PDA

View Full Version : McCulloch Chain Saw

edberry
2nd November 2009, 12:29 AM
Whatever you do DO NOT buy a cheap McCulloch chain saw! I bought one from Bunnings for some back yard work. I just had some trees to cut down and some general cleaning up to do.

Bunnings sell these chainsaws for around $200 so I thought hey may as well get one. Here's what happened. Get it home, put it together, start it up, 20 seconds later the chain comes off.

I dismantled and put it back together. Same thing happened after 4min use. Dismantled again, tried tightening whatever I could. Same thing after about 5mins. I take it back. Staff member says "well sorry you have already used it too much we cant exchange it"

Staff member suggested a few things which I did. Started using again, engine started to stall. I had the right mix so it wasn't that. More stalling, chain comes off again.

I take the whole thing apart, checked fuel lines, everything else - came to the conclusion its a piece of junk so I threw it in the bin. $200 down the drain!

Ed

Virgil
2nd November 2009, 07:15 AM
Stihl or Husqvarna. I don't think there is anything else that qualifies as a chainsaw.

If it looks to good to be true it probably is.

The big green shed might be able to get things cheaper but we are the ones that pay the price.

I take it the tree is still there?

Cheers,
Virg.

billyt
2nd November 2009, 08:39 AM
Take it back!!! Demand a refund as product not fit for purpose.

glenn k
2nd November 2009, 09:11 AM
I think you must have put it together incorrectly, there has to be a reason why a chain comes off. Perhaps the parts were not compatible incorrect pitch etc. I bought a McCulloch saw for $80 in the mid 70's heaps of power light weight but my hands were closed in the mornings and I needed to open them with the other hand (due to vibration) so I stopped using it. I gave it to a friend who just did a few small jobs fine for this.
I would write to Bunnings and complain about saw and staff.

BobL
2nd November 2009, 10:49 AM
I think you must have put it together incorrectly, there has to be a reason why a chain comes off. Perhaps the parts were not compatible incorrect pitch etc. I bought a McCulloch saw for $80 in the mid 70's heaps of power light weight but my hands were closed in the mornings and I needed to open them with the other hand (due to vibration) so I stopped using it. I gave it to a friend who just did a few small jobs fine for this.
I would write to Bunnings and complain about saw and staff.

The 70's macs are a world away from the stuff they make today. Todays mac is a consumer saw and intended for occasional light garden work and a bit of firewood cutting. They are not a professional saw.

Ozkaban
2nd November 2009, 11:07 AM
I wholeheartedly backup what Ed has said, thgouh for different reasons.

A year or two ago, we had a reipper of a storm on a long weekend. I needed to clear away a bunch of trees, so I needed a chainsaw. First stop, local mower/outdoor center who have always been great. They were shut! What a weekend to not be open. I was aiming for a basic Stihl.

I ended up a Bunnings and bought the best they had - a McCulloch petrol with 18" bar, etc. It cost $350, which wile cheap for a chainsaw was still a chunk of money. I even asked for advice on the oil, etc and got the best they had.

It worked fine for that weekend. A couple of weeks later a friend needed a smallish tree taken out - the trunk was about 6". Fired up the chainsaw and it worked for a while then just died. Completely siezed up.

Bunnings didn't want to know me - "You'll have to take it to the service centre yourself, or we can but it will cost you the courier fee". Bloody consumer laws in this country.

Took it to a service centre and they told me it was my fault - not enough oil in the petrol. I explained that I used the guide that was on the fuel cap - 40:1. They said this was the American spec. When asked what the difference in oil would be, given our oil is almost completely imported, they couldn't answer. Asked why, if Aus oil is so inferior, why didn't they change the fuel cap to reflect our conditions. Again no answer.

After a hell of a lot of arguing, they agree to submit it for warranty but no promises. In the end (about 3 months later), I got a call saying that it was going to be covered - thank goodness. Got the thing back with a sleeve in the cylinder, and now make sure it runs 25:1 oil. It works, but I'd hardly call it a stellar performer.

So basically,
1. It's a cheap saw, cheaply made.
2. After sales service is on the bad side of terrible
3. Buy a Stihl or a Husky (though Husky own McCulloch...)

Cheers,
Dave

BobL
2nd November 2009, 11:39 AM
It worked fine for that weekend. A couple of weeks later a friend needed a smallish tree taken out - the trunk was about 6". Fired up the chainsaw and it worked for a while then just died. Completely siezed up.

