PDA

View Full Version : Tormek Gouge Jig - manufacturing error

rsser
5th November 2009, 05:53 AM
Recent versions have the arrow on the knuckle-joint in the wrong place. It throws the bevel angle out by 5 - 10 degrees compared to the settings given in the table.

See Manufacturing error SVD-185 (http://www.tormek.com/en/jigs/svd180/svd185_arrow.php)

I was cursing a variety of things when failing to get the perfect results that Tormek advertise but fortunately there is a Tormek forum and the US sales manager is active on it.

I've sent an email to the local distributor to see if they have the stickers but in the meantime will mark the correct position with a felt-tipped pen.

The error has only recently been discovered by Tormek (though my jig is months old) and you might bring this to the attention of your turning friends or club.

jefferson
5th November 2009, 08:22 AM
Ern,

I may wrong, but I think Ken W. got onto Tormek some months back. A bad mistake / blunder on their part.....

Jim Carroll
5th November 2009, 08:29 AM
Jeff what ken was on about was the markings were different in that they did not mark all the segments as in 2 4 6 unlike his where they were all marked 0-6

There is still the 6 indents on the arm but harder to read you actually have to stop and set properly as you can be slightly out if you just go by the numbers.

Just got a new one out of the box and there is a sticker with an arrow on the head so we may already have the problem fixed here.

rsser
5th November 2009, 08:37 AM
That's good to hear Jim.

Frankly I'm a bit peed off that posts weren't made on key WW forums.

I started using the jig just reproducing the existing tool geometries with the felt-tip marker method. Then got the TTS with a view to standardising geometries. Then found the table angles weren't being ground but didn't know whether that was my technique, inconsistency between the BGM and the wetgrinder or probs with my Scheppach.

(And in addition to that Tormek Aust are adding a bonus 2nd mount to the BGM til Jan. Regret I bought one early. T is starting to stand for Tarnished in my eyes.)

hughie
5th November 2009, 10:21 AM
Ern,

Given the price of the Tormek range I would be in the same mind as your self, seeing they start at $1000 plus.

For me the price is some what over the top considering what it is...now I have up set a few. :U

You could do the whole lot for far less if your handy with metal work, at the end of the day its a grinder. albeit some what up market.

Big Shed
5th November 2009, 10:47 AM
Know how you feel Ern, it is always disappointing to find high price doesn't necessarily equate to quality.

Was reading a car users' quality survey in The Age the other day and saw that Mercedes/BMW/Audi were around 25th in the list, so go figure, way behind some of the Korean cheapie makers.

jefferson
5th November 2009, 11:08 AM
I agree entirely with you, Ern. For the $, it shouldn't have happened. But it did.

And Ken W. and I couldn't get a true Ellsworth grind on my 12mm HT gouge either. :rolleyes:

But can I say that at least Tormek have tried to correct the mistake on the gouge jig? And they are always making their product better e.g. the new tool setter, the levelling gizmo plus the new black wheel. I also like the new jig that attaches to a spark grinder. Saves a lot of time (and your wet stone) when doing the initial shaping.

Calm
5th November 2009, 12:04 PM
Ern,

Given the price of the Tormek range I would be in the same mind as your self, seeing they start at $1000 plus.

For me the price is some what over the top considering what it is...now I have up set a few. :U

You could do the whole lot for far less if your handy with metal work, at the end of the day its a grinder. albeit some what up market.

I'm with Hughie on this one - a lot of money for a grinder - now to hear tell freebies, mistakes in manufacturing, when is the right time to buy one? :?:?

With my next 2 tool purchasers being a Domino ($1800) and a tormek ($1500) i am wary about buying too quickly. Maybe wait for some secondhand ones to come on the market - or import. Tools seem to be just too big an expense sometimes - or am i fussy about what i buy?

Cheers

hughie
5th November 2009, 12:45 PM
Tools seem to be just too big an expense sometimes -

You could probably buy a down market similar tool from Bunnies etc and then make up all the attachments, all up less than 300-400 versus top of the range Tormek of 2800 or so.:o
In fact you could probably pay an engineer to make them and still come out on top.

OH my thats set the cat amongst the pigeons....:U

or am i fussy about what i buy?

