PDA

View Full Version : LV Pocket Marking Gauge

derekcohen
2nd November 2009, 02:21 AM
http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/markmeasure/15n0201s5.jpg

I have been asked by some whether this marking gauge is useful or a toy ..

I have a half dozen marking gauges, all of which get used. The ability to keep on hand gauges with different settings is very helpful. For example, with dovetails, mortice-and-tenon joints, etc. ... and especially if you are working with boards of different thicknesses (which is usually the case when they are hand thicknessed).

Not all gauges are equal. I prefer cutting gauges for cross-grain work and have a few, ranging from the wheel cutters of LV and Titemark to the more traditional knifed ones of Colen Clenton, Japanese and shopmade.

Depending on the size of the fence, some suit larger work and some suit smaller work. While they can be used for any size work, the original LV and TM wheel cutters are best suited (in my opinion) to medium sized work, that is, boards about 1/2" thick. Now I often work with thinner boards, some 1/4" thick, where one is working closer to the edge. This is also a feature of hinge mortices, where the depth may be between 1/16" to 1/8". These markings are quite delicate and would benefit from a gauge that offers a delicate touch. The size of the fence is important here (in my experience) - you actually want less of it as it just obscures the view and, thus, accuracy. Because you are marking a shallow depth, a small fence will offer sufficient registration.

Today I was building a box that was made of boards 4" wide and 1/4" thick.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/Veritas%20Pocket%20marking%20gauge/Inuse1.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/Veritas%20Pocket%20marking%20gauge/Inuse2.jpg

A tip: the knobs are identical. I scored a cross on one (with a Dremel) to aid in differentiating the ends.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Marking%20and%20Measuring/Veritas%20Pocket%20marking%20gauge/Knobsmarked1.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

mat
2nd November 2009, 12:50 PM
For those who don't know LV has a deal running at present for a combination mini shoulder plane and mini marking guage.
With the good $US exchange rate and small light weight package how could you resist!!

John Saxton
2nd November 2009, 04:15 PM
For those who don't know LV has a deal running at present for a combination mini shoulder plane and mini marking guage.
With the good exchange rate and small light weight package how could you resist!!

Done & dusted

Cheers:)

Ray153
3rd November 2009, 08:08 AM
As the title says, I resisted as much as I could, lasted mere seconds before I caved. Got the email this morning advising that UPS are bringing my order, looking forward to trying them out very much.

With the good exchange rate and small light weight package how could you resist!!

KevM
3rd November 2009, 01:07 PM
As the title says, I resisted as much as I could, lasted mere seconds before I caved. Got the email this morning advising that UPS are bringing my order, looking forward to trying them out very much.

So what were the P & H costs? I'm trying not to be tempted.

Ray153
3rd November 2009, 01:34 PM

Using UPS, door to door on today's exchange rate, $71.87 Australian. Now that you know, I deny all responsibility for whatever damage may ensue to your credit card, or anyone elses for that matter

DJ’s Timber
3rd November 2009, 02:17 PM

I ordered the combination set plus a spare blade for the plane and 2 blades for the gauge and they quoted these prices for shipping, prices are US$

*Surface Mail 8-12 Weeks $11.50
*Airmail 2-4 Weeks $13.64
*Xpresspost 8-10 Business Days $55.11
*UPS Express 5-6 Days to Major Centers $36.26

KevM
3rd November 2009, 02:56 PM
I ordered the combination set plus a spare blade for the plane and 2 blades for the gauge and they quoted these prices for shipping, prices are US$

*Surface Mail 8-12 Weeks $11.50
*Airmail 2-4 Weeks $13.64
*Xpresspost 8-10 Business Days $55.11
*UPS Express 5-6 Days to Major Centers $36.26

So I'm guessing you took the Airmail option. I've found that it tends to take around 7-9 days to Tassie.

DJ’s Timber
3rd November 2009, 08:10 PM
So I'm guessing you took the Airmail option. I've found that it tends to take around 7-9 days to Tassie.