I'm not necessarily saying this is what happened in your case but even really cheap saws with so little use usually don't seize just up like that. Based on your description my first reaction is immediately, it's been very badly tuned, or run on straight petrol, or close to straight petrol. The Stohl guys I know are merciless on people that runs straight petrol in their saws.

Small motor manufacturers are on a hiding to nowhere placing their products in the hands of occasional users where it's so easy for a novice or occasional user to mix up petrol supplies. If in any doubt chuck it out. I strongly recommend starting from scratch with the mix if its more than a month or so old.

BTW The 25:1 ratio is deliberately done to cover their asses and just chucks a heap of unburnt gunk out of the exhaust doing the operator no favours. Those saws run fine on 50:1 using a quality two stroke lube.

Ozkaban
2nd November 2009, 11:56 AM
I'm not necessarily saying this is what happened in your case but even really cheap saws with so little use usually don't seize just up like that. Based on your description my first reaction is immediately, it's been very badly tuned, or run on straight petrol, or close to straight petrol. The Stohl guys I know are merciless on people that runs straight petrol in their saws.

Small motor manufacturers are on a hiding to nowhere placing their products in the hands of occasional users where it's so easy for a novice or occasional user to mix up petrol supplies. If in any doubt chuck it out. I strongly recommend starting from scratch with the mix if its more than a month or so old.

BTW The 25:1 ratio is deliberately done to cover their asses and just chucks a heap of unburnt gunk out of the exhaust doing the operator no favours. Those saws run fine on 50:1 using a quality two stroke lube.

hi Bob,

I have a Stihl line trimmer that buzzes along really nicely on 50:1, using Stihl oil. the oil in the chainsaw was Masport brand, and was the most expensive than bunnings stocked when I bought it. I agree that it sounds like I did something dumb, but I was very careful to measure out the oil accurately.

I do take your point about petrol/oil not really lasting even a month. In general I only buy small amounts and would rarely go beyond this time.

Not sure what went wrong with it, but it certainly wasn't straight petrol being put through it.

Cheers,
Dave

glenn k
2nd November 2009, 02:13 PM
Bob the 70's McCullocks were certainly not proffessional saws. I was only doing trees part time when I bought it; my older brother tried it and decided to buy one (he ran Stihls but they were blocks with a bar on the side heavy and hadn't copied the Husky shape yet) His lasted a month before a screw vibrated though the case he put a washer under it then a larger washer but after 3 months the screws had vibrated though the engine mounts. Even the crapy Stihls like an 019 last a year or so where an 010 can last 10 years of hard use.
Ozkaban oils aint oils I used to run Optimol at 70:1 it species 100:1 where Stihl oil 50:1 they are new generation oils (what ever that means) they say the oil sticks to hot parts. If I run other oil I run it 20:1 or 25:1 and suffer the smoke.

Ozkaban
2nd November 2009, 03:07 PM
BOzkaban oils aint oils I used to run Optimol at 70:1 it species 100:1 where Stihl oil 50:1 they are new generation oils (what ever that means) they say the oil sticks to hot parts. If I run other oil I run it 20:1 or 25:1 and suffer the smoke.
I think that's the lesson I learnt... Still, I bought the best I could at the time :rolleyes:

