PDA

View Full Version : Buying a New Lathe

leighd
12th August 2004, 11:23 PM
I might be getting a new lathe soon and so far my choices are the MC-900, MC-1100 and Delta 14inch.

I was wondering if the delta was worth like the extra $250 over the MC-900?

I could buy a good chuck with $250 and if i bought the delta i proberly wont buy a chuck for a long time beucase i will still need tools.

Is the 1100 better than the 900 besides the extra 200mm lenth. I think i read it had a 1hp motor instead of a 3/4 on the 900, how much difference will this make?

So my budget is about $725. I can borrow some tools off someone else but i wanted to buy a good bowl gouge.

smidsy
13th August 2004, 12:00 AM
Hei Lee,
I've never used the Delta Lathe but I swear by my MC900.
I guess the thing to find out is where the Delta is made - if it's made in China you might as well get the MC.
In terms of the 900 or 1100, do you ever envisage turning anything 1100mm long? If not you might as well save a few bucks and get the 900.
Carbatec are doing a deal at the moment - the MC900, plus a chinese chuck and a set of half decent chisels for $459.
I notice that you live in Kelmscott, you may like to come over to the Liddlelow turners group in Kenwick, they've got a couple of MC900's so you could have a play on one and quite a few of us have the chuck and chisel that Carbatec are offering so you could get some decent information.
PM me if you want contact details for Liddlelow.
Cheers
Paul
(AKA Smidsy)

gatiep
13th August 2004, 12:13 AM
Leighd

I personally will not spend the extra on the more expensive lathe. It smells and looks like the MC900/MC1100, however the ultimate choice is yours.
You are right on the comparison between the 900 & 1100. The 900 has 3/4 hp and 150 centre height, 900 centre to centre. the 1100 has 1 hp , 175 and 1100 respectively. The 1 hp does make a difference if you turn large diameter bowls and platters but not much on spindle work. Both have a swivelling headstock.
I have used a 900 from Carbatec with the M30 x 3.5 spindle for some years since I came to Australia until I bought a Vicmarc 175 in June. However I have not disposed of my MC 900. Obviously it is not the ideal lathe ( neither is the Vicmarc ) but it is good value for the price. I received two specials flyers in the post and Carbatec is $100 cheaper than the opposition on exactly the same MC 900, Turning tool set and Economy chuck.
It is woodshow from tomorrow till Sunday , here in Perth, why not check out the specials at the show.
Good luck

rsser
13th August 2004, 08:52 AM
Another feature of the 1100 is that the headstock not only rotates but slides - this makes outboard turning easier by providing more scope to position the toolrest.

And the MCs are not all the same - like bandsaws, the manufacturer only sources the parts and assembles them, so components like motors, bearings and belts can vary. This accounts for some of the variation in price.

That said, Carba-tec sell reputable stuff and for your budget you can get a solid setup that's terrific value; it will feed your addiction until you can't live without a bigger hit ;-}. Like Gatiep, my habit took me from an MC900 to a Vicmarc 175.

Alastair
13th August 2004, 04:06 PM
All

My missus has had a windfall, and most kindly offered to upgrade my late, so I have been looking around. Anything would be an improvement, as I have been turning since I started in 1998 on an old patternmaker's lathe, which my grandfather reconditioned from scrap in the 1930's, and used to make bagatelle sets during the depression. I recovered it when in HSC, had 1 try, 1 massive dig in, and left it in my dad's garage for 30 years, before trying again after his death.

The monster is solid cast iron, and has a hulking great motor about the size of a 20L bucket. Will turn 1000mm between centres, and swing a 600mm platter over the bed. The tailstock is fabricated from sheet steel, and 2' plumbing fittings!

Pretty it is not; smooth it is not; strong it is. On it I have turned from pens to 600 mm bowls. Extensive mods have been done, but the bugger is just so rough, that the diminishing returns have cut in.

Enough history; I have been looking around, with a view to the replacement.