Yeah, maybe, who else is gonna look after your money :U

Wayne Murray
5th November 2009, 01:25 PM
Hello. I work for Promac, we distribute Tormek in Australasia. I would like to address a couple of issues that have been raised here.
The bonus deals that are currently on offer; a free axe (rrp$120) if you buy a T-7 machine & a bonus XB-100 ($35rrp) with every BGM-100 bench grinder adaptor kit. CALM - these offers are designed to make you buy if you have been sitting on the fence - no difference to Coles offering a special on a can of pineapple! If you don't want to buy then don't buy.

I will remind everyone that any units bought overseas do not have warranty in Australia and may also not meet Australian Standards. You might like to factor that into your calculations. Promac has been distributing Tormek in Australia for over 23 years - we offer full support including regular training sessions for retailers and demo days for consumers. We keep a full range of spare parts and accessories and every Tormek accessory fits every Tormek machine made. I would suggest you try to buy spare parts for a Triton wetstone grinder or get any advice out of them! Compare instruction manuals, quality of jigs, torque to the wheel, life of the wheel (around 10 times!), quality of manufacture and number of angles offered (65 instead of 4).

As for the cost; A Tormek T-7 will outlast most of us. Even if it only lasts 20 years - If you buy a T-7 and every jig that Tormek makes (around $2000 total) that means you are paying $100 per year for ALL your sharpening! Good value i would say! Cheapest is rarely the best - otherwise all of you would be driving Russian made Lada cars.

If any of you have a real issue then please call me - my number is on our website (www.promac.com.au (http://www.promac.com.au))

With regards the issue with SVD-185 jig, the mistake was made when the casting was updated. Promac has stickers available to remedy the situation. Again, please contact my office and we will post it out to you at no cost. We didn't immediately address this issue because it affects very few users - those users who are affected can remedy it with a sticker. While it is regretable, this is the first error i have known Tormek to make in over 13 years that i have been selling them - i can't make that same claim and doubt many of you bloggers could either.

Anyway, I am sure many of you will wish to respond and all i will say is feel free to call me if you have any issues and i will address them as best i can.

Best regards.

Wayne.

jefferson
5th November 2009, 01:41 PM
With my next 2 tool purchasers being a Domino ($1800) and a tormek ($1500) i am wary about buying too quickly. Maybe wait for some secondhand ones to come on the market - or import. Tools seem to be just too big an expense sometimes - or am i fussy about what i buy?

Cheers

David and others,

All I know is that every time you defer a purchase for 12 months or so, the price goes up and up.

I got my long-bed VL300 in 2006 for $4200. Check the price now.

Domino for well under $1500, maybe 18 months ago.

Things may change for imported items, with the AUS$ so high, but I doubt it.

ToothFairy
5th November 2009, 01:53 PM
<quote> "Things may change for imported items, with the AUS$ so high, but I doubt it."</quote>

At least PWS have dropped prices - across the board, at that! - but that's what Shakespeare called "a good deed in a naughty world"; I'm not waiting for anyone else to follow suit.

- Michael

Calm
5th November 2009, 04:14 PM

Anyway, I am sure many of you will wish to respond and all i will say is feel free to call me if you have any issues and i will address them as best i can.

Best regards.

Wayne.

Wayne thank-you for taking the time to come on the forum and answer those points raised.

I very much appreciate it when a company takes time to address consumers in a public forum

Have a greenie:2tsup::2tsup:

Cheers and good luck

PS. i will eventually buy one it is my normal "no i dont need it" before i just open the wallet and get it.

jefferson
5th November 2009, 05:09 PM
Hello. I work for Promac, we distribute Tormek in Australasia....

If any of you have a real issue then please call me - my number is on our website (www.promac.com.au (http://www.promac.com.au)) ....

While it is regretable, this is the first error i have known Tormek to make in over 13 years that i have been selling them - i can't make that same claim and doubt many of you bloggers could either.

Best regards.

Wayne.

Wayne, I missed your response when I last replied. I already have a Tormek (bought in maybe 2001), so you don't need to sell me one!

You still haven't told me how to get a true Ellsworth grind though....

And the biggest mistake Tormek ever made was not bringing out the new truing jig earlier....

Like Calm said, a brave 1st post. (Stop surfing and get back to work!)

PS. i will eventually buy one it is my normal "no i dont need it" before i just open the wallet and get it.

Calm, you have the deepest pockets....... :D:D:D

You have (one of the) best lathes on the market and you still refuse to sharpen your chisels properly ...... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There will be THREE Tormeks here at Xmas (plus Ern's Scheppach if he is so inclined - very welcome here Ern as you know). Jim C. will also be here hopefully with his auto $ machine and a T7 for sale.....