Shedhand
2nd November 2009, 03:49 PM
I bought a Poulan - new - in 1979. It cost me about 270 bucks which was a small fortune to me at the time. I replaced the original bar with an 18" bar as the specs said it the engine would handle it. I'd never owned or used one before then.
Two days after I bought it, I decided to jump in at the deep end and cut down a gum tree in the back yard, next to the dunny,about 60 feet high with a 4 foot diameter - my 3 year old boy kept climbing the damn thing and couldn't get down. Made the undercut - but not enough - and as a result the tree trunk pivoted on the saw clamping it in the cut. I ran as the tree started to fall but it slid down the bar and somehow landed butt first plumb on the chainsaw engine and then crushed the dunny (with a full tank) to kindling:(. I pointed out calmly to the SWMBO at the time who was ranting and raving - which was her normal demeanor - that I was alive and the tree was down and I could build a new thunderbox easy. Anyway, I took the crushed little Poulan into McDougall's Chainsaws in Hobart to see if they could fix her -"her" because 2 strokes and she went off :wink: and after much mirth and poor jokes they decided to give it ago. A week later I get a phone call, "come and get your Poulan mate". Went in and there it was rebuilt like new and under warranty ( I think they scammed the Poulan maker (Canadians). Anyway, I've cut hundreds of tonnes of firewood, assorted trees, sleepers (and the occasional hidden lump of sandstone with it since. Never misses a beat. Run it on 40:1 with a premium 2 stroke oil. It's never been back for a service -only 4 spark plugs - since it was rebuilt. I've gone through a couple dozen chains over the years, and become a reasonably expert hand sharpener. It was laying idle in my shed in Hobart for about 4 years (gave up woodheaters a long time ago) and I brought it to my new digs when I moved. A few months ago I cast a sideways glance at her and wondered if she would fire up ok as I wanted to cut a big hole in a couple of walls for my housebound "shed". I still had half a drum of chainsaw fuel mix which had to be at least 4 possibly 5 years old. Gave it a good shake, filled the tank up, gave it some choke, 3 yanks and away it went. Smoke everywhere for a minute, stalled twice then away it went again. I was staggered to say the least.
Now I challenge anyone to beat that with a Mac, Stihl, Pioneer (remember the yella terrors), Husky or anything else. The only issue i've ever had is that after extended use the exhaust baffle works loose.
:2tsup: Poulan are great. If I ever replace it - it'll be with a Poulan.
The "Big Green Box" sell alot of crap. Unfortunately while people keep buying it they'll keep selling it. :no:

Here she is today:

120980 The dog is a media tart. Every time she hears the dingle dingle of the handycam firing up she pokes her head in. :U

rsser
2nd November 2009, 03:59 PM
Yes, my Poulan worked a treat but I didn't keep it that long. They appear to come out of the same factory as Jonsered.

Now have a Husky. Starts and works well every time. Bit unbalanced on the ground so tends to list sideways; minor niggle.

Shedhand
2nd November 2009, 04:08 PM
Yes, my Poulan worked a treat but I didn't keep it that long. They appear to come out of the same factory as Jonsered.

Now have a Husky. Starts and works well every time. Bit unbalanced on the ground so tends to list sideways; minor niggle.
The Manufacturers Plate says: Poulan Chainsaw Model 306A, Beard-Poulan Division of Emerson Electric Company, Shreveport, LA.

glenn k
2nd November 2009, 04:17 PM
The best lasting saws I have ever had were Echo little champs. I was powerline clearing so they ran about 3 hours a day 5 days a week. As you need two because after a tank full or on hot days a bit earlier the petrol boils and they get vapour lock so you need to swap saws so eack saw 15 hrs a week. Did that for 6 years bought in early 80's and some still going strong dropping them is sometimes a trouble. They do need tunning often though and aren't very powerful. My 032 Stihl went for about 15 years before I gave it a set of rings but after 026's came out ~same power ~1/2 the weight it didn't get used much.

rsser
2nd November 2009, 04:57 PM
The Manufacturers Plate says: Poulan Chainsaw Model 306A, Beard-Poulan Division of Emerson Electric Company, Shreveport, LA.

Poulan side-cover inc. clutch fitted straight onto my Jonsered.

BobL
2nd November 2009, 05:50 PM
. . . .Poulan are great. If I ever replace it - it'll be with a Poulan.

Before you get too excited, if you take a closer look at what has happened to poulan you'll see they have gone the same way as McCulloch - ie to that great asian factory in the north.

Your Poulan 306A (made between 1970 and 1980) was a 59 cc reasonably solid beastie (your story testifies to this fact) with a bit of torque and staying power. Today's poulan is not designed to last anywhere near what a 306 can take, and are considered no better than any other cheap saw by people that know saws.

The typical poulan of today is a 33-40 cc plastic not-so-fantastic with the largest capacity made today being 46 cc. In 1979 $270 was equivalent to $760 today but today's poulans can be bought on ebay for the same $149.95 price tag as those other one-season wonders.

With $760 today, you can probably look at a dolmar or jonsered but I would most definitely not be looking a poulan. An alternative would be to look for a used Stihl or Husky in the 60 cc class.

q9
2nd November 2009, 09:53 PM
I can still remember dad throwing his at the tree after half an hour of trying to get it to start...

Shedhand
2nd November 2009, 11:10 PM
Before you get too excited, if you take a closer look at what has happened to poulan you'll see they have gone the same way as McCulloch - ie to that great asian factory in the north.

