PDA

View Full Version : Satellite clock photo frame

thefixer
2nd November 2009, 09:58 PM
G'day all

One of the young ladies that works for me has not seen her parents for around 7 years after getting married an migrating down under. They are finally coming over here from Vietnam to visit her for a few months so I thought I would make them a "welcome to Australia" gift to take back with them. I will get photos from her of herself and her husband and put them in the frames. I reckon it looks better than the old plywood cutout of Oz with a clock stuck on it and the mandatory pictures of koalas and kangaroos.

The globe and fitup housings are Claret Ash, the spindle in the centre is Tassie Myrtle, the foot is Tassie Blackwood and the connecting pieces are species unknown.

Fitups are Jim from Carroll. Thanks Jim again for excellent service. Ordered Friday and arrived Monday.

oldiephred
3rd November 2009, 08:37 AM
Very nice:2tsup: May I use that concept:?

thefixer
3rd November 2009, 08:48 AM
Very nice:2tsup: May I use that concept:?

Go for your life, I nicked the idea from someone else.:wink:

Ozkaban
3rd November 2009, 09:09 AM
That's really nice. I was trying to do a clock/photoframe for my wife's birthday (before giving up and making salt/pepper grinders :doh: ), and could't come up with a design I really liked.

That one is very nice - I may borrow the concept as well!

How did you make the ring supporting everything?

Cheers,
Dave

thefixer
3rd November 2009, 09:16 AM
That's really nice. I was trying to do a clock/photoframe for my wife's birthday (before giving up and making salt/pepper grinders :doh: ), and could't come up with a design I really liked.

That one is very nice - I may borrow the concept as well!

How did you make the ring supporting everything?

Cheers,
Dave

G'day Dave

The joining sections are one large ring turned from a blank and then cut to fit. I connected the pieces together using bamboo skewers as dowel pins. This process took more time than the turning of all the other parts. Very fiddly. And as I said in reply to Oldiephred I nicked the concept from someone else.

Ozkaban
3rd November 2009, 09:18 AM
G'day Dave

The joining sections are one large ring turned from a blank and then cut to fit. I connected the pieces together using bamboo skewers as dowel pins. This process took more time than the turning of all the other parts. Very fiddly. And as I said in reply to Oldiephred I nicked the concept from someone else.

Thanks for that - sounds like a fun process!

Cheers,
Dave

hughie
3rd November 2009, 11:05 AM
Shorty,

Well chosen gift :2tsup:,its been my experience that the folk from this neck of the woods have an understanding of wood turning and appreciate a good piece of turning.

well done mate!

Ed Reiss
3rd November 2009, 12:41 PM
nice piece of work Shorty :2tsup:

artme
6th November 2009, 08:08 PM
Nice work Shorty.:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Sawdust Maker
6th November 2009, 09:36 PM
Nice job :2tsup:
I'm sure it will be appreciated

Ad de Crom
7th November 2009, 02:30 AM
Wow Shorty, I love it.
A new view of inventive woodturning.
Super job!!! Very well done
Ad :2tsup::2tsup:

thefixer
7th November 2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks all for the encouraging replies.Much appreciated.