Why not bring the little 750 up with you on the trailer so I can play on it again?

rsser
5th November 2009, 05:40 PM
Wayne,

Thanks for your post.

Jeff Farris from the US says the gouge jig manufacturing error was only discovered recently. Fair enough. Mistakes happen. Since they started shipping in Jan others like me must have quietly struggled with it without the benefit of any kind of recall notice. A post on maybe 3 or 4 forums worldwide would have done the job, and saved me a deal of aggravation and expense.

And that kind of customer care is what one would expect of a Rolls-Royce tool with a price to match. Frankly, it's not good enough.

And those of us who started on the jig with the trial and error method of marking the bevel with ink and going from there will need new settings labels if we mark the correct registration point on the jig. Again, with a RR tool it surprises me that a user has to suggest this second essential step for you to take to recover from a c*ck-up.

jefferson
5th November 2009, 07:01 PM
Ern (and others),

even though I use the new Tormek tool-setting device (which sets the tool in the jig and the bar distance from the stone), I still check (maybe every 3rd sharpen) with the texta. Same as continually checking your saw for square.

I'd add that the Tormek system doesn't work well with all flute shapes. Some beak, others do not. No idea why and probably don't care anyway.

John Saxton
5th November 2009, 07:02 PM
Just came across this thread,I don't have this jig yet do have some others that go with the T7.

A proactive response to keep us informed is always welcome and especially welcome from the manufacturer/agents so a pat on the back for Wayne and his company for being up front.

Cheers:)

rsser
5th November 2009, 07:11 PM
They 'beak' if you spend too long on the wings Jeff.

Johnno, the heads-up was mine. I don't know whether Tormek here or in the US has, or had, plans to inform users.

John Saxton
5th November 2009, 07:46 PM
They 'beak' if you spend too long on the wings Jeff.

Johnno, the heads-up was mine. I don't know whether Tormek here or in the US has, or had, plans to inform users.

Apologies Ern, should have included you with the pat on the back as you did bring it to our attention.:2tsup:

A greenie for your efforts.

Cheers:)

Sawdust Maker
5th November 2009, 08:47 PM
Wayne
Nice of you to come on and explain :2tsup:

I for one would like to purchase a T7 (especially after a certain write up in a certain woodworking mag by a certain forum member :cool:) plus the turners pack.

My problem is the up front cost - a bit steep to get past the chancellor in one hit :((

How about a christmas offer for forum members - something like an initial payment of $200 or $300 and then 10 or 12 monthly payments of the rest of the loot, interest free sort of arrangement, and a competitive initial price? That way it doesn't hurt our hip pocket all at once.

What's the chances?

RETIRED
5th November 2009, 09:48 PM
What about lay-by?

Sawdust Maker
5th November 2009, 09:53 PM
What about lay-by?

Shh
I wanted to use it whilst paying it off :U

RETIRED
5th November 2009, 09:59 PM
http://www.morewoodturning.net/Ellsworth%20Grind%20on%20Tormek.pdf (http://www.morewoodturning.net/Ellsworth%20Grind%20on%20Tormek.pdf)

Jim Carroll
6th November 2009, 08:38 AM
http://www.morewoodturning.net/Ellsworth%20Grind%20on%20Tormek.pdf (http://www.morewoodturning.net/Ellsworth%20Grind%20on%20Tormek.pdf)

Good find :2tsup:

rsser
6th November 2009, 09:11 AM
Handy.

Yes, a jig with a marked no. 6 setting came out of the factory from Jan with the error.

And you can make your own TTS; get the bar distance from the wheel right, then mark up a bit of ply. Drill a 1/2 hole (or two) slip it on the bar, place ply against wheel side, mark the arc then drive a couple of nails 3" or so apart on the arc and at right angles so as to rest on the wheel. Clear as mud?

Grumpy John
6th November 2009, 11:52 AM

And you can make your own TTS; get the bar distance from the wheel right, then mark up a bit of ply. Drill a 1/2 hole (or two) slip it on the bar, place ply against wheel side, mark the arc then drive a couple of nails 3" or so apart on the arc and at right angles so as to rest on the wheel. Clear as mud?

And to ensure perfect accuracy this work must be carried out in a temperature controlled clean room with the thermostat set to 20 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_1) Deg. C :p

rsser
6th November 2009, 12:24 PM
Nah, you make one for each 5 degree temp bracket.