Your Poulan 306A (made between 1970 and 1980) was a 59 cc reasonably solid beastie (your story testifies to this fact) with a bit of torque and staying power. Today's poulan is not designed to last anywhere near what a 306 can take, and are considered no better than any other cheap saw by people that know saws.

The typical poulan of today is a 33-40 cc plastic not-so-fantastic with the largest capacity made today being 46 cc. In 1979 $270 was equivalent to $760 today but today's poulans can be bought on ebay for the same $149.95 price tag as those other one-season wonders.

With $760 today, you can probably look at a dolmar or jonsered but I would most definitely not be looking a poulan. An alternative would be to look for a used Stihl or Husky in the 60 cc class.Well, there you go. I'll stick with old girl then. Bloody Globalisation, who's idea was it anyway. :no:

woodbutcher1965
3rd November 2009, 12:34 AM
Recently bought a Poulan-Pro Model 6120, its 60 odd cc engine, purchased from the local Husky dealer. So far apart from some bad luck with a faulty chain brake which was replaced under warranty it seems to be a quality saw.

My old saw is a (vintage) Stihl 08.

Most importantly in relation to this thread the Poulan-Pro is manufactured in Italy, and is clearly marked as being a subsidiary of Husqvarna.

So I think its a bit premature to deem all Poulan products as being made in China.

As others have said and I agree, the big green box seem only to deal Chinese made out door power tools, e.g. chainsaws. I think that is because they have to get the stuff at rock bottom prices to make up for all their overheads.

Tony Morton
3rd November 2009, 12:37 PM
Hi Ed

I picked up a ex bunnies chainsaw for $25 at a garage sale took in into our local serviveman and hre said that these were made for the big hardware stores on the cheap and not to expect more than about 20 hours trouble free from them. this one is handy round the shed but I wouldnt use it for firewood or anything heavy.

Cheers Tony

Ash240
3rd November 2009, 02:52 PM
Bunnings didn't want to know me - "You'll have to take it to the service centre yourself, or we can but it will cost you the courier fee". Bloody consumer laws in this country.
Cheers,
Dave

That's got nothing to do with the law. You have a contract with the retailer you bought it from. If they did not want to stick with that contract you could ask and push for a full refund. This sort of crap goes on because most just take it and have no idea.

Ozkaban
3rd November 2009, 03:38 PM
That's got nothing to do with the law. You have a contract with the retailer you bought it from. If they did not want to stick with that contract you could ask and push for a full refund. This sort of crap goes on because most just take it and have no idea.

Fair enough, but you'd have a hard time pushing it any further. If the numpty behind the desk stonewalls you (and so does their manager, etc), the only recourse you've got is expensive legal issues. Sod all else you can do. Small claims, etc are no value here.

Cheers,
Dabe

petersemple
3rd November 2009, 03:55 PM
Fair enough, but you'd have a hard time pushing it any further. If the numpty behind the desk stonewalls you (and so does their manager, etc), the only recourse you've got is expensive legal issues. Sod all else you can do. Small claims, etc are no value here.

Cheers,
Dabe

If you get stonewalled by the store, my next recourse would be to print out one of the brochures that are available on ACCC and consumer affairs dept type websites. They very clearly spell out legal obligations that the retailer has, and what they have to do in the case of faulty goods. They spell out very clearly that the retailer is the one who has to fix the problem, not the distributor or manufacturer. I would take one of these brochures in and ask to speak with the manager. If this didn't work I would speak to consumer affairs before starting any legal action.

Peter

Ash240
3rd November 2009, 05:20 PM

Cheers,
Dabe

Not really. First step is to go way above the persons head. If the manager has no idea "suggest" they ring Dept Fair Trading right then. After that you make some notes of who you spoke to and times. Then lodge a formal complaint. At worst the store will ignore it and you lodge a claim in a small claims court. Costs about $50.
I'm currently going through this process with a retailer who has ripped me off.
FAR worse situation than anyone is likely to see.

"They" will often do whatever "we" let them.

BobL
3rd November 2009, 05:48 PM
Recently bought a Poulan-Pro Model 6120, its 60 odd cc engine, purchased from the local Husky dealer.

Most importantly in relation to this thread the Poulan-Pro is manufactured in Italy, and is clearly marked as being a subsidiary of Husqvarna.

So I think its a bit premature to deem all Poulan products as being made in China.