At TAFE we have used the old GOLDIE, as well as VICMARC , but all industrial, and no longer current. Our Guild has the short LEADY, which I find nice but limited. I am beyond the MC's, as I have been spoiled by the capacity of the beast. In addition, I wanted to stay with brands supported locally, so ignored the UK and USA. To my mind that left VICMARC and TEKNATOOL. While I drooled over the VL200, the tag of $2500+ (and $3000+ for the 175) was beyond what I can justify.

Ultimately I am led back to the NOVA 3000. I don't like the concept of the integral motor on the DVR, and question the relationship between speed and torque they claim.

So I will probably get the 3000, wth one extension bed, and mount it on the cast iron stand of my old 'monster'. I will keep the old guy in the back room, in case I need to do something ridiculous.

Now I just need to get the cash in hand, and make the trip out to TREND --------!

Thanks

I feel much better for sharing that!

Alastair

rsser
13th August 2004, 05:36 PM
Alastair,

It's obvious that the old and solid has served you well, but if you're going Teknatool go for the DVR!!!. And I speak as a Vicmarc owner ;-}

Search the rec.crafts.woodturning newsgroup for posts about it, in partic from Lyn Mangiameli

Direct digital control drive is the way to go.

(Carrolls Woodcraft have them for $2550).

Ozartisan
13th August 2004, 10:06 PM
Alistair
As a proud DVR owner, I suggest you twist Adrian's arm at Trend & get him to let you turn something on one of his DVR's so you really can see how smooth it is - & the claims of torque are not exaggerated.
I did a 1 day workshop at Trend last weekend - & was on one of the Nova 3000's - nice lathe - but I really missed the minute speed control of the DVR.
Anyway - that's my 2 bobs worth
Peter
Happyinsydney :D

Red neck
13th August 2004, 10:45 PM
About eight months ago I laboured over both the Vicmarc and Woodfast. I was working to a budget of about $2500 and the variable speed Vicmarc was out of my league. The VL200 and Woodfast without stands but including fixed speed motors were both in the $2,500 price range. The Teknatool DVR was suggested as an alternative and I settled on that machine after some extensive research.

Eight months down the track I would have to say I am extremely pleased I listened to the advice given. Firstly the DVR delivers 2.3 HP at the drive spindle – no belts therefore no slippage which I understand accounts for a twenty per cent loss in power on belt drive lathes. The lack of belts and pulleys eliminates vibration from the drive train. As the chisel works the wood, torque is applied to maintain the speed within a few revolutions of that selected by the operator.

Its other major attribute over the VL200/VL300 is the swivel head capability.

Positives:

Variable speed control – no belts.
100 – 3,500 RPM
Swing 400 mm over bed and 740 mm with headstock at 90 degrees
2 MT
Never under-powered
Wide range of accessories including chucks, outrigger, vacuum coupler, tool-rests, revolving centre systems, bed extensions and cast iron stand.
Excellent manuals and support over the internet – in English!
Smooth operation
Warranties – 5 year limited (2 year on electrical parts)

Negatives:

Slow speed change – but faster than changing pulleys!

Price
Currently selling for $2,399 including free Super Nova chuck at http://store.yahoo.com/gpwoodturning/tekdvrlat.html
Or $2,550 at http://www.cws.au.com/

Wayne Blanch
14th August 2004, 01:02 PM
Hi Leighd,
From all that I have seen on this forum the MC900 is a good machine and when I went to get my lathe I was intending to get one of them. However once I saw them side by side I decided on the Delta.
This was a couple of months ago and I am really pleased with it.
At the time I looked at them, I thought that the legs on the Delta looked a little better and I that the Delta generally looked of heavier construction and with a better finish. I also think that the tool rest on the Delta looked more versatile.
Rsser mentioned that the 1100 has a headstock that not only rotates but slides, this is also the case with the Delta.
When I got my Delta the MC900 was $379 plus the cost of the legs of $129, this made the price difference only $141. At the time I thought that the extra was worthwhile and I still think that I made the correct decision.
If you can, maybe you should go to Carbatec and have a look at the two together and decide from there.
I hope that this helps.
Wayne.

smidsy
14th August 2004, 01:25 PM
Just to clarify.
The MC900 comes complete with a set of pressed steel legs, the legs Wayne mentions for $129 are cast iron legs which are an optional extra.

