PDA

View Full Version : Advice on attaching top of hall tree

Tex B
1st November 2009, 04:48 PM
Currently building a hall tree as a graduation gift for my daughter. It is basically a blanket box, with a tall extension at the back that holds mirrors and hooks. It's based on this one (I even bought the plans) with a few mods.

I'd like to make the top detachable for easier moving. Current thinking is a couple of dowels to position, with two wood 'straps' at the back which screw on and off easily.

I have a very old china cabinet that uses straps with no dowels, which works fine but the cabinet is much more substantial than the back of the hall tree.

What do you reckon? Are there better options?

Thanks,

Tex

rrobor
1st November 2009, 06:29 PM
I think you got to make that very substantial. If you had a small kiddy trying to pull a coat from the hook it could put a great deal of stress on the joint. Me personally I think Id be doing something like routing a channel in the uprights for square tube with larger tube in the base. That way the top just lifts off

Lignum
1st November 2009, 06:43 PM
Tex you know what I would do:D:D

Christos
1st November 2009, 08:20 PM

Did I not just read about you Dominlignum? :U

Tex B
1st November 2009, 09:54 PM

Dominos instead of dowels, that's a given. Then maybe domino the back straps so they can be pried off without screws?

Now there's an idea.....

ian
1st November 2009, 10:24 PM
Tex
what would work is a set of locating dowels / dominos to position the extension then use brass (or bronze) straps to hold it on.

But most importantly add two straps (like those Ikea use) to attach the top of the extension to the wall. If need be include a wall plate as part of the package
That way the wall is resisting the forces imposed by kids climbing on the extension and people pulling scarfs / coats off the hocks

Tex B
2nd November 2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Just came across these (http://elraco.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=3324) with a locking cam? One on each side, two in the back?

Anyone use these before?

Tex

Christos
2nd November 2009, 08:19 PM
I never used them but have pulled apart an old desk and this is what was holding it together.

Using the mating piece to pull it together.

http://elraco.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=197_248&products_id=3320

The issues I had was that after a several year of moving this it started to become loose. The legs were particle board.