Yep this is correct Husqvarna own PoulanPro and McCulloch factories in Italy to supply their el-cheapo consumer level saws end of their market. Both brands of saws are probably made at the same factories. Take a look at the poulan website wwwDORpoulanproDOTcom/node4028.aspx?nid=166587 and you will see the latest poulan pros look like clones of the recent $300 McCullochs.

But being manufactured in Italy is hardly anything to crow about. These are still consumers saws made to a price and not to standard and knowing a little about Italian manufacturing I know that ferrari factories are few and far between and that manufacturing quality control in some parts of Italy only rates about the same as in China.

It's interesting that I cannot see any reference to a PP6120 on any of the chainsaw data bases I have access to, and the only entry on the web is to a NZ ebay type site?. There is no reference to the PP6120 on the poulan website or their user manual data base. What is the model number of this saw?

Ozkaban
3rd November 2009, 06:18 PM
Not really. First step is to go way above the persons head. If the manager has no idea "suggest" they ring Dept Fair Trading right then. After that you make some notes of who you spoke to and times. Then lodge a formal complaint. At worst the store will ignore it and you lodge a claim in a small claims court. Costs about $50.
I'm currently going through this process with a retailer who has ripped me off.
FAR worse situation than anyone is likely to see.

"They" will often do whatever "we" let them.

If you get stonewalled by the store, my next recourse would be to print out one of the brochures that are available on ACCC and consumer affairs dept type websites. They very clearly spell out legal obligations that the retailer has, and what they have to do in the case of faulty goods. They spell out very clearly that the retailer is the one who has to fix the problem, not the distributor or manufacturer. I would take one of these brochures in and ask to speak with the manager. If this didn't work I would speak to consumer affairs before starting any legal action.

Peter

All fair comments. I guess in the end, when I cam to buy a line trimmer I skipped Bunnings and bought it from my local store (the one I wanted to buy the chainsaw from in the first place). So yes, bunnings wore me down and I gave up and spent the effort to go to a repairer myself. But the next $400+ purchase wasnt from them...

Foo
4th November 2009, 09:06 PM
My brother owns a Tallon with a 14inc bar.Brought it from Big W for $95,and goes a treat.We use it for camping and 4wding,for clearing fallen logs.He has had it for just over 18 months.We have cleared logs up to 600mm in diameter,with it.For that price you can't complain.:2tsup:

Kyle
7th November 2009, 08:18 AM
I think these saws are pot luck.

I bought one of these saws 10 years ago at Mitre 10 for $250. 38cc McCulloch with a 18 inch bar, I have seen the same saws over the years recoloured and stickered as Talon's, Polan's, Ryobi's, ect.

Bought it originally for 4WDing and camping and is now used for cutting fire wood and pruning at home. First thing I did was replace the bar with a 14 inch one which made a masive improvement. Always run 30:1 fuel using your run of the mill 2 stroke oil and always follow the start instructions and let it warm up.

10 years on I've been through 2 chain sprockets, 2 spark plugs and a couple of bars and chains (don't try to cut through railway spikes) and still going strong, well past it's 20 hour life. Go figure?

MY father inlaw and I also have those Ebay Husky rip off saws. 62cc 22 inch bar delivered for $125 each. My inlaws lost their house, sheds, everything in the Black Saterday bushfires. We bought a saw each a few days after the fires to clean up the property (they have 20 acres in St Andrews). They both leak fuel and bar oil everywhere, chains need tensioning a bit and the on/off switch rattles off while using it. Ther've got a heap of grunt and got a fair work out clearing the property. I still use mine but my father inlaw lasted a week with his. He's only ever owned Stihl's so this thing was junk to him, went and got himself another 390 Farmboss.

Thanks to a friend selling his property I should come into possesion of a 20 inch Dolmar very soon:D

woodbutcher1965
10th November 2009, 06:32 PM
Yep this is correct Husqvarna own PoulanPro and McCulloch factories in Italy to supply their el-cheapo consumer level saws end of their market. Both brands of saws are probably made at the same factories. Take a look at the poulan website wwwDORpoulanproDOTcom/node4028.aspx?nid=166587 and you will see the latest poulan pros look like clones of the recent $300 McCullochs.

But being manufactured in Italy is hardly anything to crow about. These are still consumers saws made to a price and not to standard and knowing a little about Italian manufacturing I know that ferrari factories are few and far between and that manufacturing quality control in some parts of Italy only rates about the same as in China.