I have the standard legs and I have turned 200mm square 100mm thick lumps of jarrah that were badly out of balance - and my lathe is not even bolted down.
Given what I have done with my lathe I think the standard legs are more than adequate.
Cheers
Smidsy

rsser
14th August 2004, 02:11 PM
I put a shelf on the rails of the standard legs and then a 40kg bag of cement on that - helped damp things down a bit :-}

smidsy
14th August 2004, 03:04 PM
Hei Ern,
I think if you are turning peices that are massively out of balance that you will get vibration & walk no matter what legs you have. In some respects the steel legs could be better because they would have a little bit of give in comparison to the cast legs.

As I said, mine isn't bolted down and it seems fine - a little bit of walk when a turned a massively out of balance blank, but that blank was so far out of balance nothing would have made a difference.
The other day I turned the head to 45 degres to turn a blank that was about 340mm and the lathe was rock steady.
If I thought it needed the cast iron legs I would buy them but so far I don't think they are necessary.

One thing I have thought of doing, is instead of bolting the lathe down use two anchor bolts in the floor attached to the lathe via a heavy springs - this would secure the lathe but also allow a certain amount of give under extreme conditions.

Cheers
Paul

Grunt
14th August 2004, 03:31 PM
I could buy a good chuck with $250

I can save yourself some big bucks by getting a slab of beer and drink it all in a few hours. You'll have a good chuck for around $30.

smidsy
14th August 2004, 03:39 PM
With that second hand radiator water that you Victorians call beer I bet you could have a good chuck for $30. :D
Cheers
Paul

Toggy
15th August 2004, 10:46 PM
I have an MC900. It is fairly sturdy & reliable.
Has had the usual sticking problem with the variable speed. It also has noise and vibration in the variable drive.
Cleaning up the dags on the pulleys & shaft and lubrication fixed the sticking. The vibration appears to be from the join in the v belt. Replacement belts give noticable different vibration levels. As to the clatter; I have found it to be wear in the drive dogs. One day I will try & make up some new split pulleys out of better quality material. Or maybe some new cone pulleys with multigroove belt. The belt changing inconvenience would be still better than noise & vibes.

On a different slant; finally really put the Jet mini to use today. 2" redgum spindle work & a pen blank to try out the new mandrel spacers. Absolutely fantastic. Leaves the 900 for dead.

Ken

smidsy
15th August 2004, 10:55 PM
I actually haven't had a problem with the drive system on my MC900, it's worked fine.
Cheers
Paul

adrian
16th August 2004, 11:39 AM
I had pretty much the same problem with the variable speed on my MC900. Couldn't budge the mongrel straight out of the box. Had to take off the cowling and a dab of oil on the shaft eventually forced it to move. I also had a problem with the belt but mine was a little different. It was upside down, bevelled side up. Don't ask me how!!! When I turned it back the right way and started increasing the speed the belt flipped back upside down. It lasted a week and then broke. Carbatec were very good. I got a replacement belt in a couple of days. No problem since.
I have the vibration problem when going into endgrain. The speed lever vibrates and the cowling resonates and makes a hell of a noise. If I could get away with it I would take the cowling off but that would be more trouble than it's worth, not to mention the danger.
I think the guys who were building my lathe were out partying hard the night before with the guys who made my chuck.
But I still love the lathe like an ugly girlfriend.

Alastair
16th August 2004, 01:24 PM
Guys

Thanks for the detailed input. I will take it into account, and have a rethink, and will let the group know how I finally decide.

Then you can endure me gloating over my new baby ad nauseum !!!!!!!!!!

