PDA

View Full Version : Electric motor

Dingo Dog
4th November 2009, 06:10 PM
Blokes

Need some help with an electric motor, before I dumped my treadmill machine I removed the motor hoping to use it to jury rig a system for the mill table. However the stats on the motor are as follows.

Volts HP RPM Field
180 1.5 4,000 PM

Rotation
CW

Can this motor be wired up for a 240v GPO. I will not be doing the job on the motor, will use a registered electrical tradesman for that.

DD

Blu_Rock
4th November 2009, 06:54 PM
Hi, your treadmill motor will be a 180v DC (direct current) 1.5 horse power motor whereas mains power is 240v AC (alternating current). You cannot hook the motor up directly to the mains unless you also salvaged the motor control board and associated speed control gear. If you did not get the control board and associated electrics, a DC speed control setup (DC voltage regulator or a pulse width controller) can be purchased commercially like this one (https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009110401502586&item=11-2269&catname=electric). Hope this helps.

Dingo Dog
4th November 2009, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the info Blu-roc, dont think I will bother with it now, will have to source an old wiper motor from a wrecking yard. Thanks all the same bloke.

Cheers

DD