Correction: nail spacing on mine is 2". Will start thread in Sharpening if there's any interest.

AUSSIE
6th November 2009, 12:47 PM
Why don't they offer a new correctly marked replacement.Not just supply a sticker that may fall off one day.The money you have paid for them,they should sharpen the tools themselves,and properly.

rsser
8th November 2009, 11:57 AM
The bonus deals that are currently on offer; a free axe (rrp$120) if you buy a T-7 machine
Wayne.

At 13" long prob best to call it a hatchet don't you think?

jefferson
8th November 2009, 12:53 PM
I still haven't put the new black wheel on the Tormek yet. I'll wait will arrives later in the week and compare grinds for the ASP 2060 Hamlets and the HT Kryos on the grey and black stones.....

NeilS
8th November 2009, 01:58 PM
At 13" long prob best to call it a hatchet don't you think?

Usually, but not always, according to Gransfors Bruks (http://www.gransfors.com/htm_eng/produkter/yxorkofotar.html).

rsser
8th November 2009, 03:48 PM
Neil, even that link describes the 35 cm unit on offer as a hatchet.

Houghton Mifflin American Heritage dictionary:

n.
A small, short-handled ax for use in one hand.
A tomahawk.
[Middle English hachet, from Old French hachete, diminutive of hache, ax, of Germanic origin, akin to Old High German happa, sickle.]

efgee88
8th November 2009, 08:45 PM
I've got one of these hatchets. Sharp as . . . and a great little tool around the house.

As for the Tormeks . . . everytime I hear a representative of an importer defending their product in Australia, I am left to ask myself where the discrepancy between cost of the product in Aus as compared to OS can be justified, especially when the dollar is strong at the moment. When I was a pro photographer (pre GST days) I struggled with the same thing. You could buy stuff from the US for about half to 60% of the cost here.
I want to support Australian companies, including importers, but it annoys me when they don't lower their prices when the Aus dollar improves, and they always increase their prices when the dollar goes down. With the GFC elsewhere in the world, I would have thought prices of imported goods should be pretty keen right now.

Hey Mr Tormek, how about doing a real hatchet job, and bring your prices down to a realistic level for us mere mortals?

Cheers,

FrankG

Calm
8th November 2009, 10:14 PM
:ranton:

This thread is turning into the real reason i believe that Importers/manufacturers/businesses don't go onto Forums to explain things..

Wayne as his first post on this forum came on and tried to explain the points raised in the first couple of posts - most of the posts since then have been members taking cheap shots and making snyde remarks about his post.

I don't think most of these members would have the courage to stand in front of the man and say these things to his face.

Grow up and give the bloke a chance and remember to treat people the way YOU would like to be treated, with a bit of respect.

:rantoff:

AUSSIE
8th November 2009, 10:21 PM
I'll tell anyone what I think of them Calm

rsser
8th November 2009, 10:48 PM
And I've made my points in the full expectation that he'll be receiving alerts about new posts.

His firm has received an email from me requesting the sticker, and neither there nor here have I been hiding my identity.

You say most posts have been about cheap shots or snide remarks. ... that's hiding behind generalities David. Get specific or get off the pot.

rsser
9th November 2009, 07:28 AM
Oh, and as for the explanation ...

David, would you say it was good enough if you'd received your S750 with a fault that Rob C knew about but had decided not to make public because so few are sold? Then only went public because another user had? And it was a fault at the heart of the selling point of the machine?

efgee88
9th November 2009, 08:07 AM
Calm, I apologise to you and anyone else on this forum if you thought I was being disrespectful or nasty - I didn't mean to be.
However I do still always wonder why goods like these in Australia are so much more expensive relative to our OS cousins. I wonder if folks in the US are prepared to pay as much as we do? That was the point I was trying to make really - which I suppose hijacks Erns posting in some way - sorry Ern!

Ah heck, I'm just going to play on my lathe now . . .

Cheers,

FrankG

Jim Carroll
9th November 2009, 08:58 AM
I've got one of these hatchets. Sharp as . . . and a great little tool around the house.

