PDA

View Full Version : I have arrived

river rat
31st October 2009, 08:05 AM
Well it has taken 5 years but i have finally got here. My wife is ozzie. now I have to do the paperwork thing and waiting for our house hold goods to get here which has my lathe and tools in. I am looking forward to meeting new turners and picking up tips from them.

River Rat

Mulgabill
31st October 2009, 08:45 AM
Welcome river rat!
Welcome to Oz, We look forward to hearing from you and seeing your work. What part of OZ will you be calling home from now on?

munruben
31st October 2009, 08:48 AM
Welcome RR Nice to have you aboard and welcome to Australia.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

masoth
31st October 2009, 11:07 AM
Well done, RR. I feel safe in saying you will not be disappointed - we truely have 'a lucky country', and you are welcome. All you need do is learn new spelling and to say "g'dayMate,owyagoin".

soth

Ed Reiss
31st October 2009, 11:40 AM
All you need do is learn new spelling and to say "g'dayMate,owyagoin".

...and not get killed driving on the wrong side of the road :o

Well, RR, when you and Ozzie get homesick, the US will welcome you back...and secretly I envy you the adventure of living in Oz land:;:D

hughie
31st October 2009, 12:40 PM
Welcome aboard. :2tsup:

Next question what part of Oz are in? Then you can hook up with a few locals off the forum etc and get set up for when the lathe arrives.

Hmmm you might need a transformer for you lathe as well unless you plan to change the motor over to 240v

tea lady
31st October 2009, 02:16 PM
Welcome to Aus.. Brother in law finally got through the paper work thing. Just remember, is does end.:rolleyes:

I'm sure you could find a lathe here to work on if the wait gets too long for the ship.:cool:

rsser
31st October 2009, 05:29 PM
There's now a reissue of an essential guide to speaking and understanding Australian 'English':

Let Stalk Strine (http://www.penguin.com.au/lookinside/spotlight.cfm?SBN=9781921520853) by Afferbeck Lauder.

Gedda copy kwik.

river rat
1st November 2009, 10:07 AM
I am in New Bieth near Greenbank outside of Brisbane. at least that is what they tell me. The shipment should be here before christmas. I already have a 5kw transformer in the shipment i traded a dustcollector for it.

River Rat

chippy 71
1st November 2009, 12:37 PM
I am in New Bieth near Greenbank outside of Brisbane. at least that is what they tell me. The shipment should be here before christmas. I already have a 5kw transformer in the shipment i traded a dustcollector for it.

River Rat

Welcome to the land of Oz RR.

Living in New Beith it would appear you are right on the door step of one of our members, John at Munruben.

Colin.

hughie
1st November 2009, 04:41 PM

Well then it seems all in hand. :2tsup: and you should fit in real well.

[a] married to an Aussie, this shows great discernment.

[b] We have a lot electricity here.

[c] And a lot of country to go adventuring in. :hpydans2:

:bgth:

Allen Neighbors
3rd November 2009, 02:30 PM
And 'ere he sets, in West Texas, eatin' 'is heart out... so envious that 'is skin's turnin' green. :(

Good on ya, RR. :D I wish you well. (I also wish I had the wherewithall....)

Texian
3rd November 2009, 04:26 PM
Best of luck RR. Just gotta envy you all those great "local" turning woods.

Ad de Crom
3rd November 2009, 05:50 PM
Hi river rat, welcome to your new homeland.
Far away from me, I'm to old now to move over to aussie, but if I where younger...)))
But it's nice to say hello to a woodturner.
Ad

Sawdust Maker
3rd November 2009, 09:00 PM
welcome RR
Queensland hmmm - better not say it I'll get some sort of shellacking

Ad
you don't look that old in your piccy:p

Ad de Crom
4th November 2009, 12:30 AM
welcome RR
Queensland hmmm - better not say it I'll get some sort of shellacking

Ad
you don't look that old in your piccy:p
Well, with me it's the same as looking to a painting, not too close :D
Ad

Allen Neighbors
4th November 2009, 03:21 PM
What happened to the avatars?

joe greiner
4th November 2009, 11:02 PM

The same thing that happened to everything else, I guess - they changed. Or, what exactly is your question?

Cheers,
Joe

hughie
5th November 2009, 10:38 AM
[What happened to the avatars?

Still got mine, but where did the greenies go :?. Have been meaning to hand a few out, but......

joe greiner
5th November 2009, 11:44 PM
Still got mine, but where did the greenies go :?. Have been meaning to hand a few out, but......
The little Scales of Justice symbol in the upper right corner of each message.

Cheers,
Joe

artme
6th November 2009, 04:38 AM
About bloody time!

My shed is in better order now mate but I´m not there to show it off. You will have to wait until I get back home.

BTW - Welcome to your new home.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

artme
6th November 2009, 04:42 AM
Just read a few of the other posts. Not too far from me, or Munruben, or Pasho.

Don´t know if thatt´s a good or a bad thing.:D:D:D:q

Grumpy John
6th November 2009, 07:55 AM
Welcome to the Great Southern Land RR, I'm sure the northerners will make you feel right at home. Don't believe any stories about drop bears or hoop snakes :rolleyes:, there's enough dangerous wildlife out here without making things up.

Australia's Deadly Dozen - The Killers | Aussie Pete (http://www.aussiepete.com/2009/10/australias-deadly-dozen-killers.html)

DJ’s Timber
6th November 2009, 10:53 AM

Have a look in your User CP, because you've rejoined under a new Username, a lot of the usual stuff you're used to seeing will be turned off.