It's interesting that I cannot see any reference to a PP6120 on any of the chainsaw data bases I have access to, and the only entry on the web is to a NZ ebay type site?. There is no reference to the PP6120 on the poulan website or their user manual data base. What is the model number of this saw?

As you say there is not much information out there on this saw, I suspect that general lack information on the internet is at least partly due to Husqvarna not wanting to disadvantage their flagship products - Jonsered and Husqvarna itself.

I made a mistake and omission in my orignal post, the engine is actually 59cc and it is old stock.

The details that are on the saw it self are:
Model - 6120 P.Pro
PNC - 953900712
Type - MS 60
ML - 02
Engine Code - CS_59_05_A
Year - 2006
Engine Family - 4EOP.59SH305

The manual it comes with is useless, and I'm trying to find more information on it.
That said this saw is extremely well made.

I have seen it mentioned in an U.S. based chainsaw forum that the engine is parts wise compatable with the equivalent Jonsered Model (2159 I think).

My perpsective is that its worth trying a cheaper saw like this, at around $450 (with a very generous discount) its got a lot of capability for the money. I would have got very little change out of $1000 to get an equivalent saw from one of the top name brands.

kwaka
16th January 2011, 10:06 PM
Whatever you do DO NOT buy a cheap McCulloch chain saw! I bought one from Bunnings for some back yard work. I just had some trees to cut down and some general cleaning up to do.

Bunnings sell these chainsaws for around $200 so I thought hey may as well get one. Here's what happened. Get it home, put it together, start it up, 20 seconds later the chain comes off.

I dismantled and put it back together. Same thing happened after 4min use. Dismantled again, tried tightening whatever I could. Same thing after about 5mins. I take it back. Staff member says "well sorry you have already used it too much we cant exchange it"

Staff member suggested a few things which I did. Started using again, engine started to stall. I had the right mix so it wasn't that. More stalling, chain comes off again.

I take the whole thing apart, checked fuel lines, everything else - came to the conclusion its a piece of junk so I threw it in the bin. $200 down the drain!

Ed

I know this ones been dead and buried for a while ( bit like workchoices?) anyway just thought id chuck in my 2 cents since I had a very similar incident recently. Bought a 38CC/16" McCulloch M3816 from the big shed and must have got about an hour solid cutting in (over a couple of sessions) when it completely seized up. They sent me off to an approved repair agent and a couple of weeks later the repairer sends me a text mesage saying that the motor was unrepairable and it "looks like it's been run on fuel with not enough oil recently". I asked how they test this since I used 40:1 2/ as per the instructions (the tank was 1/2 full). They don't test but made the assesment based on the damage. Anyway I don't want to get into the following drama's about warranty etc. but figure since I never want to go through this kind of crap again, I'm thinking of going and paying up the extra dosh and getting a brand spanking new husky or stihl. Seems like they are the only way to go after reading some threads on here. I'll put it down to an expensive lesson learned and move on.:~

Good thing the McC's yellow since mine turned out to be a big lemon.

Fullboar
8th February 2011, 06:39 AM
I will add a good friend of mine owns a pretty large tree trimming/chopping company and use to use stihl exclusively. The shop where he use to buy all Stihl products changed hand and as he said service was non existent. Anyway he has now changed his fleet of Chainsaws over to Shindaiwa and he said even though he has only used them for about 12 months, they are looking to last longer and have less issues then Stihl.

Mike Busby
13th February 2011, 07:08 PM
Just been through STC Yasi here in townsville and having had to clean up 5 trees from my neighbours that ended up in my yard including 4 mongrel African Mahogany trees about 90cm in diametre I looked at my ridulous Ozito 305mm chain saw my wife bought me a couple of years ago (Heres a tip - never let your wife buy you a chainsaw for your birthday without discussing it with you first) I laughingly called it the Rose Bush pruner and shrugged. I had nothing else so nothing ventured nothing gained. Two pulls and away it went, and went and went and went. 8 hours and 5 resharpens later I have retired my $99.00 Mosquito and it will now be mounted in a place of honour on my shed wall.

It never missed a beat and handled anything I could chuck at it. Bunnings and every shop that sells mowrers etc was out of stock of everything excluding some dodgy looking Ryobi 14 inchers I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

I have no idea who actually built the Ozito but I dips me lid to them even if it is some dodgy Chinese Factory. The only down side is that Bunnings sell the chain saws but no replacement blades to suit so i might just have a look at something bigger and better quality that what Bunnies sell.

rsser
13th February 2011, 07:15 PM
Good result.

