PDA

View Full Version : Wood for rocking horse

Tedalls
3rd November 2009, 05:27 PM
I am currently trying to get started on an old fashioned carved rocking horse and thanks to Len Elliott (The rockinghorse man) have now got some good starter tips and a great DVD. What i need now is the timber!! Len suggested Malaysian Kauri (see other posting) which i am struggling to get in or into WA.:C
Can anyone (especially from the WEST) give me suggestions re type of timber and suppliers. According to the plans i have i need 250 x 38 in lengths totalling 6 mts. I intend using an Arbotech or similar, but of course it needs to be easy to work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Stopper
8th November 2009, 07:07 PM
One of my customers is now using paulownia in his rocking horses. He makes the base out of blackwood with a finish that shows the grain. The horse is made of paulownia and painted. It would be OK in a clear finish as well. Should be available in WA.

cheers
Steve

Tedalls
9th November 2009, 06:22 PM
Thanks Steve

I am struggling to get the sizes i want (250 x 38) or similar in WA, do i read that you may have a supply or know of some contact in the east who would be prepared to sell to us over here in Wait Awhile?

Martin

DJ’s Timber
9th November 2009, 06:30 PM
Send a PM to BobL (http://www.woodworkforums.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=9450), he may have something suitable from his stash or know of someone who may have something suitable