Yep :H

Pat
3rd November 2009, 08:52 PM
Why is it, that I cannot buy just one item from LV? My order was shipped today . . . The Small Tools Kit, Pr Detail Skew chisels, a book and the latest cattledog :U

Ellemcbeast
4th November 2009, 12:22 PM
I must be very thick. I have been all over the Lee Valley internet site and can't find any reference to the mini shoulder plane or the mini marking gauge. I have an itch that needs scratching with new Veritas tools. Could someone help a stupid person please,

DJ’s Timber
4th November 2009, 12:26 PM
I must be very thick. I have been all over the Lee Valley internet site and can't find any reference to the mini shoulder plane or the mini marking gauge. I have an itch that needs scratching with new Veritas tools. Could someone help a stupid person please,

Mini Shoulder Plane and Pocket Marking Gauge - Lee Valley Tools (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1,42936,64321&p=64321)

Ray153
6th November 2009, 07:19 PM
I know that the website gives dimensions, but till I got them in my hand, didn't really sink in how tiny they actually are. They are beautifully engineered though and I placed my order Saturday Aus time and they arrived here today, Friday.

Much more rapid than a particular other company I am still waiting on a delivery from, shipped days earlier with the very same shipping company.

mat
9th November 2009, 08:54 AM
Mine arrived today. 1 week exactly after order placement. Used air mail $US13.64 for two sets.

Ray - with that other company I used Fedex maybe that's why mine arrived much faster than yours.

John Saxton
9th November 2009, 09:23 PM
Being a regular tight A*** I shipped surface:D:D:D

Cheers

Groggy
9th November 2009, 09:30 PM
Being a regular tight A*** ...There you go underselling yourself again John :U

John Saxton
9th November 2009, 09:52 PM
There you go underselling yourself again John :U

Modesty forbids :wink:

Cheers:)

Ellemcbeast
9th November 2009, 11:50 PM
DJ

Many thanks for the information. I am happy to report the itch has been scratched and I await delivery. Maybe because it is a small package it will arrive quickly, or could it be more easily lost????? I''ll see in a week. Now what next?

haggismuncher
10th November 2009, 12:41 PM
Just submitted my order.
Then got a shipping quote of $41 for airmail!!
I assume their Computer is having a bad day :?

mat
10th November 2009, 01:19 PM
Did you ask for the free catalogues? Unfortunately they are heavy and ramp up the freight.

Pat
10th November 2009, 09:22 PM
The cattldogs do up the freight, but there is something about flicking thru a LV cattledog . . . with the idiot box, you have to have half an idea, but with the cattledog turn the page, oh that's interesting, turn the page, I want one of them, turn the page, better not as my card is in melt down:U

derekcohen
10th November 2009, 10:05 PM
Usually LV will provide a choice of 3 shipping methods and prices.

I placed an order about 6 weeks ago for the extension rods for the skew rabbet planes. Because it was a small item I thought I could add in several other small, light items for the same postage. However, as a result, this $11 (CND) item increased postage to $50. I discussed this with the LV staff, and then reduced the order to just the extension rods. The postage was then about $17 (Airmail, 2-4 weeks ..... and I think it took about 10 days). An order the size of the pocket gauge would be the same as this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

haggismuncher
10th November 2009, 10:14 PM
Regrettably it was the catalogues that bumped it up. So I will have to rely on the PDF version for a wee while more. My christmas present is probably coming by boat so I can add it in then. Jana at LV was excellent in dealing with me and my stupidity in adding a huge piece of paperware to my order then complaining about it.
If their service is always this good I may be in trouble ..:D

Pops
10th November 2009, 10:45 PM
Well HM, I guess you will need to prepare to be in trouble, a lot.

Yes, the LV service is exactly that, good old fashioned professional service. I have never been able to fault them, although my credit card now hides at the mention of LV.

Even if there was a rival product cheaper, (not likely) with cheaper shipping, I will still be shopping for tools at LV because of the service. Perhaps I am old fashioned as well. :)

And it is Christmas soon fellas. :)

Cheers
Pops

haggismuncher
10th November 2009, 11:00 PM
Oh no. After 16 years of living in London where service was a grunt if you were lucky. I am overjoyed that there is stil somewhere in the world providing proper service. Now we just have to get them to lower the postage rates as part of their service :;

Saw Crack
11th November 2009, 10:31 PM
I couldn't resist the plane and cutting gauge and while logged on to LV I realised that I was morally bound to add extra items to the package to reduce the carbon miles so added the beam compass and striking knife to the order!! Total goods were $104.00US and air-freight $26.67US. Delivery was estimated as 2 - 4 weeks when ordered last Thursday. Received it all today... 6 days door to door.

And very happy with them.

Cheers

SC

haggismuncher
12th November 2009, 09:41 AM
I realised that I was morally bound to add extra items to the package to reduce the carbon miles so added the beam compass and striking knife to the order!!

I salute your evironmental awareness.
I should have tried to use that one with SWMBO to bump my order up :doh: