middle back Domino.

Pic 6- Shows the bottle placed in the Domino stops.

:)

Lignum
31st October 2009, 11:30 PM
Pic 1- Shows the divisions being glued to the inner sides. They are just glued and hammered home and not clamped as the Domies are a great fit. I use the square to make sure they are all at 90deg. I leave them flat like that for a few hours to dry.

Pic 2- Shows the inner slides fitted to the base,

Pic 3 and 4- Shows the dry fit up. I still need to add the Domino spacers for the wine bottle on the base…. I forgot about that.:-

martrix
1st November 2009, 09:42 AM
you are domino crazy.:D

Since you got it, how many domino's do you think you've been through?

Lignum
1st November 2009, 10:11 AM
Domino crazy’s not the word. Awesome tool when you are trying to pump out moderately cheap work to make a living. With this cabinet, just the two pigeon box ends, sides to base, centre divider (not shown) and edging, there are 129 Dominos. So I couldn’t even begin to estimate 3 and a half years of flat out Dominoing :oo:

gooma
1st November 2009, 10:28 AM
What a great idea there,

Really like the use of the domino as a stopper for the base of the wine bottle:2tsup:

Tex B
1st November 2009, 05:10 PM
Great work, Lignum. Amazing how much you've been able to get out of your domino.

Just a thought, most people seem to prefer the bottles snuggled into the holder rather than sticking out as in pic 2 on post 7. That may not have been testing the fit of the back stop, in the pic with the back stop it looks a bit deeper. But even if the bottle doesn't stick out at all it's still easy to grab the neck.

Also there are a number of odd shaped bottles out there. Might be a good ideal to get hold of a Peter Lehmann, Rockford, and a Moet to make sure they all fit. Plus you should be able to write off those purchases as a business expense :wink:

My domino came with the wing, and I haven't figured out what it's for. Now I know, thanks.

Cheers,

Tex

Christos
1st November 2009, 08:15 PM
Great work.

Does not matter what you use, just as long you are happy with the outcome.

Lignum
2nd November 2009, 05:48 AM
Pic 1- A very, very frantic glue-up.:oo: Had to work so quick to avoid the dominos binding and making clamping near impossible.

Pic 2- Shows centre panel dry fitted and housings cut for the rails, and the drawer runners mortised. The glue-up sequence was centre divider first, then front two rails 2nd, then drawer runners followed by the back rails.

Pic 3- Shows the completed carcase. :)

The dimensions of this cabinet are - Back length 2200mm, front length 2000mm, 900mm (h) 500mm (d) and it will have 60mm feet.

LGS
2nd November 2009, 07:06 AM
Another outstanding Domino innovation from Lig.:2tsup:

Groggy
2nd November 2009, 08:45 AM
I've been thinking of going back to plain white glue for the longer glue up time. I reckon the yellow aliphatic is for young guys with healthy hearts :D

Nice looking cabinet Lig :2tsup:

Bob38S
2nd November 2009, 09:48 AM
Nice work - I'm looking forward to seeing the finish you plan to use as well as the completed project.

The design, - commercial, someone else, or your own? Quite unusual with the angled sides.

Regards,
Bob

Lignum
2nd November 2009, 09:32 PM
Pic 1- making the door “Domipulls” two doors together with spacer either side.

Pic 2 - The recess plunged. The top was plunged on the 22mm setting then dropped to the 28mm setting. It’s a good balance between not to big and being able to get your fingers in.

Pic 3 3 shows the inside top trimmed and rounded. Feels nice when no sharpness is there.

Pic 4 Shows feet added and shelf mortises placed, and it’s starting to get lacquered up. Two thin coats in that pic.

Pic 5 - Shows the Domidrawer. The new Accessory stop is perfect for a simple twin mortise.

Bob, their concept, my design.:)

Groggy I think your right,, You are getting to old for the cool glue:wink:

carpoid
2nd November 2009, 11:23 PM
This is coming along nicely mate, very neat :2tsup: I like the look of the Dominoed drawer, the shelf supports made me smile too, great idea :cool:

Lignum
3rd November 2009, 07:16 AM
the shelf supports made me smile too, great idea :cool:

Carp, here is the jig to do the shelves (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f58/new-domino-shelf-drilling-jig-100992/#post999192) :)

Bob38S
3rd November 2009, 11:36 AM
Bob, their concept, my design.:)

Nice adaptation - and I bet dollars to donuts that the construction is superior. :D

Lignum
3rd November 2009, 01:21 PM
All finished... time for a beer i think:wink:

Wongo
3rd November 2009, 01:35 PM
Beautiful work Lignum. Love your work as always.

gooma
4th November 2009, 09:49 AM
Thats really come up very nicely Lignum:2tsup:

It`s great to see a WIP that ends up with such a great result.

Christos
4th November 2009, 09:56 AM
Very nice indeed.

:U

Afro Boy
4th November 2009, 08:03 PM
Very nice work there Lignum. I love it. I'm going to start running out of room for all this gorgeous stuff you're building me! :;

Tex79
4th November 2009, 08:29 PM
As usual you've produced more outstanding work.

Nice one Lignum.

martrix
4th November 2009, 09:58 PM
solid piece of joinery there Lig, I like the design.:cool:

However, definitely not a fan of the exposed Domino bottle stops, looks like unfinished business to me. Same same for the shelf pins.

Lignum
4th November 2009, 10:11 PM
However, definitely not a fan of the exposed Domino bottle stops, looks like unfinished business to me. Same same for the shelf pins.

Fair call.:) Looking at the photo I should have put some dark stain on them.

martrix
4th November 2009, 10:13 PM
Fair call.:) Looking at the photo I should have put some dark stain on them.

good idea, for sure that would help a lot.

artme
6th November 2009, 09:11 PM
Great piece Lignum.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I´m beginning to see why SOME people are fanatical about dominoes.

Tex B
7th November 2009, 05:28 PM
Nice work Lignum. Looks fantastic :2tsup:

Tex