PDA

View Full Version : Latest projects.

spencer411
1st November 2009, 03:42 PM
Hey guys and gals, here are a couple of my projects I've finished at tafe as part of my apprenticeship. Any comments would be great. PS first time posting photos so I hope it works, cheers!! :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

munruben
1st November 2009, 03:52 PM
Nice work, love the inlay work, well done.:2tsup:

Tex B
1st November 2009, 04:54 PM
That is a really cool table, Spencer. I love the new take on an old design. The inlay and banding are well suited to the piece. Very well done! :2tsup:

The chair will be great when finished, and nice curves on the leg.

Looking forward to more pics.

Tex

AlexS
1st November 2009, 05:04 PM
Love that table, agree with Tex about the new take on an old design.

blockhed
2nd November 2009, 09:21 PM
yes, real neat indeed.
how long did it take to complete the project?
they look very time consuming.
regards
the block
:2tsup:

Wongdai
3rd November 2009, 01:16 AM
Top notch!

RufflyRustic
3rd November 2009, 10:26 AM
Exceptional Design!

Well Done!! What's next? I hope you will continue to work on more designs - WOW!!!!!!!!!

cheers
Wendy

orraloon
3rd November 2009, 12:33 PM
Just love the side table and the chair is looking good also. Looks like you landed in the right TAFE.
Regards
John

wheelinround
3rd November 2009, 12:51 PM
Very nice work indeed

Must be good sparked Wendy's apro:;

Whtas the timber for the side table?? especially the draw

spencer411
3rd November 2009, 07:36 PM
hey guys thanks for the kind words. the table took me 2 weeks (would have finished it within a week, but standing around waiting for tafe lecturers takes up a lo of time!!) type of timber - top and legs on the table are tasie oak, the panels are veneered mdf, i finished the 3 panels off in a day (in the press by late afternoon). the veneer i used on it is mainly man made except the inner diamonds are jarrah veneer. the drawer is just pine and ply.

the pediment on the table was supposed to be of an old style to suit the table, but everyone had the exact same design and i though it was as boring as batpoo. that being said i free hand drew this straight on to the tassie and cut and shaped it out. my lecturer was about to snap it and throw it in the bin (strict old timer) because he thought it wouldn't match the design. i refused and stuck it on and he loved it (in your face lecturer!)..

and yes wendy i am working on more designs, i actually can't stop drawing at the moment!! I'm in the process of setting up a little home workshop so i can start making more furniture.

its really great as an apprentice to have a website like this one though, gives me a lot of ideas and there's so much help.

cheers for having a look and i'll try and get some more up for you. i have a writing table up and coming.

spencer.

wheelinround
4th November 2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks Spencer for the in depth details :2tsup: looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Ray

RufflyRustic
4th November 2009, 09:24 AM
Hi Spencer

So glad you are designing away. I hope you are keeping all of your lines, drawings and ideas. You'd be surprised how handy they are to refer to over the years and what new design they may spark in you.

Trust your instincts. When something (eg a design) is 'as boring as batpoo' it usually is.

Looking forward to seeing your next Piece.:):2tsup:

Cheers
Wendy

Christos
5th November 2009, 12:21 PM
I like what you came up with in the little fan.

spencer411
5th November 2009, 10:04 PM
anyone have any suggestions on a finish? i was thinking danish oil with a rag??????

tea lady
5th November 2009, 10:15 PM
anyone have any suggestions on a finish? i was thinking danish oil with a rag??????:think: I dunno. Didn't you say the panels were veneered MDF? Might be better in Wipe on Poly or Shellac.:shrug:

I like where you took the design of the table. What would be even better is to have the form of the top snakey doodad relating in some way to the inlay design. :2tsup: Looking forward to seeing more of your work.:cool::U

Sebastiaan56
6th November 2009, 05:42 AM
Wot Wendy said, keep your notebooks.

artme
6th November 2009, 09:07 PM
Beuatiful work Spencer.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Desing and work skills are really coming along., congratulations.