As for the Tormeks . . . everytime I hear a representative of an importer defending their product in Australia, I am left to ask myself where the discrepancy between cost of the product in Aus as compared to OS can be justified, especially when the dollar is strong at the moment. When I was a pro photographer (pre GST days) I struggled with the same thing. You could buy stuff from the US for about half to 60% of the cost here.
I want to support Australian companies, including importers, but it annoys me when they don't lower their prices when the Aus dollar improves, and they always increase their prices when the dollar goes down. With the GFC elsewhere in the world, I would have thought prices of imported goods should be pretty keen right now.

Hey Mr Tormek, how about doing a real hatchet job, and bring your prices down to a realistic level for us mere mortals?

Cheers,

FrankG

Frank you may not have noticed but the Tormek is manufactured in Europe so not controlled by the US$ but by the Euro which has only moved about 3% over the year unlike the US$ which has moved 30%

rsser
9th November 2009, 11:24 AM
Here are some comparisons.

The US prices are from Amazon* in Australian dollars converted at today's rate using XE.com (which will be a few percent higher than the rate you get with a CC or PayPal).

Gouge jig 185
Aus: RRP 160 US: AUD 90

Multi jig SVS 50
Aus: RRP 118 US: AUD 65

Tool setter TTS
Aus: RRP 46 US: 32

T-7 machine
Aus RRP around $1100, (can be found for 950-965); US: AUD 640

If you hunt around here you can find jigs at 10-15% lower than the RRP.

Of course you're not going to bring in a T-7 without additional major costs like a step-down transformer.

If you buy several jigs at a time, or the kit, and hunt around for the best postage deal, it makes sense to order them in from overseas. It's a global market. Increasingly you see importers of camera gear setting their prices based on research of the type I did for this post: local dollar equivalent + shipping.

Like Frank, I think that keeping jobs in Oz is important; and getting good local service can be important depending on the item. I've bought all my Tormek gear locally but have sourced Jet jigs from o/s.

----------

* Note: Amazon don't ship this stuff to Australia but you can use a US friend as a forwarder or use one of the companies set up to do this. (Sometimes with Amazon's export restrictions you can go direct to the retailer for whom Amazon is just the shopfront, and get them to ship.).

Jim Carroll
9th November 2009, 01:08 PM
Here are some comparisons.

The US prices are from Amazon* in Australian dollars converted at today's rate using XE.com (which will be a few percent higher than the rate you get with a CC or PayPal).

Gouge jig 185
Aus: RRP 160 US: AUD 90

Multi jig SVS 50
Aus: RRP 118 US: AUD 65

Tool setter TTS
Aus: RRP 46 US: 32

T-7 machine
Aus RRP around $1100, (can be found for 950-965); US: AUD 640

If you hunt around here you can find jigs at 10-15% lower than the RRP.

Of course you're not going to bring in a T-7 without additional major costs like a step-down transformer.

If you buy several jigs at a time, or the kit, and hunt around for the best postage deal, it makes sense to order them in from overseas. It's a global market. Increasingly you see importers of camera gear setting their prices based on research of the type I did for this post: local dollar equivalent + shipping.

Like Frank, I think that keeping jobs in Oz is important; and getting good local service can be important depending on the item. I've bought all my Tormek gear locally but have sourced Jet jigs from o/s.

----------

* Note: Amazon don't ship this stuff to Australia but you can use a US friend as a forwarder or use one of the companies set up to do this. (Sometimes with Amazon's export restrictions you can go direct to the retailer for whom Amazon is just the shopfront, and get them to ship.).

So by getting all this together adding your mates freight and sending into aus then getting a transformer you are no better off ? Looks good on paper but when all said and done stick local keep us in work and keep the local economy ticking over.

rsser
9th November 2009, 02:12 PM
As I said Jim, I prefer to buy, and have bought Tormek, locally.

My post was a follow up to Frank's about pricing differences. At the comparison shows there are large ones.

The cost-effectiveness of buying overseas wasn't my main point and there's more to be said. I wouldn't buy power tools because of the shipping and transformer costs. For smaller non-powered items it's different. Many US online retailers ship free within the US and a mate there can get std size shipping boxes for forwarding that are pretty cheap and that few retailers appear to offer.

Grumpy John
9th November 2009, 03:04 PM
I have done a small sample of prices for Tormek gear and the results are below. I used the Tormek (http://www.tormek.com/en/distributors/index.php) site as a reference for suppliers and I used the iGoogle currency converter to convert o/s prices to AU$.

