PDA

View Full Version : What carbide tip is this?

neksmerj
1st November 2009, 07:12 PM
I was recently sent a carbide tip to try out, from a friend in Japan, and will need to get some more, locally.

I reckon it's a good quality one, it's details are as follows.

Triangular 10mm per side, 3.2mm thick, gold in colour. Each corner has a chip breaker and it is secured with a countersunk special screw. Each side slopes in by a few degrees.

Do you know what this, where I can get some, and approx at what cost?

Attached is a picture.

Ken

pipeclay
1st November 2009, 07:37 PM
The tip appears to be a TCMT ,not sure about the type of chip breaker.
Where to get that profile tip enquire at tool suppliers.
Cost for that profile tip no idea,for the other profile TCMT tips any where from $3.45 each to $10 for a 5 pack or even $40 for a 10 pack,shop on Ebay for other TCMT tips of a different profile there are good bargains to be had.

tanii51
1st November 2009, 07:47 PM
has the tool holder got any numbers on it

neksmerj
1st November 2009, 08:07 PM
tanii51,

The tool holder is one I made especially for my Unimat 3 mini lathe.

Thanks fellas for the advice so far.

Ken

Retromilling
2nd November 2009, 07:39 AM
Looks like a Mitsubishi TPGX chip breaker R/L from the shape of the chip breaker I would say it is designed to cut Aluminium and soft materials.

brittleheart
3rd November 2009, 10:51 PM
Are you able to measure the clearance angle?
It is either 7 or 11 degrees.
The side length means it is a "11" triangle size.
The depth refers to a "03"depth.
How does it cut like? Is it OK with types of steel, can you use it with a fine depth of cut?
I have a similar shape for use of fine finishing, and also a similar type for aluminium (not good on steel, I tried by mistake).
Peter

Godzilla98
5th November 2009, 07:37 PM
I recently saw a very similar setup supplied by LPR toolmakers of Broadford at a field day - they seemed to have good range of similar "stuff". - Might be worth a call.
LPR Toolmakers (http://www.lprtoolmakers.com/)

neksmerj
9th November 2009, 03:05 PM
Have just heard from my Japanese friend, that the tip he sent me was manufactured by KYOCERA.

The part No. is TPGH110304R PV7020 gold. I presume the number designates 11mm per side, 3mm thick nominal, and a radius of 0.4mm.

Anyone know where I can obtain ceramic tips from KYOCERA in Melbourne?

Update, KYOCERA have an office here in Australia, will send them an email.

Thanks for all the help,

Ken

CHJ
9th November 2009, 07:40 PM
Have just heard from my Japanese friend, that the tip he sent me was manufactured by KYOCERA.

The part No. is TPGH110304R PV7020 gold. I presume the number designates 11mm per side, 3mm thick nominal, and a radius of 0.4mm.

Thanks for all the help,

Ken

HERE'S some info (http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-insert-d.htm) on Carbide tip designations.

Linked on my website (http://quest42.co.uk/woodwork/html/metallinks.html)

Retromilling
16th November 2009, 09:25 PM

Thanks for all the help,

Ken
After checking my Kyocera catalogue it could be a TPGH as you say as it is almost identical to the Mitsubishi of the same type.
However my catalogue shows two different chip breakers for that same code you quote.
I hate buying Kyocera because their product info is so confusing and poorly presented.
If it is a Kyocera think its an " S type chipbreaker " , they say Finnishing , light cuts.
For soft materials , sharp edge preperation , low cutting force.
I think this would be good for a small lathe .
There is also an A3 chipbreaker specificly for Aluminium and NF that might be good also.
How the chipbreaker code works into the ISO code I can not tell from Kyocera's lousy information. You may have to state that seperately ?
Something like
TPGH110304R PV7020 chip breaker S
The distributer on my book is Meyer Precision Grinding Melbourne .

neksmerj
16th November 2009, 10:12 PM
Retromilling,

Thanks for the info, and from other members.

It seems Kyocera Aust exists in name only, the nearest office seems to be in Singapore. Sent them an email late last week, and have heard nothing since, a bit disappointing. Will now try Meyer Precision Grinding Melbourne, or Mitsubishi.

I appreciate all the help I've had.

Ken