Alastair

leighd
16th August 2004, 08:45 PM
I just ordered the MC-1100 and has anyone had anyprobelems with this lathe?

smidsy
16th August 2004, 08:52 PM
I have the 900 and it is a good lathe, although the cast iron bed makes it a heavy sucker so you will need a hand putting it together.
Did you get any goodies with it?
Cheers
Paul

leighd
16th August 2004, 09:13 PM
i got a crown 32mm roughing gouge and i can borrow some other tools of my dads friend for a while. I might get a bowl gouge next and a parting tool and i think that should be good for a while.
I might be able to get a free skew about 30-40mm and i was wondering if it is ok to grind them into one of the bowl finishing scrapers? becuase i dont really use a skew and the scraper would be more useful.

rsser
16th August 2004, 09:27 PM
Yep Leigh, grind away!

Just take it slowly, and use a carborundum stick to unclog your wheel often; move it fast to and fro to stop it glazing

smidsy
16th August 2004, 09:30 PM
Leigh
If I was I would get the shop to do a deal on a set of chisels.
http://www.timbecon.com.au/productsdetail.asp?sectid=12551&parentid=12479&prodid=27691

The above link will show you a set of chisels (it's the timbecon site but Carbatec sell the same set) which are a good balance - they are good enough to do some great work with but cheap enough to learn to sharpen on.
Last time I looked Carbatec were doing this set for a bit under $100 which is less than what you would pay for three individual chisels - get the shop to give you a good price since you've just bought a lathe from them.

As a relative newbie it's best to get an all round set and then buy individual chisels when you know exactly what you want to do.
If you want to make your own chisels Carbatec has a great range of tool steel blanks for $10 to $20, easy to grind the shape you want and then knock up a handle - I made a 10mm gouge and it works great.

One thing I would highly recommend is the Liddelow Woodturners group in Kenwick. This group is relative unstructured in that you are free to do your own thing in terms of projects but the instructors will help you as and when you need it.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
16th August 2004, 09:38 PM
Please do not try and move the speed adjustment lever while stationary. It is designed to be moved while the lathe is running plus it needs regular lubrication. For most home workshop users never more frequently than once a month. Just remove the cover and spray some Inox on the assembly, put the cover back before switching on the lathe to prevent a lot of Inox spraying onto the wall etc.

I have bought a Vicmarc which costs 10 x more than my MC-900 and in the Vicmarc manual they tell about lubrication and bearing adjustment etc, yet some people seem to expect that a MC-900 should run forever without a lube and clean out. Beats me. Please remember that a lot of sanding dust settles on the shaft assembly and the dust soaks up any lube which then causes the assembly to seeze up.

The MC range of lathes are very good and SAFE entry level lathes and most turners never do or need to step up to a better or more expensive lathe. Basically a wood lathe is a shaft that spins a piece of wood, not rocket science, it needs to do that safely and effectively......that is important. Some people talk about accuracy.....well quite oposite to a metal lathe the accuracy is not really in the machine but in your turning...which is a freehand operation. How many of turners can turn an exact cylinder 500 mm long or four identical looking table legs. My guess would be...very few. Although I bought a Vic after a lifetime of turning, I havn't disposed of my MC-900 as there are some instances where I would rather use the MC.

Solid safe build, user friendly, easy to use, standard accessories and availability, durability, guarrantee, backup and affordability ,are the order in which I look at a lathe. ( In fact most things that I buy ). If one buys on price only, one has to be prepared to accept what you pay for.

DanP
17th August 2004, 02:19 PM
the cowling resonates and makes a hell of a noise. If I could get away with it I would take the cowling off but that would be more trouble than it's worth, not to mention the danger.

Adrian,

Try taking the cowling off and put small rubber washers between the cowling and the body of the headstock. Should dampen the vibration.

Dan

smidsy
17th August 2004, 02:35 PM
Hie Guys,
One thing I have noticed with the MC900 is that the engine positioning is not the greatest in that you have the main vent of the motor right next to your work and this may be an issue in terms of dust getting in to the motor.
Is this an issue, has anyone ever thought about a cover of some kind to shield the motor.
Cheers
Paul

adrian
17th August 2004, 06:34 PM
Dan.
Thanks, I'll give that a try.