PDA

View Full Version : Keg Setup Help Needed

neilb
3rd November 2009, 12:01 AM
I have got myself a complete fridge beer kegging setup. I have read all sorts of website info on how to set this equipment up. I have fermented 23 liters of beer which is now ready to be put into the steel keg and have the fridge / CO2 bottle / double regulator / serving gun & all hoses. Is there anyone in the Logan City area who can show me how to connect the CO2 and the keg up properly ? I just dont understand some of these written website directions and with handling gas , I want to play safe as well. :?
Thanks
Neil.

Foo
4th November 2009, 07:24 PM
Your best bet would be ,to go to a homebrew supply store and ask them,or ring one up.
There is one at Slacks Creek 38085198.Happy drinking!:beer:

bpj1968
26th November 2009, 01:32 PM
Neil
how did you get on, it would be interesting to read how it is from a newbies experience

neilb
26th November 2009, 03:07 PM
Well we kegged the first brew. Drank the first brew. We had good head but very few bubbles, just as if it was flat beer after about 20 seconds. It had the right taste but we drank it anyway. (had a few thirsty freinds)
I believe that we had problems right from the start. The brew never bubled in the fermenter, maybe we didnt have the lid on firmly enough. I went to screw it down even more firmly and guess what - I ended up putting my fist through the side of the fermenter it was on that tight.:doh: (gaffa taped it back up :C)But we tested with the hydrometer to make sure it was finished. (after about 10 days)
The brew shop said maybe we had the fridge too cold which they reckon can kill the gas. ?????
They even suggested that it may have been a dud can of brew mix or yeast in the first place because it didnt bubble in the fermenter to start with. :((
We have now got a second brew ready to keg. I hope this one goes better in the bubbles department. Any hands on help would be great. Anyone around the Logan City area who can show us how they do their gassing would be great. I just cant seem to follow written directions but can learn from watching others real quick.
Any offers? :?
Thanks , Neil.

bpj1968
29th November 2009, 01:41 PM
If there hydrometer indicated it ferments then it would be right, likely a dodgy seal, need a new fermentor anyway
If teh homebrew shop suggested it hadn;t ferments, get a new shop. Wort tastes sickly sweet to start, yeast makes it taste like beer, if it tastes like beer, it is, and the yeast worked!

Can't say I have heard that cold beer goes flat, in fact the colder the beer the more gas dissolves in it and stays dissolved longer, just open cold can and a warm can and see the difference.

I don;t know much about kegging beer, but some suggest taht you fridge it to gas it quicker, as well as rolling it around the floor. From what I understand there are three steps, 1. high pressure to force gas into beer. 2. reduce pressure to storage level. 3. some gas pressure to force out when drinking.

Perhaps it wasn't carbonated properly in step 1, and instead, step 3 was gassing the beer/pouring, which is why it went flat so quick as the gas wasn't fully dissolved.

Have a look at this site, may give you some pointers.

homebrewandbeer.com Forum • View topic - How to carbonate kegs (http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2003)

Can't help with kegging, can help with drinking, but Logan City is just a wee bit too far