PDA

View Full Version : Removing Shellac on boat

peregrins2
13th August 2004, 12:02 PM
Hi,

I've been reading the boards and I think I have this right but just in case:) :

We have a "new-to-us" fiberglass boat with a whole lot of teak appointments interior. Most of the bulkheads, doors, trim, etc...all "varnished" but old enough to be dark and covered in tiny cracks.

Huband was taking a heat gun to it and it turned all gummy and then black and smoked like it was burning. We think it's shellaced! He got a lot off by scraping but LONG, difficult job that way!:eek:

From what I've read, our route should be 50% Denatured Alcohol, 50% Laquer Thinner? I need to remove all, have used heat guns and furniture stripper for regular varnish, etc...not afraid to do what it takes.

Thanks for your info!:cool:
Bill and Diane
S/V Argonaut

Christopha
13th August 2004, 03:35 PM
Hi Peregrins two, it sounds like you are on the right track but I suggest you repost this in the "finishes" section of the forum just in case Shane hasn't seen this..... when Neils away Shane is our resident finishing "Guru"..... good luck and what about some pics of the boat?

GlennD
13th August 2004, 10:37 PM
My guess is that the coating is unlikely to be shellac. Metho will disolve it if it is shellac. It may be a product called "Deks Olle". This is an oil type coating distributed in Australia by the Flood Co that sell Penetrol etc. Retailed by boat chandlers. If it is "Deks Olle", sanding may be the only option, followed by one of the timber rejuvinating brews sold in paint shops.

Glenn

fxst
14th August 2004, 10:04 PM
Im with Glen on this one I would almost bet its Deks I use it and the only way to remove it is sanding. I tried the heatgun trick on a small area and it did exactally what urs did.
Oh the joys of owning a sailing vessel :p
Pete

bitingmidge
16th August 2004, 05:13 PM
If it is Deks, the good news is you just need to sand it a bit and lay on a new coat. Sounds more to from your description that it may have a coat of varnish over the top, or vice versa...hence the cracks.

Deks Olje was once my favourite teak finish...sand it back and recoat twice a year and it looks loverly.... but then I discovered sanding, bleaching and leaving teak grey!!

Paint stripper is also worth a try, but dont' get it on anything you don't want to damage!

Cheers,

P