BriMarc Tools & Machinery
Devon U.K.
Tormek T-7 Sharpening System: ₤399.95 AU$721.008

Tormek TNT-708 Woodturner's Accessory Kit: ₤189.95 AU$342.431

Tormek T7 + TNT-708 Woodturner's Kit Package Deal: ₤539.95 AU$973.393

Craft Supplies USA
Online Store
Tormek T7 Wet Sharpening System: US$585.99 AU$633.708

Tormek Woodturners Kit: US$289.99 AU$313.604

Tormek T7 + Tormek Woodturners Kit: Not Listed

Promac Australia
Tormek T-7 Water Cooled Sharpening Machine with Grinding Stone: $1207.92

TNT-708 Tormek Woodturners Accessory Kit: $491.50

Tormek T7 + Tormek Woodturners Kit: Not Listed

I don't know exactly where the problems lie with the high prices Australian consumers cop, whether it is with the "OEM's" charging premium prices for comparatively small shipping quantities, or with the importers quoting shipping costs (as if they import one unit at a time) as the reason for the pricing discrepancies. There is no doubting that the Australian consumer cops a belting when purchasing ANY imported product, whether it be a motor car, consumer electronics, cameras and it is unfair to single out Tormek as if they are the only company that charges a premium price for their goods. I'm not passing judgment here, just posting some figures and having a bit of a vent. I feel better now :D

NeilS
9th November 2009, 10:22 PM
Neil, even that link describes the 35 cm unit on offer as a hatchet.

I'm not quibbling with you, Ern. I'd call any small headed axe that's only 35cm long a hatchet.

I was just bemused that Gransfors will call one that is 48cm a Splitting Hatchet, yet another that is also 48cm a Hunters Axe. Length doesn't seem to be their only criteria for calling one an axe and the other a hatchet.

Anyway, I'm off topic, so best give it the :chop: ...:U

rsser
13th November 2009, 12:32 PM
Promac has stickers available to remedy the situation. Again, please contact my office and we will post it out to you at no cost. .....

Best regards.

Wayne.

Wayne, my email requesting a sticker was read by your office Tuesday week ago.

It was not replied to.

No sticker has arrived in the mail.

Ern Reeders

rsser
24th November 2009, 02:29 PM
Update:

Spoke to Wayne last Tues and he was accumulating names to post stickers to.

Spoke again today and yes they're going to be posted out.

The good news is that Tormek have started making replacement arms and they will be posted out too in due course.

PS. The Gransfors hatchet that is a temp bonus with the T-7 did arrive today. While not a deal maker for me it's a very nice piece of kit. Comes with a useful booklet on history, use and sharpening etc. And it is indeed very sharp. Prompts me to get out my Plumb hatchet and Kelly axe and see how they go on the Tormek.

GoGuppy
24th November 2009, 08:33 PM
Hi Ern
(Quote) The good news is that Tormek have started making replacement arms and they will be posted out too in due course. (Unquote)

Does this mean you'll be getting one? Great news if so.:2tsup:

However...... Regarding the quality control issues at Tormek, I was amazed to read on their US website the other day that Jeff Farris stated re a current problem a US forum member had with another jig the following:

(Quote) It sounds like your [SVH-320] jig is from the batch mentioned previously that was out of square.(Unquote).:oo: :oo:

How many more skeletons in the cupboard do they have????:no:

rsser
24th November 2009, 08:37 PM
Yes, that's right, and it was news to Wayne of our distributor.

I got the sense from that post that it was a while ago.

Anyway, they're very stylish skeletons. Made in Schweeedn no less :cool:

NeilS
24th November 2009, 10:21 PM
PS. The Gransfors hatchet that is a temp bonus with the T-7 did arrive today. While not a deal maker for me it's a very nice piece of kit. Comes with a useful booklet on history, use and sharpening etc. And it is indeed very sharp. Prompts me to get out my Plumb hatchet and Kelly axe and see how they go on the Tormek.

Agreed, Ern, GB make great axes and a real cute, but useful, booklet that comes with their axes

For me it's a real toss up between the GB axes and hand-forged Japanese axes (with laminated blade). Both very nice in their own ways. But for Australian hardwoods, your Kelly would be about right.

RETIRED
29th November 2009, 06:50 PM
Ern and Neil, the remaining posts have been moved here.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f111/japanese-knives-109164/

rsser
30th November 2009, 11:17 AM
Good move. Thanks .

rsser
24th December 2009, 10:03 AM
Promac have sent out a replacement arm with the arrow in the right place.

Get in touch with them if yours is one of the duds.