PDA

View Full Version : Veneer trimmer needed

Dengue
4th November 2009, 11:16 AM
Can anyone please recommend a veneer trimmer for timber veneer glued on a 2400 long plywood sheet edge? It only needs to remove about 2mm either side of the sheet

regards,
Jill

joez
4th November 2009, 12:18 PM
If it were me i would use a block plane. Those trimmers are ok for plastics, but on timber veneer you'd most probably get tearout.

joez

Sturdee
4th November 2009, 03:21 PM
Jill,

I bought mine from Lincoln Sentry a few years ago, works well but you have to be careful when you get to the end or corner, For that I still use my rather sharp putty knife to cut it with. Still need to give a final quick sand with very fine sandpaper.

Carbatec had them at the time but they were dearer than Lincoln & Sentry were.

BTW I feel great at the moment, back to working in the workshop, and improving all the time.

Peter.

Dengue
4th November 2009, 04:08 PM
BTW I feel great at the moment, back to working in the workshop, and improving all the time.

That is really good news, sturdee, you have really been on a rocky road for a while now

kind regards,
Jill

China
4th November 2009, 10:02 PM
121200 Why not make your own, Imade one like this 35+year ago and still use it today

Dengue
5th November 2009, 07:04 AM
Very simple and very effective. Well done China! Definitely the way to go for me.

many thanks,
Jill

Dengue
7th November 2009, 12:58 PM
Well, I made one of China's jigs up OK, and tried it out, but without too much success I admit. :-

Could be that the Contact Cement that I quickly used had spilled out of the join edge, and redirected the angle of the razor blade away from the work.

I was using 1mm thick PVC edging

I was intending to use it on sheets 1500mm long

regards,
Jill

China
7th November 2009, 09:52 PM
Sorry my very quick drawing may have misled you, the razor blade should not protrude below the bottom of the groove, this gives it more stability. Also by adjusting the thickness obove the groove in the main body will give you any overhang you may desire. I have never used it on pvc, but it should work fineon timber veneer as is in your original post. For pvc you may want try something like a stanley knife blade

Dengue
7th November 2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks China, I shall give it another go tomorrow. I am really keen on the idea of this tool.

regards,
Jill

ian
7th November 2009, 11:38 PM
Jill
if you only have a few metres to do, a mill file might be all you need