Would be interested in some of that African Mahogany.

Mike Busby
13th February 2011, 07:32 PM
Too late all trees where mulched with a great deal of satisfaction.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/945/dscf0392d.jpg
By sirboabtree (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/sirboabtree) at 2011-02-11

Wind speeds at my home measured by my home weather station peaked at 119kph before my anemometer crapped itself and the damn things just snapped about 2 metres above ground level. Stripped leaves and bark clogged 3 gutters causing my ceiling to be flooded and causing several thousands of dollars damage so not my favourite timber now and the owner of the rental property (nextdoor) who planted them is going to be hit with a hefty bill. There is a reason that they have been banned from being grown in Townsville by the council. I have NO trees in my yard.

Mike Busby
13th February 2011, 07:37 PM
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4999/dscf0469ky.jpg (http://img137.imageshack.us/i/dscf0469ky.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Ozito in action.

John Saxton
16th February 2011, 09:48 PM
I strongly recommend starting from scratch with the mix if its more than a month or so old.

Had a post here before on this particular part of the topic, where My brother who has only just sold his Stihl Chainsaw shop was often ranting & raving about people who don't read their operating manuals & consequently showing me the scoring of the pistons & cylinders to prove his point of ill mixed fuel.These same people expected miracles from their local chainsaw shop. His workshop was laden with useless junk that people had had misfortunes with and were only good for spares if that.:(

I have one of those little McCullochs:oo: but a lecky job for doing small trimmings within reach of a GPO. I also have a large Stihl for major work that I got with brothers largess and also an old homelite small 18'' bar for those other small jobs outside the reach of the lecky.

I did'nt look at the petrol version of the McCulloch but my choice in buying the lecky version has so far served me reasonably well .

Cheers:)

Mike Busby
17th February 2011, 08:43 PM
I looked at getting an electric one but having to wait 10 days and 9 hours before my power was switched back on made the choice simple. No power, no chainsaw, no cleanup. Bunnings had heaps of these sitting on the shelf .

Johncs
17th February 2011, 11:50 PM

Cheers,
Dabe

That's not quite so.

A while ago, I got tired of leaking milk bottles. Fifteen years or so, they had fairly course threads with a long pitch and, as I recall, held fairly well.

The some bright spark chose a finer thread, also with a long pitch: I think there were actually two parallel threads.

A little over a year ago, it got to me to the point that I took it up with Woolworths via its corporate website (WOW has at least two, one wouldn't accept my email address due to a bug in its javascript, the site linked from asx.com.au was okay), and I showed them a picture with nearly a quarter of the milk lost from a 3l bottle.
Interestingly, though the milk was labelled "Woolworths," in our correspondence WOW described it as "Home Brand."

Following the discussion, the threads of all milk bottles from WOW, Brownes/Peters, Masters (National Foods) and Coles reverted to the older thread.

The point of the course thread is that it's deeper, and so the plastic has to stretch more before the thread slips.

I imagine the most my wife would have got, complaining at the local shop, was a replacement bottle of milk and the problem would have continued.

If you take your problem to Bunning's head office, you should reach someone with the discretion to ensure your problem is fixed, and to "educate" the local store.

45trekker
18th February 2011, 11:39 AM
I thought I would report a good experience with a Bunnings "McCulloch" saw. model 2818AV. This saw is sold in the US as a Poulan Pro PP4620AVX (with a 20inch bar and tooless chain tension). Bunnings still sell the saw but now with a 20 inch bar model M4620. It is the 46cc saw complained about earlier.

Anyway I have now had about 3 1/2 years service and it has been OK for domestic use. I have sharpened a couple of chains to death, the bar and chain sprocket is looking a bit worn. The only problem has been a broken spring on the clutch. You need a special tool to remove the clutch but the local repair man had that and he had a clutch in stock (off a Husky, same clutch) so no big drama.

The only real design problem is the air filter is too small for dead wood use - I have to clean it every tankfull sometimes. The saw has reasonable power and antivibration handles. Overall it has been good value for me.

Stone Monkey
18th February 2011, 05:48 PM
I had a McCullock that had done about 20 hours over 3 years when it siezed. I was running with the correct fuel / oil mixture. My advice is if you are wanting to chop down something small in the back yard just buy an Ozito cheapy and if you want something more with a bit of longevity go for a stihl or husky.
Cheers
Pete